so many cameras!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstar

Jan 9, 2004
hi,

i need to get an slr cam for skool. the skool has only 13 cams to spare for the entire cohort, they're using nikon f80. which costs around sg$800+!? but they are providing the lenses, we still have to get the cam bodies.

right now im thinking of the nikon f55 & also canon eos66... which is better?? both around $500. i dont need super pro functions, the basic ones should suffice.

for $500, you can get a mid range used cam. EOS 66 and F55 are consider starter set, but you will soon find that there are alot of limitations and THEN HAVE TO UPGRADE. I have been through that path (took only 3 month and I upgrade may cam).

There are alot of good mid range used cam in the market because alot of the photog. are switching to DSLR or DC.

jstar said:
hi,

i need to get an slr cam for skool. the skool has only 13 cams to spare for the entire cohort, they're using nikon f80. which costs around sg$800+!? but they are providing the lenses, we still have to get the cam bodies.

right now im thinking of the nikon f55 & also canon eos66... which is better?? both around $500. i dont need super pro functions, the basic ones should suffice.
Since you said that a basic one should suffice, then whichever cameras you choose should not be a problem. Both Nikon and Canon are market leaders when it comes to Japanese camera manufacturer. Unless you are going for the pro range cameras any low end SLR will serve your purpose well, at least for now.

Andy Ho
My CS Gallery

Jstar, where did you get those prices from? A basic Nikon F80 is only abt $630 new. A 2nd hand one can easily be found for $400. A 2nd hand F55 or F65 can be found for only $200+.

Do a search on the Buy/Sell forums and you will see.

If your school only has Nikon bodies, can i assume they only provide Nikon lenses? In which case, getting a Canon body is out of the question, isn't it?

Get a Nikon FM body lor,there is one for sale at clubsnap for $250.fully mechanical camera,so u dun have to worry about batteries except for the light meter.

jstar said:
hi,

Start off with a 2nd hand FM2 then? That way, you tend to learn more as you would need to fiddle with the dials/buttons/exposure... etc etc...

Unless, you wan AF function... then you would be limited to AF bodies. Sames as the others' view, if you wan to get AF body, then F80 would be fairly good choice, cos you might be limited to the basic functions of the F55. Then, very soon, you might look to upgrade... additional costs...

just my $0.02....

since the 2 systems dont significantly differ much at this level of equipment, u may need 2 take into account which system's handling ergonomics appeal to your own hands and also to thsoe hands which take over u the next time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.