So true...

Status
Not open for further replies.

siewmai59

Aug 28, 2008
A qoute from pro photograper Steven Vigar:

MSW: What advice you would give to aspiring photographers?

SV: Play play play. A lot of photographers seem to be obsessed with their equipment. Of course it’s important to have the right equipment for the job, but I don’t really care for deep conversations about Nikon versus Canon, the benefits of full-frame cameras, etc. Do you think that during Picasso and Matisse’s legendary art conversations they discussed their favorite paintbrushes? Many people are shy to get to the point and discuss mood and depth of the photos, to discuss the real issues associated with capturing the world around us.

and i agree. :)

Happy shooting.

very well said. dslrs nowadays become obsession to some. alot are itchy to upgrade equipment and buy expensive lenses without even exploring what their kitlens or current set-up can provide them.they give so much time in reading than practice. I myself can confess that I've been reading alot of thread topics and viewing other's work just to realize I haven't touched my camera for 1 week. funny but it's true to alot of people here and not just me.
But I guess maturity in this field will take sometime and everyone has undergone this in some point of their experiences.

very well said. dslrs nowadays become obsession to some. alot are itchy to upgrade equipment and buy expensive lenses without even exploring what their kitlens or current set-up can provide them.they give so much time in reading than practice. I myself can confess that I've been reading alot of thread topics and viewing other's work just to realize I haven't touched my camera for 1 week. funny but it's true to alot of people here and not just me.
But I guess maturity in this field will take sometime and everyone has undergone this in some point of their experiences.

yep. agreed. i laugh at ppl who buy L lenses when they dun need it ~~ i mean face it. ur shooting product photography. i doubt u need a 70-200 f2.8 huh.oh yes. if u need do get it. what i really meant was: u get it but u dun need it. ur just wasting money. its an old trick a old photographer taught. u buy what u need. what photography u into u get wad type of lenses. sorry for any miscommunication:X

sometimes ppl just too much money to spend. be happy. it means u get cheap lenses when they sell second hand, and it helps economy

Last edited:
Equipment is a distraction from photography. So many brands, so many functions. Pros are pros when the equipment melts away and the viewfinder becomes a canvas to paint on...

Come to think of it, when i first started out photography, i only thought of upgrading my equipments.

But after exploring my equipment, the thing that new aspiring photographers need is the extensive coverage of focal length (wide angle to telezoom) they have and not how high end their lenses can be.

Last edited:
i laugh at ppl who buy L lenses when they dun need it ~~ i mean face it. ur shooting product photography. i doubt u need a 70-200 f2.8 huh.

don't understand why u laugh,
is it because u don't understand the perspective of different focal length?

no reason why u won't need the 70-200 for product shoot.
i hv used it to shoot a series of flowers before.

don't understand why u laugh,
is it because u don't understand the perspective of different focal length?

no reason why u won't need the 70-200 for product shoot.
i hv used it to shoot a series of flowers before.

maybe he's just thinking that there are more appropriate lenses to use for this kind of photo shoot.

Come to think of it, when i first started out photography, i only thought of upgrading my equipments.

But after exploring my equipment, the thing that new aspiring photographers need is the extensive coverage of focal length (wide angle to telezoom) they have and not how high end their lenses can be.

Yah true. Newbies will go thru these cycle. Buy new cam and lens then blame cam for poor images. Buy new cam then realizes that it's the lens the limits them. It also took me sometime to realize what my goal is and what I need to accomplish this. I also realized that I did not maximized my camera when I first bought it. Why? it's only after 2-3 months that I looked thru the manual again to learn how metering and built-in flash works.

Whether one owns the best & the coolest tool in town, if he does not have the right knowledge of what photography is all about is of no good use. Whether you have the best brush or best canvas & if you know nuts about painting, its useless.
But if one that have a good understanding of what photography is all about, will know how to take advantage of whatever equipment one have on hand. Of course, you need the right tools for the right job, but if don't, you still can get the job done, to some extend. Having the latest & best equipments makes the shoot easier because the latest technologies are employed & are incorporated in the equipments. And if you have deep pockets, then you can buy whatever you like.
What I'm saying is, having the best knowledge in photography is most important & equipments come in second ;)

What I'm saying is, having the best knowledge in photography is most important & equipments come in second ;)

True. As someone new to this field, priority is to educate themselves. You can't justify any upgrade or any new purchase if your knowledge is little and so limited. I read a lot of topics asking whether to upgrade, which one to buy first, do i need this or is it a must, etc. If you understand well photography and you know what you are into, you can justify any decisions or purchase you make.

True. As someone new to this field, priority is to educate themselves. You can't justify any upgrade or any new purchase if your knowledge is little and so limited. I read a lot of topics asking whether to upgrade, which one to buy first, do i need this or is it a must, etc. If you understand well photography and you know what you are into, you can justify any decisions or purchase you make.
You got it! :)

yep. agreed. i laugh at ppl who buy L lenses when they dun need it ~~ i mean face it. ur shooting product photography. i doubt u need a 70-200 f2.8 huh.

sometimes ppl just too much money to spend. be happy. it means u get cheap lenses when they sell second hand, and it helps economy

70-200 f2.8 a very versatile lens, apart from using it for tele purposes, it can also be use for shooting product such as food, car and human portrait. I have a friend who already own a 1dm2 but he went ahead and buy another 1dm3 just to shot a project, after the project he decide to sell 1dm3 away because he is not satisfied with its performance. On top of that he did not make any loss of money. So it is not necessary that people have too much money to burn.

maybe he's just thinking that there are more appropriate lenses to use for this kind of photo shoot.

yep. thats whad i meant. people buy stuff that they dun use. if u need to use by all means get it. if u dun *shrugs* u just spending wasted money.

worst part is kids who sticks their hands out for money. worst.

70-200 f2.8 a very versatile lens, apart from using it for tele purposes, it can also be use for shooting product such as food, car and human portrait. I have a friend who already own a 1dm2 but he went ahead and buy another 1dm3 just to shot a project, after the project he decide to sell 1dm3 away because he is not satisfied with its performance. On top of that he did not make any loss of money. So it is not necessary that people have too much money to burn.

okkies. i shall rephrase to avoid er. miscommunication. thankyou:D

Well...when i just start taking photography as hobby..i dont do much research...and whenever shots i take..it just dont satisfy me and wondering..."Oh is it my camera or lens not good enough..erm i must buy better lens..." at that time that is my thought and luckily i did not really spent alot...before realise that knowlegde is more important...after i have spend times doing research and do some read up on books and also try to find out where my shots gone wrong..then i realise knowlegde come first before anything...

Who cares whether someone else buys an L lens or not, or whether the person "needs" it.

who's to say if someone is 'wasting' or not 'wasting' a lens or gear? It is just a hobby - whatever rocks one's boat is most important.

Sure, it should be first and foremost about the photography, but there are gearheads in any hobby, particularly if there is alot of equipment involved.

how many ferrari drivers do you think can take the car to the limits? are they wasting the car?

there are many other "sins" that one can point fingers at in photography - see for example http://kenrockwell.com/tech/death-of-photography.htm

Guess there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to buying equipment and lens etc. Like what nuanda said, for most of us its just a hobby so whatever rocks one's boat is most important. :)

But once again thanks to TS for bringing this up. :thumbsup: A very good reminder to all of us, including myself! :D
Photographer takes great pictures, the equipments don't ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.