So anyway the past few weeks I've been out shooting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffle

Sep 10, 2003
... for a school assignment and I can't help but notice all the queer stares coming my way, or more specifically so, at my camera - a Nikon F80D, a film SLR (which is required for this particular module I take).

What is it? Is it because it's a film SLR? Why the smirks? Why the sniggers? Why do you (whoever you are) have to walk a whole stretch of the road just to walk past me and sneak a peek at my camera just to see what it is and then mutter to your group of friends that it's "film leh, walao"?

WHAT?

well... let them snigger for all they want... i still miss film if not for the high costs...i will prob continue to shoot film...

F80 is a very good camera.... i been using it for like 5 years and D70 is essentially F80 body with modifications anyway.

Waffle said:
... for a school assignment and I can't help but notice all the queer stares coming my way, or more specifically so, at my camera - a Nikon F80D, a film SLR (which is required for this particular module I take).

What is it? Is it because it's a film SLR? Why the smirks? Why the sniggers? Why do you (whoever you are) have to walk a whole stretch of the road just to walk past me and sneak a peek at my camera just to see what it is and then mutter to your group of friends that it's "film leh, walao"?

WHAT?

those who stare are dweebs. :rolleyes:

i'm not going to start a DSLR vs film debate here. OKIE??

Waffle - dun need to be self-conscious abt using film. those who 'look down' on you dat day dun know wat is photography - whichever the means of capturing. at the end of the day, as long as u get the images u want, who the heck cares how u get it. :) just go out and have fun shooting! u dun need a gee-whiz DSLR to capture good pics.

hahaha, actually i know, i just wanted to let off steam cos that guy who walked the distance just to see what camera i was using really pissed me off big time. all i could think of then was, "does the camera REALLY matter that much to you? wait, why are you walking away now? just cos i'm shooting film, i'm not good enough for you and your D70 huh?"

and another case where i was walking along the bridge from CBD area to Arts House, there was this bridal photographer shooting his model with his Hasselblad (i didn't walk over to see, it was pretty obvious, haha), and i just walked past him and he and his assistant just stared at my equipment and gave that you-know-what look.

:bsmilie: actually, damn stupid la hor. :bsmilie:

Waffle said:
hahaha, actually i know, i just wanted to let off steam cos that guy who walked the distance just to see what camera i was using really pissed me off big time. all i could think of then was, "does the camera REALLY matter that much to you? wait, why are you walking away now? just cos i'm shooting film, i'm not good enough for you and your D70 huh?"

and another case where i was walking along the bridge from CBD area to Arts House, there was this bridal photographer shooting his model with his Hasselblad (i didn't walk over to see, it was pretty obvious, haha), and i just walked past him and he and his assistant just stared at my equipment and gave that you-know-what look.

:bsmilie: actually, damn stupid la hor. :bsmilie:
Chill man. No one really cares what you shoot with. Maybe, the guy that walk a whole stretch of road and made the comment "film leh", just step back and think, cold it be a compliment? I always say "wow, it's film" when I see someone shooting film. Much more difficult. Comments not meant to look down on anyone. Just a comment and admiration.

Regarding the bridal shoot, are you sure they did not just look at you and give an acklodgement that another photographer just passed by?

I think you are just too conscious of the fact that you are shooting film, and not shooting digital made you feel inferior. Deal with it, no one really cares what you shoot with.

Waffle said:

heck... i wished my bridal studio photog shot my wife and i in a hassy... :embrass:

DP is rite lah. mebbe its an acknowledgment to u. ;)

wah. ouch. but thank you, Deadpoet, maybe you're right. :)

it's about time i stopped feeling so inferior about everything. haha.

Deadpoet said:
Chill man. No one really cares what you shoot with. Maybe, the guy that walk a whole stretch of road and made the comment "film leh", just step back and think, cold it be a compliment? I always say "wow, it's film" when I see someone shooting film. Much more difficult. Comments not meant to look down on anyone. Just a comment and admiration.

Regarding the bridal shoot, are you sure they did not just look at you and give an acklodgement that another photographer just passed by?

I think you are just too conscious of the fact that you are shooting film, and not shooting digital made you feel inferior. Deal with it, no one really cares what you shoot with.
hehe... even if you say "wow, film leh" waffle may still feel you are being sacarstic.... :)

Well, I go for the model shoots organised here and invariably the organiser goes, "you're using film ah?" when I pull out my M3, in tones that imply I'm looking for some special treatment from them just because I'm not using the latest DSLR. Worse, when I shoot people will say give him chance, he's still using film... You can draw your own conclusions.

Not to start a FvD debate, but if they only knew what quality film provides....

Wai Leong
===
Waffle said:

WHAT?

NO ONE REALLY CARES WHAT CAMERA YOU USE! expect yourself.;)

they can give all the stares you want but you must be comfortable with the tools you use!

have pride in your work, not with your tools!

Only in photography i have so many people hang up about the tools they use, i have never hear in my trade (fashion) what sewing machines they use produce the best garment what sicssors to cut the cloth, etc . Only the cutting, sometimes fabrics (some of us can make nice things with cheap fabrics) and design matters! Ditto with cameras,m only your creative eye matters at the end.

There is nothing wrong with the F80 right? i seen many talented CS users to this camera and produce very nice images 3 years ago when Digital is still not in the rage. i use film compacts and a cheap film SLR once a while too when i need my super wides.

ok, enjoy your craft!:thumbsup:

nemesis32 said:
hehe... even if you say "wow, film leh" waffle may still feel you are being sacarstic.... :)
well, I think Waffle realise that whether others are sarcastic or not, he just have to deal with it and keep on doing what he likes ... shoot some more

nemesis32 said:
No reason feeling inferior, there is only one judgement point, the print. If it's good,
all naysayers will have to shut up. It's the final product that counts!

Status
Not open for further replies.