So, what do you think about the Olympus E-P1 (as a Pentax shooter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good camera, I'm sure a lot guys would love to have one.

Not for me though, I'd rather buy some pancake lenses w/ that kind of money ...

At this point in time, I would upgrade to K-7 with those money instead... :p
But if got extra cash, might consider that as a compact-ish alt.

Cool!

Will love one, if has adapter.

To use with the 21, 35 and 70 ltds.

Possible?

... the price if lower than its more attractive...

Agree. From a price point, it seems to be a very niche product. Looks like it'll be bought by the well-off hobbyist or a professional (who has $ to spend) for P&S use.

I think pricing around that of bridge cameras is a better niche to aim for. Just my 2cents.

Hi, I prefer GH1 for better video recording/playback on TV screen and more features, though pay around $2300/plus

Agree. From a price point, it seems to be a very niche product. Looks like it'll be bought by the well-off hobbyist or a professional (who has $ to spend) for P&S use.

I think pricing around that of bridge cameras is a better niche to aim for. Just my 2cents.

Totally agree on the customer base, maybe also a few well off non-hobbyist who buys into the looks and the 'lure' that it has a DSLR lens which will take better pictures (ahem... for them)

It would be a marvelous spare camera for any DSLR user if it dropped to $600-$700 for body only (maybe in 2 yrs) :D
Imagine being lazy to tote around all your stuff and you just choose the lens you want for the day (say a 17mm pancake and 50/1.4) into the day pack and thats it!
Come to think of it Olympus can endeavor to drive the price down real quick before the others catch up, they could well make a killing just be homing into this segment.

Totally agree on the customer base, maybe also a few well off non-hobbyist who buys into the looks and the 'lure' that it has a DSLR lens which will take better pictures (ahem... for them)

It would be a marvelous spare camera for any DSLR user if it dropped to $600-$700 for body only (maybe in 2 yrs) :D
Imagine being lazy to tote around all your stuff and you just choose the lens you want for the day (say a 17mm pancake and 50/1.4) into the day pack and thats it!
Come to think of it Olympus can endeavor to drive the price down real quick before the others catch up, they could well make a killing just be homing into this segment.

I'm tempted to get a 15/4 + 43/1.9 + 77/1.8 set to "always" tote. I'm sure it'll fit in quite a small bag.

I'm tempted to get a 15/4 + 43/1.9 + 77/1.8 set to "always" tote. I'm sure it'll fit in quite a small bag.

Mmm. My K100DS + 35mm fits in a smallish bag (Domke F-3x) which I carry to work everyday.. with plenty of room to spare. It's my daily bag too.

OK, I thought S$1.35k, but it's US$.. probably will consider seriously at S$600-700 for Pen body.

I buy a digital camera for the sensor... not had much impression with 4/3 cameras and I don't believe micro 4/3 is any better. It is pretty pricy, but hopefully it will not enjoy the fate of most compact digital cameras, namely being obsolete pretty fast.

SORRY! It's SGD 1.35k, assuming a reasonable conversion rate from the US price, when bundled with the 17/2.8 and an external viewfinder.

I buy a digital camera for the sensor... not had much impression with 4/3 cameras and I don't believe micro 4/3 is any better. It is pretty pricy, but hopefully it will not enjoy the fate of most compact digital cameras, namely being obsolete pretty fast.

4/3 and micro 4/3 use the same sensor...

Also, compacts get obsolete fast? In the sense that new models appear and the older models get EOLed?

No proper OVF?
Sorry then:(

Holding that thin camera away from the body with one hand and holding it steady while trying to zoom with the other hand, and concentrating on the LCD....will be tough to say the least. Tracking a moving object while doing the above...forget it.:sweat:

It also lacks a proper deep grip which will add to handling problems.

In bright sunshine...forget it...LCD will be next to useless.

Beautiful, compact and highly innovative design with what appears to be fine craftsmanship.....I'd like one if someone's willing to give it to me for free. But paying good money for a cam with such compromises..Sorry.

All said and done, major kudos to Oly (and pentax w/the K-7) for actually bringing something refreshing to the table..instead of the anonymous bricks the rest are churning out from the assembly line.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
looks great for street, but after toying around with rangefinders and the like,

i still prefer dslr grip.. i get wrist pain from holding yashica 35 for a long time.

Mmm. It has same sensor as Oly's mid-range DSLR model, the E-30. So in terms of IQ, will blow every tiny-sensor compact out of the water.

SORRY! It's SGD 1.35k, assuming a reasonable conversion rate from the US price, when bundled with the 17/2.8 and an external viewfinder.

Nice price actually, if one really really needs a ultra-compact DSLR-quality camera. I like the idea, even though I don't mind carrying a bigger DSLR like my K100Ds around daily.

No proper OVF?
Sorry then:(

Holding that thin camera away from the body with one hand and holding it steady while trying to zoom with the other hand, and concentrating on the LCD....will be tough to say the least. Tracking a moving object while doing the above...forget it.:sweat:

It also lacks a proper deep grip which will add to handling problems.

In bright sunshine...forget it...LCD will be next to useless.

Beautiful, compact and highly innovative design with what appears to be fine craftsmanship.....I'd like one if someone's willing to give it to me for free. But paying good money for a cam with such compromises..Sorry.

All said and done, major kudos to Oly (and pentax w/the K-7) for actually bringing something refreshing to the table..instead of the anonymous bricks the rest are churning out from the assembly line.:thumbsup:

It's a matter of fitting into a certain niche. The compromises come with the niche. (Many would view our DSLRs as having compromises - too big, too heavy, and way too big to fit into typical purse/handbag/satchel/messenger bag! :bsmilie:)

The Pen can be used as a serious photography tool, of course, but I think it's more for those who want (much) better IQ in their daily carry-around 'casual' cameras than those offered by compacts. And that idea appeals to me.

But I won't use it for, say, sports or a 'serious' shoot or the likes, of course. The compromises -- as you brought up -- in these cases do impact on my choice.

Last edited:
I guess it's a nice enough camera but it's just not a Pentax...

I guess it's a nice enough camera but it's just not a Pentax...

haha..right on! :thumbsup::bsmilie:
In anycase, I think this will appeal to those who have bought the LX3 and can't understand why they are not getting full DSLR performance. ;p

For small premium compacts, I'll stick with my Fuji F200EXR...for everything else, there's Pentax!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.