Snow skiing and photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizzard

Mar 7, 2009
Bkt Timah
Just wanted to find out whether anyone has gone on a skiing trip with their gear?

I will be going for my ski trip next month and will be bringing my DSLR for the 1st time (prev time was P&S and camcorder). Will be bringing only 2 lenses, likely to be a 35mm prime and the 24-105mm zoom. The 35mm for night time and indoor use and the zoom for the ski runs during the day.

Any advice on usage of DSLR in the snow from those who have tried? Since the 5DMII and L lenses are weather-sealed. it should be able to withstand the rigours of snow, right? :dunno:

bring ND filters..
btw, not all of L lenses are weather proofing..

How long is the trip? If it's a multi-day trip with camping, you might find this setup a bit on the heavy side. Apart from weight, it seems like a versatile combination though.
Regarding the 5d mkII and cold weather, this might be of interest: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31851

Thanks for the reference. After reading this, I was a little worried. However, it does appear that salt water corrosion may be a possible explanation of what they have encountered.

I will be at a ski resort in the French Alps. Hence, although it will be cold and snowy, the environment is a little different (no salt water there, I hope).

Hmm, looks like I better pay close attention to preventing condensation and ensure that I use 2 ziplock bags whenever I take the camera in-and-out after a day of skiing.

came baq from swiss.. erm snow reflects alot of light, a cpl and gnd would be helpful :)

bring ND filters..
btw, not all of L lenses are weather proofing..

came baq from swiss.. erm snow reflects alot of light, a cpl and gnd would be helpful :)

I am thinking of getting the latest Hoya HD cpl filter for some snow scene. If it last a lifetime, it is well worth it la.:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.