So what happens when a noob's new cam's sensor's got dust in it?

aiest

Dec 14, 2011
Singapore
spiritofaspright.wordpress.com
From what I understand, it's not encouraged to try to blow away or wipe off the dust off the sensor on the camera body. From my limited knowledge the only way to get around dust in sensors is to send it to a professional camera repair/maintenance shop, is that true?

HELP PLOX! Because my camera is only 3 weeks old but I might have accidentally gotten dust in during lens changes. (I'm not sure because I always change my lenses as real quick as possible with the sensor facing down so i don't see it) And then, and then... how~~? >.<

From what I understand, it's not encouraged to try to blow away or wipe off the dust off the sensor on the camera body. From my limited knowledge the only way to get around dust in sensors is to send it to a professional camera repair/maintenance shop, is that true?

HELP PLOX! Because my camera is only 3 weeks old but I might have accidentally gotten dust in during lens changes. (I'm not sure because I always change my lenses as real quick as possible with the sensor facing down so i don't see it) And then, and then... how~~? >.<

which brand and model?

You can clean it yourself actually. One method is by blowing the sensor with a strong blower. Blowing the sensor will not cause damage to the sensor, unless you prod some interior mechanism with the tip of the blower hard enough to damage something inside. If the dust is still there after a good blowing session at the sensor, chances are that the dust is already "welded" to your sensor and you have to resort to wet cleaning methods (and it depends on whether you got the guts to do it). FYI, wet cleaning tutorials can be found in youtube and via google

Try taking photos of a blank white wall or a clear blue sky at smallest aperture. If there are grey spots appearing in your picture, that means there's dust on the sensor. Anyway, if these spots don't appear in your pictures, there's no need to fuss over them at all.

Last edited:
You can clean it yourself actually. One method is by blowing the sensor with a strong blower. Blowing the sensor will not cause damage to the sensor, unless you prod some interior mechanism with the tip of the blower hard enough to damage something inside. For wet cleaning, it depends on whether you got the guts to do it. Wet cleaning tutorials can be found in youtube and via google

Try taking photos of a blank white wall or a clear blue sky at smallest aperture. If there are grey spots appearing in your picture, that means there's dust on the sensor. Anyway, if these spots don't appear in your pictures, there's no need to fuss over them at all.

Aye! Good suggestion about the dust-detecting. Okay I'll try it in a few minutes and get back here to report.

But this "strong blower" you mention, exactly what contraption device are you referring to? Me no clues (?.?)

@noobiee I own a Sony NEX-C3, but how does knowing the camera model help with solving the dust problem?

You can try Giottos Rocket Blower to begin with. Pretty strong for a blower and I managed to blow off dust spots using it before.

Rocket-air

Hey Irvine I just checked out your profile page; just one more post and you'll hit 1000 posts on CS. Hahahahaha. Is it gonna be here? XD

Hey Irvine I just checked out your profile page; just one more post and you'll hit 1000 posts on CS. Hahahahaha. Is it gonna be here? XD

:bsmilie: Anyway, let's try not to go OT here n turn it into a kopitiam thread.

Just to add on to my post earlier, you can find that blower I recommended earlier in Cathay Photo. Costs about 13 bucks IIRC for a medium sized one.

Just to add on to my post earlier, you can find that blower I recommended earlier in Cathay Photo. Costs about 13 bucks IIRC for a medium sized one.

Is it actually that big manual air pump with the little brush on the end? Or am I thinking of a different thing altogether?

Is it actually that big manual air pump with the little brush on the end? Or am I thinking of a different thing altogether?

anything that projects air from a neutral source. manual squeeze pumps can remove most loose particles, while anything more stubborn than that would require wet cleaning.

It doesn't come with a brush o_O
I had pasted a link back there... There are actual pictures of the actual products inside the website.

Get one without the brush. :)

It doesn't come with a brush o_O
I had pasted a link back there... There are actual pictures of the actual products inside the website.

Whoops. When I read that post it was from my mobile phone and didn't see the link (scrolling is just.. ridiculous to work)

So I see! Big ones! Okay. But I really read at a few places that its not okay to blow air onto sensors because the air pressure might risk damaging the sensor. Is there little truth behind this?

Came across this blower: Eviteo Air Blower w/ Booster Power High Pressure 30kPa | Cleaning Supplies | General Accessories | Camera Accessories | Linkdelight.com
Found it, bought it and im loving it, my sensor cleaning have been a breeze.
it sort of build up the air pressure b4 letting the air out giving you a burst of wind.They also have the china version own both and both works very well.

Whoops. When I read that post it was from my mobile phone and didn't see the link (scrolling is just.. ridiculous to work)

So I see! Big ones! Okay. But I really read at a few places that its not okay to blow air onto sensors because the air pressure might risk damaging the sensor. Is there little truth behind this?

If you use an air compressor to blow air onto the sensor, you may risk damaging the filter in front of the sensor (I dunno about NEX cameras, but DSLRs do have them in front of their sensors) since the air pressure from the compressor can be pretty strong. As for manual blowers. the air pressure (depending on how hard and fast you squeeze the rubber bulb) will not be strong enough to damage the filter. Besides, the filter's pretty tough. I've blown my sensor with that rocket blower as hard as I can. Still no issues up to date.

Hmm so far I nv encounter any of my friend damage their sensor or AA filter using the normal blower lei..

I'm using a blower to blow the sensor also, but so far so good!

Last edited:
Short term damage i don think so, cos my cam is still working fine 1year since i found the Eviteo Air Blower, Eviteo produces 30Kpa of air pressure and I got a china 1 thats even stronger think its 50kPa, and my cam is still alive and clean.

Long term wise... hmmm.. cant tell.

That's maybe true if you use an industrial air blower, or those cans of compressed air.

But the use of a manual blower? It's fine. Perfectly normal. Please, it's usually even listed in your manual under "care and maintenance"... :p

Also, industrial pressured air might contain oil to lubricate the compressor behind. if you use this , you are screwed . Pressured air cans contain a liquid that create the pressure, you get this on the sensor, you only a bit screwed, you might be able to get it of. hand pumps might not seem effective, but they are save. And with sensor , you have to keep one thing in mind..be extreme extreme extreme careful.

Oh I'm very careful with my camera! It's a precious gift! ^^

And I realise I do have one of those manual air blowers, it came with the spotting scope I received for my birthday last week. Just some cheap free throw-in from the shop. It works fine, its not strong but it works well enough to remove the dust off the sensor. It also occured to me that I could use it for my telescope lenses as well. Wow, 3 gadgets benefit from one product! :D

Thanks everyone!