So you think you know colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this: http://livelygrey.com/exercises/submenu.html
Some color science knowledge would help, but some of you would be struggling.
As much as 10% of men are colorblind, yet still can distinguish shades of grey.
Phew, luckily I'm not colour blind. However, I realise that my old 15" LCD bought in 2001 cause quite a handicap as it cannot display the variants in light colour tones well.....

I went through all the 9 test, and got it all right. I was awarded a diploma. :thumbsup:

Basically, I don't think those who has little understanding of colors would pass the test. If you haven't studied painting, you won't have known the difference between "Saturation", "Hue" and "Tone". Without such understanding, most would not pass the test.

I would say the tests are testing your understanding of the property of color, more than a simple test of color for the color-blind. It is definitely a good test for arts students, but it is too high a level for normal color-blind test. :bsmilie:

I went through all the 9 test, and got it all right. I was awarded a diploma. :thumbsup:
Basically, I don't think those who has little understanding of colors would pass the test. If you haven't studied painting, you won't have known the difference between "Saturation", "Hue" and "Tone". Without such understanding, most would not pass the test.
I would say the tests are testing your understanding of the property of color, more than a simple test of color for the color-blind. It is definitely a good test for arts students, but it is too high a level for normal color-blind test. :bsmilie:

Sorry for being misleading, it's not meant for colorblind test. Some of the best designers and photographers are colorblind. Our homegrown, John Clang made known to the world his limitation and yet he creates stunning images for a cool million dollars a year. The creator, Igor is a colorist and a web designer. The tests are fun to play with and will help to learn how to classify colors. Which might be useful to improve color communication.

“The perception of color relies on three elements: the light source, object and observer. From a scientific viewpoint, an object does not have inherent color. The perception of color is created solely by the reflection of light from an object. These physical characteristics can be established using a color measurement device. However, no matter what kind of measurement technologies are used, the results should be consistent with visual assessment because the human eye is the final, and most important, judge of color. The way a particular color is perceived usually differs from the way it can be objectively measured.

While it is a fact that the human eye cannot measure colors accurately, it can accurately compare between colors. Two individuals looking at a single color will see it differently, and these two individuals looking at two different colors will still see each of them differently. But – they will see the difference between the two colors with about the same degree of accuracy. What is important here is that individuals experience identical levels of difference when looking at colors.”
Extract from my technical papers written a few years ago for a scientific symposium.

Sorry for being misleading, it's not meant for colorblind test. Some of the best designers and photographers are colorblind. Our homegrown, John Clang made known to the world his limitation and yet he creates stunning images for a cool million dollars a year. The creator, Igor is a colorist and a web designer. The tests are fun to play with and will help to learn how to classify colors. Which might be useful to improve color communication.

“The perception of color relies on three elements: the light source, object and observer. From a scientific viewpoint, an object does not have inherent color. The perception of color is created solely by the reflection of light from an object."

I would like to add another component besides "light source", "object" & "observer", and that is "environment". Because other color objects that are in the surrounding also reflect their light(color light), and these different light will to a certain extent affect the color of the object we see.

Blue objects absorb great amount of red light and reflect blue light. If you see a red object with a high intensity white light shining directly on its surface, of course you see red as red; Red object reflects red light. But if the other side of the red object is in a shade, not directly shined by the white light, then its red color will be affected by the surrounding color light reflected by other objects. In this case, if there is a blue object besides it, then the blue light will shine on the red object, resulting in it looking purplish in color!

A large part of the environment we live in is in shade. We don't really see everything in direct lighting, like what we see in a photo studio where various lighting are pointing at the subject from different angles. Especially, you can witness very vibrant photos of models; All colors are in maximum saturation. This is due to the various artificial lighting shining at the model from different angles, which is not possible in a normal & mundane environment of our everyday lives.

Let's say, if you shoot your model in a park where there is a lot of greenery. With today's digital technology, you won't have to worry about your model looking green in color due to color cast. Especially, if the model is dressed in white clothes, you will see green instead. But those who shoot in film will have to worry about casting, they will normally attach a magenta colored filter to counteract the green color.

Sometime, you can see a slightly magenta color cast on actors/actresses' skin in a TV serial, if you are discerning enough. When you can notice it, you know they have used a magenta filter to counteract the green light; In such case, the scene of the shooting is definitely in a park or where there is a lot of greenery in the surrounding.

“The perception of color relies on three elements: the light source, object and observer. From a scientific viewpoint, an object does not have inherent color. The perception of color is created solely by the reflection of light from an object."

I would like to add another component besides "light source", "object" & "observer", and that is "environment". Because other color objects that are in the surrounding also reflect their light(color light), and these different light will to a certain extent affect the color of the object we see.

Blue objects absorb great amount of red light and reflect blue light. If you see a red object with a high intensity white light shining directly on its surface, of course you see red as red; Red object reflects red light. But if the other side of the red object is in a shade, not directly shined by the white light, then its red color will be affected by the surrounding color light reflected by other objects. In this case, if there is a blue object besides it, then the blue light will shine on the red object, resulting in it looking purplish in color!

A large part of the environment we live in is in shade. We don't really see everything in direct lighting, like what we see in a photo studio where various lighting are pointing at the subject from different angles. Especially, you can witness very vibrant photos of models; All colors are in maximum saturation. This is due to the various artificial lighting shining at the model from different angles, which is not possible in a normal & mundane environment of our everyday lives.

Let's say, if you shoot your model in a park where there is a lot of greenery. With today's digital technology, you won't have to worry about your model looking green in color due to color cast. Especially, if the model is dressed in white clothes, you will see green instead. But those who shoot in film will have to worry about casting, they will normally attach a magenta colored filter to counteract the green color.

Sometime, you can see a slightly magenta color cast on actors/actresses' skin in a TV serial, if you are discerning enough. When you can notice it, you know they have used a magenta filter to counteract the green light; In such case, the scene of the shooting is definitely in a park or where there is a lot of greenery in the surrounding.

It’s called “Metamerism”, there’s no color without light. I think this is a heavy subject to talk in Kopitiam, they may be bored to death reading this.

not that hard what

=/

heehee. yah lor. i didn't have a problem with it despite being clueless about painting and colour theory.

as long as can tell whether one colour is brighter/darker than the next, and what order the colours of the rainbow are... ;p

It’s called “Metamerism”, there’s no color without light. I think this is a heavy subject to talk in Kopitiam, they may be bored to death reading this.

"There's no color without light", of course there would be no color; It will be in total darkness.

Regarding the 3 elements, I suppose "light source" has already included other lights as well, such as reflected lights from the surrounding. :think:

Now you know, by looking at the response to this boring topic. :bsmilie: Anyway, I am just a layperson, not well- versed in scientific terms. But anyone can learn something about color in their environment if they observe frequently their surrounding.

heehee. yah lor. i didn't have a problem with it despite being clueless about painting and colour theory.

as long as can tell whether one colour is brighter/darker than the next, and what order the colours of the rainbow are... ;p

yar hahahaha
just need to rainbow can already
cant go wrong with
红橙黄绿蓝電紫

i'm quite sure the second last chinese word is wrong

I got "Gefeliciteerd : U heeft alle drie de rijen goed gemaakt" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.