Snatch thieves - beware in M'sia

Always travel in small groups (esp tourists). Be alert to your surroundings. Those who are carrying bigger cams or more prominent lenses may be a tempting target to these snatchers.

just to ask...if the photographer were to say bash/hammer/hantam the thief(s) till coma, is consider as self defence in m`sia court of law?

Actually this can happen any where, any country, any time.
Although I know deep inside that it is not foolproof, but I have my gears strapped down w R-straps, and Holsters.
Being heavy and tight, it may discourage 'snatching'.
But of course, they can still easily cut off the straps and grab the cameras.

Now u know why tripods were invented. Especially carbon fibre ones.

Heng i didn't bring a kid wit a dslr would be most appealing to robbers:sweat:

Yikes, wasn't meant as a post for fear mongering
Just as a reminder to watch your belongings and what they do just to get your stuff
I bring my equipment home too, try to be as vigilant as possible
I realise I can/have become more complacent with things being a whole lot safer here

Although I know deep inside that it is not foolproof, but I have my gears strapped down w R-straps, and Holsters.

It's not gonna help. Typically they're riding bikes ("mat rempits") and will drag you along until the item comes off you. A good number have died/got injured for not letting go.

As a KL-boy who almost got mugged years ago in broad daylight my only advice is to OPEN YOUR EYES WIDE and avoid known trouble areas (I even avoid Golden Triangle area now: too many la-la zais looking for a fight). You're not in crime-free Singapore anymore.

just to ask...if the photographer were to say bash/hammer/hantam the thief(s) till coma, is consider as self defence in m`sia court of law?

About a year back, a lady in KL got her bag snatched by a biker. She chased him down in her car and knocked him down. He died. She got arrested.

In any country, there's a limit to what amounts to "self-defense". You punch an assailant to protect yourself = OK. You beat him up until coma = Not OK.

Many robbers in Malaysia armed with parang :(
My Malaysian co-worker was robbed last year and he get 5 stitches from a cut from parang when he refuse to let go of his bag :(
Luckily he let go at the last minute to save his arm :(

About a year back, a lady in KL got her bag snatched by a biker. She chased him down in her car and knocked him down. He died. She got arrested.

In any country, there's a limit to what amounts to "self-defense". You punch an assailant to protect yourself = OK. You beat him up until coma = Not OK.

I REALLY hate these F@*#%N thieves... in my own honest opinion, they deserve it! i would gladly beat a thief to death with my bare hands if i catch one... and i think that the police should thank me for doing so!

It's a shame on them that they have to arrest a civilian who just got robbed because he killed the robber, what if the civilian get killed in the process and the robber got away?:angry:

these thieves deserve what they get when they are caught by the civilians they robbed, and the police have to be thankful to these civilians for helping them clear the streets of these parasites!

Many robbers in Malaysia armed with parang :(
My Malaysian co-worker was robbed last year and he get 5 stitches from a cut from parang when he refuse to let go of his bag :(
Luckily he let go at the last minute to save his arm :(

parang... is ok, but the thief better make sure he stabs it on me! if not, he will find it deep in his own chest! i'd love to do that!

gun? am not a super man... he can take whatever he wants!:)

parang... is ok, but the thief better make sure he stabs it on me! if not, he will find it deep in his own chest! i'd love to do that!

Hahah. U r another fierce ka! Lol. Anyone happen to rob u sure very suay! Haha.

Do you really think you can take on a Parang? You know how long it is? Don't make jokes about this, I have a good friend who was slashed a few times on her shoulder and her knee, she almost bled to death.......

HS

this one right? i remembered reading about it. http://www.mmail.com.my/content/18143-fatal-end-snatch-thief?quicktabs_2=1

from my search query, no arrest was made so it looked like it was an open and shut case. the woman was arrested you say...so any info on what was the final verdict given since more then half a year since the incident so the ruling should be out by now?

Last edited:
Do you really think you can take on a Parang? You know how long it is? Don't make jokes about this, I have a good friend who was slashed a few times on her shoulder and her knee, she almost bled to death.......

HS

Don't play play with parang.

ParangLadingMangAko04.jpg

Last edited:

unless you are being subjected to bodily harm. otherwise it is very difficult to justify such violent action .