So wat can i put in my dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Apart from putting in camera and lenses, can i put in flash, batts, filters (inside a pouch), strap, bag (to keep the camera), etc

Apart from putting in camera and lenses, can i put in flash, batts, filters (inside a pouch), strap, bag (to keep the camera), etc

You can even put biscuits, cookies, crackers etc to keep them crispy... But then you should get a separate cabinet for that. ;p

i'm collecting old or antique handphones, like those motorola brick and stuff, can i put it in the dry cab together with my DSLR ?
cause if now i put the phones on my cupboard and some of the plastic bits already chipping or cracking :(

I happen to have some old dollar notes, like $20 or $25 notes from the 60s. They were not crisp like new notes of course... But after a while of putting them in. they were crispy like new dollar notes, less wrinkled too. Then those not crispy dollar notes from the bird series of the 80s i put in they became crispy like new.

i read from some thread that got ppl advise not to put batt, flash and straps into the dry cabinet.
wat u all think? I tot flash is electronics item

i read from some thread that got ppl advise not to put batt, flash and straps into the dry cabinet.
wat u all think? I tot flash is electronics item

My flash and 2nd battery is in the dry cabinet as well. Don't see any reason why I should not. It's a dry cabinet, not a fridge - so no problems for the battery :)
The strap contains moisture from sweating. I had one strap growing white and green stuffs after some time. Now I wash it from time to time and put it in the dry cabinet as well (not immediately after washing).

Hi,

You can put alot of things inside the dry cabinet that are affected by moisture from environment. However, you should not put in any leather stuff eg. leather straps as the leather will become dry and cracked after a while. Important documents and collector items can be put inside, no problem. :)

For me almost everything like camera body, lenses, flash, batteries, memory cards, filters etc. Lately also include some CDs that I want to keep for long long time. But I don't put my camera strap inside as it contains my perspiration unless one dry it first then put inside.

most ppl dunno that batteries when placed in humid environment has a much much higher chance to suffer from leakage.. batteries likewise should be placed in the dry cabi

most ppl dunno that batteries when placed in humid environment has a much much higher chance to suffer from leakage.. batteries likewise should be placed in the dry cabi

Any sources for this? Can't imagine for now how a sealed battery (especially Lithium types must be airtight) should be affected by humidity.

I am not sure about other dry cabinets but the one that I bought from Cathay comes with a manual that recommends the humidity settings for different items. Besides lenses and cameras, you can put in medicine (pills, capsules), dried herbs etc. Of course you should try to avoid mixing cameras and herbs in the same cabinet. Herbs and other stuff may require a lower humidity that what's recommended for cameras or lenses. If too dry, then the lubricants in your gear may dry up.

Nail polishes and medication if you'd like..
Hee'

You can put anything you want in the cabinet. Its main purpose is to keep things dry with minimum moisture so things do not get moldy. You can use it to keep watches too because the straps tend to get moldy. But I only use it to keep my camera accessories though.. :D

Yes, you can put anything into the dry cabinet. I have mine for over 10 years. The brand I think is gone already Dri-Cabi. I have placed almost everything MINUS the straps. Note also, do not put things that have been mouldy then cleaned up by yourself into the dry cabinet to prevent spores from migrating to the rest of the equipment. Those that were repaired professionally can be returned to the dry cabinet. Batteries. all my batteries are in the dry cabinet, no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.