Softbox / Umbrellas

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsybitsyspidy

Jul 5, 2004
Does anyone knows where to buy softbox for speedlights like SB-600 and SB-800? Looking for softboxes from medium to large sizes, preferbly portable.

What about umbrellas? i.e. Stand + Umbrella so i can mount my speed light on it and use it like a strobe light.

Please advise!

Hi Dude,
I think umbrella is more practical than softbox for your flashes.:) Just my POV.

Hi Dude,
I think umbrella is more practical than softbox for your flashes.:) Just my POV.

Hi bro,

but if i not wrong, umbrella cannot get as diffused/soft light a softbox can give right?

Jack

Hi bro,

but if i not wrong, umbrella cannot get as diffused/soft light a softbox can give right?

Jack

Maybe, but to a certain extend only. The size of the soft box & the distance & angle you place the softbox also factor in the softness it can produce.
The full power of a 60 CT-4 Metz flash only equivalent to a 200w Professional flash output that use in a studio. And even a 250w Professional studio light is barely enough to do small items like some products shots & etc.
So you can imagine how much power you really need actually. An umbrella is more versitile in a sence that it's more convenient than any softbox. You can fold it down & keep it in seconds. And it also come in semi-white, silver, translucent & so on...And the bounce angle it can cover is around 120 degree. You can even shoot through the translucent umbrella to get the softness you want to achieve by adjusting the power of your flash.
Well, this are just to my knowledge only dude. Hope there's some good samaritans to explain to you even further if you still got any questions. Cheers man!:)

a softbox can give you a softer light, and it is work best when it is the same size as your subject and place it very close to your subjects.

but if you place the light far away, than the you will lose the power and the softness, you will be better off with using umbrella instead.

oic thanks for the replies. i'll most probably be using it to do food photography. so i'm guessing a softbox will work better in this case?

anybody knows where to get softboxes to fit SB-600/SB-800?

yes, basically umbrellas is flooding the light, softbox will have better control, but if you are using for food photography, I doubt you can create the lighting effect (using the SB800 with softbox) the way you want it without modeling light.

nevertheless, this, try Cathy photo.

yes, basically umbrellas is flooding the light, softbox will have better control, but if you are using for food photography, I doubt you can create the lighting effect (using the SB800 with softbox) the way you want it without modeling light.

nevertheless, this, try Cathy photo.
There's modelling light on SB-800 (quick flashes) and SB-R200 flashlight (LED light)
SB-600 I think also can... Just use your commander (SB-800 or SU-800) to remotely turn on the modelling light...

But of course, a flash is a flash, cannot compare to a real strobe...

Thx Youhong and catchlights, but most of the umbrellas mount on light stand right? Anyway to make it mount on a tripod?

Dominican Food is my inspiration for food photog, using SB-600 and softboxes too! :D

For food products maybe you should use a light tent!

For food products maybe you should use a light tent!

mm... don't like the idea of light tent, sometimes also wanna capture the table, background, utensils etc.

mm... don't like the idea of light tent, sometimes also wanna capture the table, background, utensils etc.

Then I think you need a very large softbox. Unless you can get a super-big shoot through umbrella which is almost the same as a large softbox!

Then I think you need a very large softbox. Unless you can get a super-big shoot through umbrella which is almost the same as a large softbox!

walked past CP today. saw a huge softbox inside. I'm looking for something smaller and more portable so i can mount it on my sb-600 on my tripod....

anyone knows what kind of "mount" the softbox needs to be to mount on the speedlight?

walked past CP today. saw a huge softbox inside. I'm looking for something smaller and more portable so i can mount it on my sb-600 on my tripod....

anyone knows what kind of "mount" the softbox needs to be to mount on the speedlight?

Photoflex makes one which can mount on most Nikon and Canon flashes. I have one with me now. Quite versatile.

the link is at post #8

He needs something small and portable. The Photoflex Litedome XS is 30x41x23cm. Way too big to be considered portable.

Photoflex makes one which can mount on most Nikon and Canon flashes. I have one with me now. Quite versatile.

He needs something small and portable. The Photoflex Litedome XS is 30x41x23cm. Way too big to be considered portable.
are you refer to this one that you are using? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.