soft focus in dslrs a norm d70

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Nov 21, 2004
hey guys just an update, have checked with dzens of experts and non experts alike and it seems that pro level dslrs have generally a focus issue...sort of.

because the camera does minimum processing images do generally come out soft...as compared to point n shoot cams and whatnot...and it seems that usm is a general rule....why? dunno....

but this site has some good examples of what images look like .

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70PICS.HTM

what do you guys think?

agree?...but it does seem that a d70 ..gives you this problem...anyone can explain why?...sharp photos should be the norm right or am i expecting too much? and btw , generally most images taken with a d70 are soft(unprocessed images).. and heavy sharpening has to be done

Witness said:
i am not facing this problem......

explain??....does that mean that your images come out crystal clear sharp?

without sharpening in anyway...either in custom settings on the cam or image manipulation?....can post clean images to show?

thanks.

jobo said:
explain??....does that mean that your images come out crystal clear sharp?

without sharpening in anyway...either in custom settings on the cam or image manipulation?....can post clean images to show?

thanks.

if the images on your portfolio are what i think they are.....digital format....then i assure you they are soft in focus.....at least thats my two cents worth...

with good lenses and correct holding techniques, you could get pretty sharp images straight from camera without post processing.

It's not a focus issue, it is the sharpness setting.

The camera maker assumes that since u are buying a almost pro equipment
so they give you the option which usually defaults to a soft setting.
You can always set the sharpness setting in your cam higher
and the straight output will be as sharp as those of P&S

However, it is preferred to be soft, cause u can always USM it
but u cannot Un-USM a overly sharpened pict.

most of the photos in my portfolio are in film...i only switched to digital awhile ago..... nuttin much on it yet.... even so....most were with my old lenses which were not so interesting ....

cheers..... comparing my film to my digi..... definately film is sharper.....but the softness issue doesnt appear till u really blow it up ya.....

i dun face this prob as well.. it's exactly like what mpenza has said..
on the other hand.. could it be a DOF issue for ur case?? if u were to shoot at f4 and above.. no matter wat lens u use i would safely say the image will be sharp.. maybe u might wanna do a check on the settings of ur cam.. :)

imho.. some photos need not be sharp at all times... it depends on what and how u wanna capture the shot..

It's not the processing that's the main issue.
All cameras, be it p&s or dSLR, with CCDs using Bayer Interpolation to push out the final pic, will be soft if you look at "per pixel". Even the expensive 1DsMkII or whatever cam. And that's a fact.

Applying USM on a 100% crop picture output with a Bayer CCD only accentuates actuance. It does not increase detail.

You can take a 6mp dSLR like 10D and a 4mp sigma SD10 which uses Foveon X3 sensor, and they will both get you the same end usable resolution.

Witness said:
most of the photos in my portfolio are in film...i only switched to digital awhile ago..... nuttin much on it yet.... even so....most were with my old lenses which were not so interesting ....

cheers..... comparing my film to my digi..... definately film is sharper.....but the softness issue doesnt appear till u really blow it up ya.....

well most of my prints have been in 4r and they came out ok...
the problem is..(i think)...that i was viewing the images on a pc monitor and when zoomed to the 100% it looked soft(3008x2008) but when zoomed out it looked ok...well kind of anyway.
as for d70 we gotta remember the largest size it outputs(3008x2008) is really really huge and that does not mean that it will print that way. when resized a 6mb pixel image would give you a really good image up to an A4 size only.( at least thats what ive been reading)

.the soft images that i mentioned were not a matter of DOF....i have bracketed the Aperture as well as the shutter(just in case) and varied the iso. and as far as the nikon tech is concerned the cam and the lens are TIP top.

Status
Not open for further replies.