Social Photography Project - The Singapore Love Series [First Meet-up on 6th April]

veelim85

Mar 25, 2013
Singapore
Hi, I am looking for people to join me and start a social photography project together. I hope that by doing this, we as photographers, can help create a better Singapore through photography.

I hope to have a meeting with fellow photographers who believe in creating a better Singapore. So I am proposing 6th April but location is not confirmed. I hope to discuss with whoever participates what we want for this project. I have some initial ideas but I'm open to new ideas. I already have 3 people who have stated interest. Just looking for more people to join because I believe that this project can be one that is by the people for the people.

If you believe in that, please respond on this thread. You also pte msg me if you'd like. I will respond asap.

Thank you. :)

thank you for taking such initiative, I hope you can share more what you have in mind here, you will gain better understanding and also supports from members, even some of us may not able get involve physically.

I would suggest you have a thread in Kopitiam for ideas gathering and discussions solely, and keep this thread for meeting arrangement.

hope this help.

Let us know what is needed to kick start your initiative.

ClubSNAP and its member will support whatever we can for such good effort.

Hi, I am looking for people to join me and start a social photography project together. I hope that by doing this, we as photographers, can help create a better Singapore through photography.

I hope to have a meeting with fellow photographers who believe in creating a better Singapore. So I am proposing 6th April but location is not confirmed. I hope to discuss with whoever participates what we want for this project. I have some initial ideas but I'm open to new ideas. I already have 3 people who have stated interest. Just looking for more people to join because I believe that this project can be one that is by the people for the people.

If you believe in that, please respond on this thread. You also pte msg me if you'd like. I will respond asap.

Thank you. :)

thread moved to kopitiam

this section is for actual photo outings with locations and timings and itinerary

May I suggest staying in the longer forum and participating and actually KNOWING the different personalities and personal strengths of folks here first ? THEN you'll know who you're dealing with and how they can contribute to your project

You'll get all sorts of people with different skill levels , different commitment levels and different hidden agendas if u go about it like this

Share your ideas here as Simon has mentioned above ....

Last edited:
You'll get all sorts of people with different skill levels and different commitment levels if u go about it like this

got cats and dogs and goats and the once in a while human species...

thank you for taking such initiative, I hope you can share more what you have in mind here, you will gain better understanding and also supports from members, even some of us may not able get involve physically.

I would suggest you have a thread in Kopitiam for ideas gathering and discussions solely, and keep this thread for meeting arrangement.

hope this help.

Hi! Thank you catchlights for the advice. Well, I actually have initial idea for the project. Initially, I wanted to gather 5-6 photographers and 5-6 other people who are non-photographers together. We will pair one photographer to a non-photographer and ask that these strangers entrust one day with each other. We would ask the non-photographer to show the photographer what he/she loves most about Singapore and let the photographer document it with pictures.

The whole point of this is to encourage Singaporeans to come together to trust each other and build relationships. I hoped to make a more inclusive and loving society with this project. But I understand that this may not resonate with everyone. So I would like to hear opinions of what photographers think and whether they believe the same as I do about Singapore - That we can become a trusting and inclusive nation should we simply choose to do so. :)

I don't quite get it. So the non-photographer will become something like a model for the photographer?

can be a SDU thing leh! pair a lonely single photographer with a lonely single XMM...;p

ok, on a more serious note, i think it's a good idea but not sure pairing them up will work. Imagine the non photographer telling the photog to take this pic, take that pic throughout the whole day. ... Personally, i will talk to a group of elderly, say at the old folks home..ask them about their memories of Singapore, and then i will go out and take pics, present to them a photobook of what i hope is equal to their beautiful memories of Singapore.

i would love for videography to be included though..

Hi! Thank you catchlights for the advice. Well, I actually have initial idea for the project. Initially, I wanted to gather 5-6 photographers and 5-6 other people who are non-photographers together. We will pair one photographer to a non-photographer and ask that these strangers entrust one day with each other. We would ask the non-photographer to show the photographer what he/she loves most about Singapore and let the photographer document it with pictures.

The whole point of this is to encourage Singaporeans to come together to trust each other and build relationships. I hoped to make a more inclusive and loving society with this project. But I understand that this may not resonate with everyone. So I would like to hear opinions of what photographers think and whether they believe the same as I do about Singapore - That we can become a trusting and inclusive nation should we simply choose to do so. :)

I must say it is not easy for me to understand at this point of time, but nevertheless, keep the conversation go on, so we can understand better.. :)

Last edited:
sounds like he has tourists coming and wants free tour guides.... weird thread.... there was on like this a few weeks ago also.

The whole point of this is to encourage Singaporeans to come together to trust each other and build relationships. I hoped to make a more inclusive and loving society with this project.
To be frank: well copied from ST headlines, taken from the power station team speeches. This is such a common place that it's hard not to agree and also hard to make heads and tails here. Instead of such a generic and cloudy approach I would suggest you go and document people, situations and occasions where Singapore is not inclusive. There are many and it's not difficult to find. Bring the attention to people left outside, not included into whatever your picture of the society is. It may not resonate that well with those who created and voiced the cloudy slogans of inclusive society, but well, it's more honest, imho.