Social Outcasts

rcyrulez

Apr 29, 2011
social_outcasts_by_rcyrulez-d41die0.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
General composition and aesthetics

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
I was hoping to show the dilapidation of the broken pier, giving an image of an old, unwanted and forgotten pier, in contrast with the modern skyscrapers in the background.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken at Tanjong Rimau beach, Sentosa

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
I personally like the composition. Would have preferred more realistic colours, but had to make it an hdr due to the stark contrast in exposure between the foreground and background. Still, I generally like the painting-like feel that the hdr gives.

if possible, can consider a higher perspective to seperate the 'outcasts' from the background ? It helps in separation

nearby foreground did not really add to the image ...... try cropping it off and see how you like it ?

keep it up ! :)

Like ed9119 said, foreground can be excluded by going closer. Forego the right hand side, maybe be shift more to the right, exlcuding the background greenery might help bring out the contrast you were trying to portray.

Composition aside, this is a way overdone HDR with haloing being extremely visible, and patchy light.

Dial down your tone mapping settings for something that looks a lot more natural..

Camera placement is excellent. You are good with form and space for this one. Printing however could have been done better. Hope that helps!

JS

i would have preferred to call it "outcast" due to the lone pillars of the I Beams on the right-hand side of the frame. like the others said, going in closer to minimize the back-and-foreground will cause your subjects to stand out stronger without the other distractions.

I think it was a great shot and processing by itself but the "social outcasts" feel just isn't strong enough. I thought by outcast means to isolate out the subject, even at the 1st glance. But nonetheless... great effort.. *thumbs up*

Thank you so much for the feedback guys! :)

If not for the topic, I wouldn't know whether the foreground or the background is the subject.

The "outcast" (overcast?) feel is also patchy. Needs a little more light handedness and evenness for the PP.

Maybe a more simple and toned down B&W image might be easier to create and present.