Soft Filter for Portraiture Shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yipee

Anyone like to share your experience on this - What is your favourite filter for shooting portraits? What makes it stand out from the rest? :)

Some differing opinions so far.

personally, I've used B+W soft filter before. The effect is not that fantastic.

Man y of the pros agreed that Nikon Soft & Contax Soft are the best around. However, when you see the photos by each, you can spot the difference betwee the photos taken by either of them. The Contax uses ring soft while Nikon uses hatched lines.

But the camera shop people recommended the Minolta soft filters. The bad thing is they comes in a set of three. No separate sale. But accordingly, they're the best in the market. Somehow I hardly hear of people using this dset of soft filters.

I used to use Nikon Soft Filter and liked it a lot. I agree that there will be a visible differece between Nikon and Contax. If you have seen them both, which do you prefer?

Now my favourite method is to do softening in PS.

Can brief how u perform this in PS?

I tried a diffuser filter with my 35 and 50mm lens.
Don't like the effect. Too soft.
If I want softness, I much prefer to do it with PS.
Can adjust the level of softness to my liking, unlike the filter, which does not give you a choice.

Anyone wants to buy a second hand 52mm diffuser?

i prefer the NIKON SOFT 1....tried the B+W soft-image..i dun like it...using photoshop nicer.....

If you are shooting using digital media... I believe that PS will be more economic and useful. Softening can be easily done using most image editor and the extend/intensity can be easily controlled. And one more point, if you shoot with the filter, you ultimatewly get a soft picture... Let's say after seeing the picture, you think you might not want to softness, there is no way of undoing it. But softening using software, you still have the unsoften image to go back to.

That's my personal view and the reason why I did not buy my other softening filters other than my first cokin soft, light

Originally posted by Flare
If you are shooting using digital media... I believe that PS will be more economic and useful. Softening can be easily done using most image editor and the extend/intensity can be easily controlled. And one more point, if you shoot with the filter, you ultimatewly get a soft picture... Let's say after seeing the picture, you think you might not want to softness, there is no way of undoing it. But softening using software, you still have the unsoften image to go back to.

That's my personal view and the reason why I did not buy my other softening filters other than my first cokin soft, light

Yeh, you are right...maybe I should invest in other then the soft filter..always wanted the IR. Hmmm okok IR will be then!

Originally posted by siron

Yeh, you are right...maybe I should invest in other then the soft filter..always wanted the IR. Hmmm okok IR will be then!

buy buy buy... QIAN QIAN HUAN QIAN AH!! haha!

Originally posted by tomshen
Can brief how u perform this in PS?

There should be many ways to do that in PS.

What I do is:

- Copy the entire image to a second layer
- Apply Gaussian Blurr to the second layer and adjust the Opaqcity to 25~30%. The amount of blurr and opaqcity can be varied according to your taste.
- Merge the 2 layers when you are happy with the results.

Remember to save the edited picture in a different file, so that you have the original in case you would like to try other effects.

You can refer to Siron's first "Sweet Lady" post in Portraits and Poses subforum, where I edited one of the pictures.

- Roy

Originally posted by roygoh

There should be many ways to do that in PS.

What I do is:

- Copy the entire image to a second layer
- Apply Gaussian Blurr to the second layer and adjust the Opaqcity to 25~30%. The amount of blurr and opaqcity can be varied according to your taste.
- Merge the 2 layers when you are happy with the results.

Remember to save the edited picture in a different file, so that you have the original in case you would like to try other effects.

You can refer to Siron's first "Sweet Lady" post in Portraits and Poses subforum, where I edited one of the pictures.

- Roy

I've always wanted to know how to do the soft focus effect in my pictures, now thanks to you I managed to do it successfully. Thanks so much! :D

zoe-expo.jpg

Originally posted by AstralPrue

I've always wanted to know how to do the soft focus effect in my pictures, now thanks to you I managed to do it successfully. Thanks so much! :D

zoe-expo.jpg

You are welcomed.

I am always glad to share what I have learned. That's one of the purpose of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.