So there's a dead bug inside my lens

chernk

Sep 24, 2009
yesterday i lent my Nikon 10-24mm to my friend, and when i got it back, she said there was something on the inside of front element that was turning up in her photos as a black dot. i know it's natural for dust to accumulate inside zoom lenses, but upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass, i realized that it wasn't a speck of dust at all, but a dead insect of some kind. it's small enough to be mistaken for a speck of dust, but it's big enough to show up on photos taken at f5.6 and up. my lens has been in the dry box until i took it out to lend it to her, and i'm sure this didn't happen the last time i used it.

so my question is, is there anything i can do about this? any shops that offer lens cleaning services? but before i go to a shop to give them my money, is there anything i can do by myself?

also, i would post a picture but i don't have a macro lens.

yesterday i lent my Nikon 10-24mm to my friend, and when i got it back, she said there was something on the inside of front element that was turning up in her photos as a black dot. i know it's natural for dust to accumulate inside zoom lenses, but upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass, i realized that it wasn't a speck of dust at all, but a dead insect of some kind. it's small enough to be mistaken for a speck of dust, but it's big enough to show up on photos taken at f5.6 and up. my lens has been in the dry box until i took it out to lend it to her, and i'm sure this didn't happen the last time i used it.

so my question is, is there anything i can do about this? any shops that offer lens cleaning services? but before i go to a shop to give them my money, is there anything i can do by myself?

also, i would post a picture but i don't have a macro lens.

not sure.... but did u try removing the wadeva protective filter and see if the bug is in there? not sure if ur lens takes in filters though...

Well... there are a few companies that offer cleaning services - NSC (not sure if they will charge any money if the lens still have warranty), p&g camera (www.pgcameras.com - Adelphi (68370696)), camera hospital (Sunshine plaza - 92373212 (Steven)).