So there's a dead bug inside my lens

chernk

Sep 24, 2009
yesterday i lent my Nikon 10-24mm to my friend, and when i got it back, she said there was something on the inside of front element that was turning up in her photos as a black dot. i know it's natural for dust to accumulate inside zoom lenses, but upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass, i realized that it wasn't a speck of dust at all, but a dead insect of some kind. it's small enough to be mistaken for a speck of dust, but it's big enough to show up on photos taken at f5.6 and up. my lens has been in the dry box until i took it out to lend it to her, and i'm sure this didn't happen the last time i used it.

so my question is, is there anything i can do about this? any shops that offer lens cleaning services? but before i go to a shop to give them my money, is there anything i can do by myself?

also, i would post a picture but i don't have a macro lens.

Sep 17, 2008
yesterday i lent my Nikon 10-24mm to my friend, and when i got it back, she said there was something on the inside of front element that was turning up in her photos as a black dot. i know it's natural for dust to accumulate inside zoom lenses, but upon closer inspection with a magnifying glass, i realized that it wasn't a speck of dust at all, but a dead insect of some kind. it's small enough to be mistaken for a speck of dust, but it's big enough to show up on photos taken at f5.6 and up. my lens has been in the dry box until i took it out to lend it to her, and i'm sure this didn't happen the last time i used it.

so my question is, is there anything i can do about this? any shops that offer lens cleaning services? but before i go to a shop to give them my money, is there anything i can do by myself?

also, i would post a picture but i don't have a macro lens.
not sure.... but did u try removing the wadeva protective filter and see if the bug is in there? not sure if ur lens takes in filters though...

rhino123

Staff member
Sep 1, 2006
NA
Well... there are a few companies that offer cleaning services - NSC (not sure if they will charge any money if the lens still have warranty), p&g camera (www.pgcameras.com - Adelphi (68370696)), camera hospital (Sunshine plaza - 92373212 (Steven)).

Top Bottom