So what is a reasonable amt to pay ....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
drumma said:
yes yes yes. i should have known better.

drumma, my take is, don't use price as the draw for couples. Your work is good enough (not to do that), you just need patience to build a name for yourself. I've seen $400 work, your work is nowhere near there. Charging so low also attracts a diff group of clients who believe very good work can be very cheap, so they can ask for more and more, and give less and less.

thanks for all the advices. if anyone could just help me speak up abit on SGB, please do. i'll appreciate it alot.

i think it's a good thread to educate them on prices.

ur replies will be of much worth than mine as a greenhorn in this area.

Pro Image said:
Why only photographers are affected? Simple. Everyone wants to be like Mike (Micheal Jordan). To jump from free throw line and dunk the basketball into the net. Anyone can hold a camera and shoot but how good they are is another thing. Actually for us, we are not afraid if the rates are lower or even free but why should that even happend in the first place?

I beg to differ dude. Not just photographers. Graphic designers and web developers too. Now anyone with a PC/Mac, Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Freehand have the cheek to call themselves graphic designer and if this were truly the state of design, I'd rather quit and be a road sweeper.

:thumbsd: :thumbsd:

drumma said:
thanks for all the advices. if anyone could just help me speak up abit on SGB, please do. i'll appreciate it alot.

i think it's a good thread to educate them on prices.

ur replies will be of much worth than mine as a greenhorn in this area.

As a vendor, it will always seem 'wrong' to educate clients on value on others (drumma) thread. Let me think though what i could do, i need to meet a client now. Take heart drumma!

Drumma, note this sentence 'My FH and i feel that we need to give greenhorn a chance so we decided to use him after having some phone conversations, email and finally meeting up with him. "

Basically, it may mean "we see you new bird so we wanna makan"

We know your standard it definitely is above the $450 mark. Don't let them tell u otherwise.

well starbucks only $7.50 a cup. may help nurse your pain....

$200 includes high res images in DVD. and my mininal booking is 5 hours per session. Dun worry, i carry 2 flashes :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

firestone said:
Yes, there are many who just wants a record of that day..
Won't care abt arty creative shots. Raise the price any higher and they'll get their friend who just bought a shiny new DSLR to shoot instead...
That's great, go ahead and get someone else to shoot for them, be my guest, I will feel very happy for them and myself.

whether one is "free" photographer or a $1500.00 /hr photographer, all also want client to appreciate their works, if the clients don't, why bother to shoot for them, you shoot it for the money, well, maybe, if they just want it cheap, why don't just ask them take a hike?

I have seen potential customer spend less then 30 sec to flip thru my album, the next question they ask is, "can it be cheaper?" I smile and say "NO".

anyway, the moment I saw the way they flip the album, I have decided not to shoot for them, even before the question pop out, it just simply wasting my time to meet them.

catchlights said:
That's great, go ahead and get someone else to shoot for them, be my guest, I will feel very happy for them and myself.

whether one is "free" photographer or a $1500.00 /hr photographer, all also want client to appreciate their works, if the clients don't, why bother to shoot for them, you shoot it for the money, well, maybe, if they just want it cheap, why don't just ask them take a hike?

I have seen potential customer spend less then 30 sec to flip thru my album, the next question they ask is, "can it be cheaper?" I smile and say "NO".

anyway, the moment I saw the way they flip the album, I have decided not to shoot for them, even before the question pop out, it just simply wasting my time to meet them.

Cool!:sweat:

Belle&Sebastain said:
As a vendor, it will always seem 'wrong' to educate clients on value on others (drumma) thread. Let me think though what i could do, i need to meet a client now. Take heart drumma!

the best to savage the situation is to explain your stand at SGB and if you really over promise and underdeliver, its best that you try to deliver what you told them. Its pointless over our side to say the stuff you deliver is already 'value for your money', how come you want more.

If starbucks promise me free cake to go along with the kopi, i will demand for it and if they fail to honour that promise, i will be disapointed as well. I will not go around coffee forums to scream that starbucks did not give me the free cake but it will leave a bitter taste in my mouth (pun intented).

If you dun clear your name, like the 'old birds' say, your name will be tarnish for a long time and for your price point, the majority of your clients may stream from there.

you have to face it (your audience in SGB). Always tell the truth, what happen and let everyone decide who is right or wrong.

By asking ppl to PM you to know the story indicates you have something to hide from the couple. It may prove negative to you.

catchlights said:

Like dat then get an album with a cover with "$2,000 per wedding" on it.

So it saves their 30 sec to flip through the album.

And the photographer's time too.

G-man said:
I beg to differ dude. Not just photographers. Graphic designers and web developers too. Now anyone with a PC/Mac, Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Freehand have the cheek to call themselves graphic designer and if this were truly the state of design, I'd rather quit and be a road sweeper.

Yes I know what you are saying.......it's just a general statement on "I want to be like Mike". If I were to elaborate further on other positions like Graphic Designers or Web Designers would take me a whole night lar bro. In fact it effects artist like us. Are you a designer yourself? Welcome to the artistic world if you are one.....haha.:bsmilie:

I do have friends who are Web Designers suffering from cut throat prices from students who is still learning web designers who virtually charge the clients $0.00 for the sake of portfolio. We are all in the same boat. Since this is a photographer's forum, so it's more obvious we as photographers will be talking about it. I am pretty sure there are Designer Forum who discuss about it as well. Hope you understand what I am saying.

catchlights said:

Haha.....7 out of 10 I met are like that......haha.......cheapo.....:bsmilie:

I do the same too. Have to save some pride and face. If not I know I will suffer later when other couples engage me. So I never give in........NEVER........:devil:

Belle&Sebastain said:
fine, but there are also ppl who want the moon with earth prices, look at my last 2 posts.

Seriously, everyone justs ones a record of events for their speical day.... but someone with only their pictures, some wants a record of family and friends, some people wants special moments.

when the bar is risen, do you think most people want an 'old' product? Like photography in the 80's and 90's?

Take handphones for example, how many are still using a nokia 8250?

When everyone look around for photography, they are already exposed to a wide range of products. Most people want designer looks for a cheap price. If you want to cater for that, not a problem (issue). Make sure you have the balls to follow though this type of clients. They have super high expectations on super low budget.

When my clients come to me, i show them my products. I say to them, this is me, this is what i do, if you like my works, its for you. If you want more than what i do, i'm not the photographer for you.

My clients are usually the understanding type. I hope so as i screen them myself with my assistant. If we find a couple who do not understand our work, we will not take their business.

The funny thing is couples that we met should be interested in our works. If not they would not even bother calling us for appointments right?

Another reason I know is well we interact with them as they still want a photographer who can be good at making the couple feel at ease. It's not about great skills but good communication who can take control of any situation......which will make most couples will feel at ease that they are in good hands.

Belle&Sebastain said:
the best to savage the situation is to explain your stand at SGB and if you really over promise and underdeliver, its best that you try to deliver what you told them. Its pointless over our side to say the stuff you deliver is already 'value for your money', how come you want more.

If starbucks promise me free cake to go along with the kopi, i will demand for it and if they fail to honour that promise, i will be disapointed as well. I will not go around coffee forums to scream that starbucks did not give me the free cake but it will leave a bitter taste in my mouth (pun intented).

If you dun clear your name, like the 'old birds' say, your name will be tarnish for a long time and for your price point, the majority of your clients may stream from there.

you have to face it (your audience in SGB). Always tell the truth, what happen and let everyone decide who is right or wrong.

By asking ppl to PM you to know the story indicates you have something to hide from the couple. It may prove negative to you.

I will take on your analogy. If I was promised a free cake and starbucks said it's a mistake, and I got angry, and then other coffee house people come in and tell me I'm the one in the wrong, it will not do starbucks one ounce of good. It will only start a war and create more damage to your name. Stop while you still can.

Sion said:
Like dat then get an album with a cover with "$2,000 per wedding" on it.

So it saves their 30 sec to flip through the album.

And the photographer's time too.

Great! how come I never thought of that? thanks!!

I think I should put this "FIXED PRICE" words in all my price list too.

Status
Not open for further replies.