Soccer/Football Match: Suitable lens from spectator stands

toxicboy

Nov 28, 2010
Planet Earth
www.flickr.com
2 questions:
1. For those who have been to a Barclay's Premier League match in the UK, did you successfully manage to bring your DSLR in for photo-taking?
2. If you did, what lens in your opinion is the most suitable? (Assuming both scenarios of either up in the upper tier stands or in the lower paddock areas)

Cheers
Tox

2 questions:
1. For those who have been to a Barclay's Premier League match in the UK, did you successfully manage to bring your DSLR in for photo-taking?
2. If you did, what lens in your opinion is the most suitable? (Assuming both scenarios of either up in the upper tier stands or in the lower paddock areas)

Cheers
Tox

I help to answer this not because I did went to UK for the match, just what I came across.

I was not at the spectator stand when I had the chance to cover inter-school soccer competition. Minimum 70-200 f/2.8 if you want some good shots. Thats where I am at the side line. Spectator stand are actually very far away, you need at least 300mm, f2.8 or f2.0. That's for the standard soccer field with a 400m track around it. I suspect the UK stadium is much larger and further right ? Probably >300mm ? This is for FF

I would recommend a lens like a 70-400 or 200-400. But you will almost certainly not be allowed to bring it in. Just watch the game.

from spectator stands? throw ur camera at home and watch the game.

there is a good reason why football photography on the field, everyone uses a 400mm f2.8 coupled with a crop factor body and a 70-200 2.8. if ur gonna be at the stand, ur better off leaving camera at home.

Have you really asked yourselves, are you going there to watch & enjoy the show? Or just to take photos?

Or, you have the fetish to watch soccer match via the viewfinder? =P

Thanks for the various replies, guys.
With a time duration of more than 2 hours (considering early entry, slow dismissal), it's not just 20mins - I am sure one can be both there to enjoy the atmosphere AND to take some shots.
But sounds like DSLRs would be banned from the game.
Maybe should get a APS-C Sony Alpha NEX 7 with 55-210mm lens (>300mm reach) to be less conspicuous? Or an Olympus PEN.
Quite sure such pseudo Point and Shoots would not be stopped?

Might be better to ask this on the football club fan forums instead - they can let you know about the attitude of the orderlies and what kind of cameras they can bring in.

Did a simple search in the net and this is what I get,

No person (other than a person who holds an appropriate licence) may bring into (or use within) the Ground any equipment which is capable of recording or transmitting (by digital or other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any data or information in relation to the Match or any aspect of it.

However, Mobile telephones are permitted within the Ground, provided that they are used for personal and private use only PROVIDED THAT no audio, visual or audio-visual mateiral captured by a mobile telephone may be published or otherwise made available to any third parties including, without limitation, via social networking sites.

The Club, any police officer or authorised steward may refuse entry to (or eject from) the Ground any person that fails (or in the Club's reasonable opinion is likely to fail) to comply with these Ground Regulations or any reasonable instruction issued by a police officer or authorised steward.

Refused entry to (or ejection from) the Ground may lead to further action by the club, including, but not limited to, the withdrawl of any season ticket (without reimbursement), Club Membership and other benefits.

ref: Photographing the Football League or Premier League - Talk Photography

So if I was to understand wrongly of what these statements meant... it means that you are not allow to bring any recording equipment to record the game. And puting aside the moral mumbo jumbo aside, you might risk being refused entry into the game. Other than all these hurdles... I would suggest a 70-200mm f2.8 or at least a 300mm f2.8 lens.

Did a simple search in the net and this is what I get,
ref: Photographing the Football League or Premier League - Talk Photography

So if I was to understand wrongly of what these statements meant... it means that you are not allow to bring any recording equipment to record the game. And puting aside the moral mumbo jumbo aside, you might risk being refused entry into the game. Other than all these hurdles... I would suggest a 70-200mm f2.8 or at least a 300mm f2.8 lens.

Thanks Rhino! Yes it's true that by the rules stated no cameras of any sort are allowed.
Following the link led to more links and similar discussions, apparently the Liverpool grounds are quite relaxed, will be my must-visit stadium. Mixed-bag feedback on DSLRs for the other stadiums but generally all get away with P&S cameras.
Will try my luck then. I have a 70-300mm VC (but 4-5.6, not 2.8 though) on a 7D. Hope I get away with it... wish me luck! =)

im not sure if you can bring in any photography item..but i do know their check and scan can be very stringent and they can be rough and harsh. (part of it is to ensure the game goes smoothly). It will be very crowded also i guess and you are so far away. forget it ill say. but thats me.. looks like you have made your choice already. Good luck then.

I went to Old Trafford in May and watched a game inside. Brought my 500D gripped, 75-300 and 17-40. No problems at all. They didn't even ask me anything. If you need any other advice feel free to pm me.

Remember to get wide angle or fisheye to capture the whole stadium view.

I went to Old Trafford in May and watched a game inside. Brought my 500D gripped, 75-300 and 17-40. No problems at all. They didn't even ask me anything. If you need any other advice feel free to pm me.
Different stadiums have different rules and regulation.
I know some N-power League (2nd div league) are quite strict at their stadium.

My friend been there and nearly got into trouble.

shaoken said:
Different stadiums have different rules and regulation.
I know some N-power League (2nd div league) are quite strict at their stadium.

My friend been there and nearly got into trouble.

Yeah diff stadiums probably have their own rules.

let me give u my estimates. the last i shot a football match, it was at jalan besar stadium where i can get up close and cosy.

at the sidelines. 70-200mm on a 60d. my shutter was around 1/500, iso around 1.6k. i'm either shooting at f2.8, else at f4.

chances are, from the spectator stand, at an INTERNATIONAL stadium, especially EPL matches, u will not get a good enough shot. 300 mm * 1.6 is about what. 480mm at 5.6 (based on ur equipment)? if i shoot on the field, i give up shooting beyond the midfield line (and thats me at 200*1.6 at 320mm f2.8) . remember that this is shooting from the on the field. i seriously doubt that shooting from the spectator stand will get u anything at all.

dun just consider whether u can bring ur camera or not. consider if u can even get a photo, on both the focal length, the image size, image quality and ur exposure settings. if ur expecting to do sports photography, i'll say forget it. if its just a few photos of the crowd, a birds eye view, perhaps.

simply put it. its too darn far for u to shoot much.

just hope u understand and not get ur hopes too high up. sports photography is pretty much out of the equation.

just give u an estimate. 200mm, from the corner shooting right across to the other on the same half of the field. this is just barely hitting the mark, at a small stadium in SINGAPORE.

5868032445_c8294976e9.jpg

and if u compare.... this is old trafford.

Old-Trafford-Stadium.jpg

unless ur smack right at the front seat..........

Last edited:
allenleonhart said:
let me give u my estimates. the last i shot a football match, it was at bras besar stadium where i can get up close and cosy.

at the sidelines. 70-200mm on a 60d. my shutter was around 1/500, iso around 1.6k. i'm either shooting at f2.8, else at f4.

chances are, from the spectator stand, at an INTERNATIONAL stadium, especially EPL matches, u will not get a good enough shot. 300 mm * 1.6 is about what. 480mm at 5.6 (based on ur equipment)? if i shoot on the field, i give up shooting beyond the midfield line (and thats me at 200*1.6 at 320mm f2.8) . remember that this is shooting from the on the field. i seriously doubt that shooting from the spectator stand will get u anything at all.

dun just consider whether u can bring ur camera or not. consider if u can even get a photo, on both the focal length, the image size, image quality and ur exposure settings. if ur expecting to do sports photography, i'll say forget it. if its just a few photos of the crowd, a birds eye view, perhaps.

simply put it. its too darn far for u to shoot much.

just hope u understand and not get ur hopes too high up. sports photography is pretty much out of the equation.

just give u an estimate. 200mm, from the corner shooting right across to the other on the same half of the field. this is just barely hitting the mark, at a small stadium in SINGAPORE.

and if u compare.... this is old trafford.

unless ur smack right at the front seat..........

Er.. it's jalan besar stadium.

Ya, I agree with what you said on the stadium.
No need to go so far. Just ask those ppl who went to Bukit Jalil n Shah Alam stadium in M'sia.

You can't really take photos of players on the pitch (if u're not seated in the 1st 2 rows).

Er.. it's jalan besar stadium.

Ya, I agree with what you said on the stadium.
No need to go so far. Just ask those ppl who went to Bukit Jalil n Shah Alam stadium in M'sia.

You can't really take photos of players on the pitch (if u're not seated in the 1st 2 rows).

ah my bad. bras besar jalan besar... -==-

Nice! Where were you roughly seated, and did you manage to get any shots that you liked?? Care to share?
Thanks!