So what is a reasonable amt to pay ....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
So much have been commented on "paying peanuts get monkey's standard" on wedding/events photography ......
So what is a reasonable amount to pay "semi-pro or self-proclaimed pro" for such events .... of course we are not referring to the real Professional or ppl in the trade but those part-timers/weekend photographers, etc..? Of course we are also not talking about the standard or quality of the photographers ...
$50 an hour? $80? $100? $200? reasonable? (let's be realistic..) :think:

if everyone go per hour rates will be gd, but some how sure got ppl charge $20/- per hr.

Rom - $350 (most 3 hrs)

AD without dinner - $1200

AD with dinner - $1500

only provide cd no print

view porfolio before deciding - $150 per hour

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
20 per hour, 3 hours for ROM, then total 60 bucks... thats real cheapskate man...

example only lar........:bsmilie:

but if everyone go per hour, it will be the best for all, as who would wanna charge below $50/-???

Cos if ppl charge this amt, the couple will also consider.

i believe for wedding should be $1k and above then can earn.

else if do cheap, then will need to shoot alot.

If charge higher, do less and better shots for the couples. why, cos i use heart and brain to shoot rather then just anyhow shoot. better pay better mood to shoot.

of cos, if wanna offer free pls do it, the more the merrier, cos u die first haha.

jopel said:
Rom - $350 (most 3 hrs)

AD without dinner - $1200

AD with dinner - $1500

only provide cd no print

view porfolio before deciding - $150 per hour
These are very encouraging rates but I wonder how the couples will react to being budgeted to pay like $3,000+ for their wedding shoots, excluding the pre-wedding/studio shoots.....:think:

Canonised said:
These are very encouraging rates but I wonder how the couples will react to being budgeted to pay like $3,000+ for their wedding shoots, excluding the pre-wedding/studio shoots.....:think:

no worries man, cos different level of couples already.

smurfman said:
no worries man, cos different level of couples already.
ya, i know ..... but if those couples who want to pay such amount or more will normally go look for someone in the business or ppl ...
but i mean some couples (not all are well to do, like maybe combined income like $3K - $4k), who also would like to have some decent photograhy done at a more affordable rates (and I am sure there are some part-time photogrphers, who are reasonable good and who do not really need the money but do not wish to spoilt the market and at the same time would like to help some young couples, etc..).... and I dont think one should deprive a "not too rich" couples not to have some good, decent photography of their wedding, etc...

Do you think asking for $500 for the ROM, wedding and dinner is bad for the industry even if you are thinking of just helping out a young couples? :think:

Canonised said:
Do you think asking for $500 for the ROM, wedding and dinner is bad for the industry even if you are thinking of just helping out a young couples? :think:

u mean wedding $500/-, rom also $500, wedding dinner also $500, whatever it is, also $500?

the most expensive i heard in singapore is $400/- per hr, and he say those hire him are also not rich ppl.

i don't believe in charging low as helping the couples.

also, by helping means killing urself. sometimes i quote wrongly also, and very regret. will ask alot of info now b4 agreed to do it. must be careful.

A major problem with starting at such low rates of 500 for an AD is raising the price in future. Sometimes you will get client B complaining that how come client A said you charged him 500 and now you're charging me 800? This usually is unavoidable if client A recommended you to client B.

Stoned said:
A major problem with starting at such low rates of 500 for an AD is raising the price in future. Sometimes you will get client B complaining that how come client A said you charged him 500 and now you're charging me 800? This usually is unavoidable if client A recommended you to client B.

agreed:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the only solution is keep improving, and forced urself to look at weddings differently.

the tips i can share that will work is sometimes, just stand further away and see. stop shooting for 5mins u will never die, but u can see alot of things clearer. trust me, it works.

smurfman said:
u mean wedding $500/-, rom also $500, wedding dinner also $500, whatever it is, also $500?

the most expensive i heard in singapore is $400/- per hr, and he say those hire him are also not rich ppl.

i don't believe in charging low as helping the couples.

also, by helping means killing urself. sometimes i quote wrongly also, and very regret. will ask alot of info now b4 agreed to do it. must be careful.
haha ... u miss my points ....
1. i mean, all these discussions above are not meant for people in the business, ie... those pro photographers who are full timers.
i am referrring to those who shoot only in their spare time or weekend shooters, etc...
2. if these weekend shooters were being approached by some "not so well-to-do" couples, maybe friends, relatives, connections, etc... do you think asking for $500 for the whole package, ie... ROM, wedding and dinner is spoiling the market vs helping out a couple .... i know some of these "not so well-to-do" couples will forgo these photography sessions if the amount is above $500, not because they are not willing to pay, but they really "can't" afford to pay since they also have some other things to take care ...
now the question i am asking is that should I not spoilt the market for others or should i really help some couples out ..... :think:
of course it is equally easy to say since these ppl can't afford, why let them have such "luxury" .... but sometimes i just feel that why not make some ppl happy ( i really don't need and don't want such income)?

Canonised said:
1. i mean, all these discussions above are not meant for people in the business, ie... those pro photographers who are full timers.
i am referrring to those who shoot only in their spare time or weekend shooters, etc...
2. if these weekend shooters were being approached by some "not so well-to-do" couples, maybe friends, relatives, connections, etc... do you think asking for $500 for the whole package, ie... ROM, wedding and dinner is spoiling the market vs helping out a couple .... i know some of these "not so well-to-do" couples will forgo these photography sessions if the amount is above $500, not because they are not willing to pay, but they really "can't" afford to pay since they also have some other things to take care ...
now the question i am asking is that should I not spoilt the market for others or should i really help some couples out ..... :think:
of course it is equally easy to say since these ppl can't afford, why let them have such "luxury" .... but sometimes i just feel that why not make some ppl happy ( i really don't need and don't want such income)?

i completely salute to u. no joke but serious.

it is gd to have a gd heart, hao xin ren, and why stop it?

the only problem u face now will how to define poor couple. how to check?:think:

stills feel that ala carte can solve alot of problems.

Canonised said:

since you are 'helping out', you can charge the price you are comfortable to work with. Don't worry about hurting the market since the pros/semi-pros have their own market that can afford them.

Canonised said:

think u missed the 1st point of points...

If no money to engage a proper photographer, then dun engage 1...

so u mean the rest should capitalise on cheapskate photography?

Hi Canonised,

I know what you mean...

Anyone can shoot a wedding, and anyone can charge whatever amount he or she likes,

so it depends on couples how much they want to spend and what are things they are looking for.

I can't stop anyone from charge super low rate for wedding, in fact nobody can, today is photographer "A" charging super low, he maybe stop doing this after a few weddings, tomorrow another photographer, "B" will be doing the samething, and it keeps go on and on.

So, back to the couples' point of view, if couple have "low" budget, no problem, please lower their expectation on photography too.

Couples with "low" budget and low expectation on photography will not have any problems for finding photographers, cos the supply is plenty, only when they have unrealistic expectation on photography, than the problems will arise.

Hope this explain a little.

yes yes yes. i just got a call. for 400, with 60 pages of coffee table, unlimited hours(hers splited into 2 days), no transport fee!! omg! am i paying to shoot?!

seriously, sg sites involving wedding photography should just set up a price education thread and sticky it!

Canonised said:
ya, i know ..... but if those couples who want to pay such amount or more will normally go look for someone in the business or ppl ...
but i mean some couples (not all are well to do, like maybe combined income like $3K - $4k), who also would like to have some decent photograhy done at a more affordable rates (and I am sure there are some part-time photogrphers, who are reasonable good and who do not really need the money but do not wish to spoilt the market and at the same time would like to help some young couples, etc..).... and I dont think one should deprive a "not too rich" couples not to have some good, decent photography of their wedding, etc...

Well, if you think this way, would resturants/venues think like you too? Before you cut your rates, ask your couples, what resturants and how many guests they have. Its a great indicator what their spending power is and trust me, its not that they do not have enough money, its because they never expect photography to cost that much. As a photographer, you have to create that precieved value for your clients.

if i drop my rates to 50%, my client base will still be roughly the same. Quite a number of 'heartland' couples have a low prespection of actual day photography. Its our job to educate our clients our actual worth and increase our precieved value.

Status
Not open for further replies.