soft image reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LENS

Apr 8, 2005
I took this 2 images, and notice both got some kind of soft image issue, initially i thought it is due to hand shake, but a second look i think there could be some other issue, what do you think? i got some clues but would like to see what you guys think..

I took them on film,

Wat were your settings?

Looks a lil like DOF was thin... low light scenes right?

Camera,Lens, Film, settings?

I was using 50mm f/1.4 nikon lense...

actually for what i see on the film the DOF is actually not thin.. but i do notice there is a glowing effect that makes the image soft..

i am actually wondering issit 'diffraction' of smaller aperture?

I am not really sure what aperture i was using, but usually i will try to use smaller aperture for scene like this..

anyway, i would like to hear more of what you guys conclusion just base on image that you have seen..

Can't tell just by the pic as it may also be a problem during the scanning... :dunno:

So, if you have the full details, we would be able to pin-point better...

I took the pictures in a evening with quite dramatic light..

since i was taken with film, i can't really tell what is the aperture i was using..

i used a manual camera, 50mm f/1.4 Ais, handheld..

but do you guys think it is due to handshake? or do u think 'diffraction' can cause effect like this?

thanks.

lookin at the pic, its not really unsharp. the edges of the pillars are sharp and there is details in the staircase.

i suspect there is lots of stray light around as the floor was wet. and if u tink the vehicles are soft, perhaps they really are. cus w the engine on, they are vibrating, and w a slower shutter, will appear fuzzy.

dun tink "diffraction blurness" will be visible on film, not small ones anyway. or even bigger ones. cus when u blow up excessively, the pic comes apart cus of grainsize/noise.

Last edited:
Hmm... both pictures are sharp at the left and soft at the middle and right. It could be a lens or camera problem. Do you have such issue with other pictures taken by this lens? And pictures by other lenses?

check your negative w a loupe.

maybe there is nothing wrong w your equipment.

possiblility, lousy print job (eg film not flat).

I attach 2 more pictures that taken same time, i think i was using 1/30s handheld, but with some hand support on rail.. since i am using 50mm lense, as general rules 1/60 should be the minimum but i think with some support on rail, 1/30 should be okay?

since it was a evening scene, i guess i may have used bigger aperture size instead of smaller aperture size that i have mentioned.

could it be the soft result when the aperture is at its biggest opening?

thanks.

More like DOF and motion blur...

Status
Not open for further replies.