Snapshots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
blive said:
This are the official definition from Wikipedia. Think of snapshot as a subset of photograph. I don't much care for the definition. Just go out and shoot more.;p

Photograph

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Photograph (disambiguation).

A photograph (often shortened to photo) is an image (or a representation of that on e.g. paper) created by collecting an array of photons onto special photo-sensitive paper. The most common photographs are those created of reflected visible wavelengths, producing permanent records of what the human eye can see.
Most photographs are made with a camera, which focuses the light onto either photographic film or a CCD or CMOS image sensor. Photographs can also be made by placing objects on photosensitive paper and exposing it to light (the result is often called a photogram) or by placing objects on the platen of a flatbed scanner (see scanner art).

whereas

Snapshot

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a general sense, a snapshot is a brief glimpse of something. It also has several specific technical meanings:

Thanks Bro! :) So shooting is the same as firing in the range wif M16;p

catchlights said:
so this is snapshot now? since she is not even 10years old.....

DSC_3067.jpg

I dun think this is a snapshot but nither it looked posed?
Sorry really dun knnow pls enlighten!
thanks!:sweat:

Most of my models dont co-operate and i shoot according to the situation. Are those condiered snapshots too? Cause if i follow Ortega's definition my modle would have either ran away or changed pose :D

Is this a snapshot?

P1013504.JPG

Or this?

Vendors.jpg

I am afraid that I cannot agree with some of the opinions given here.

But I think the definition given in wikipedia is very apt.

A snapshot is a picture taken quickly in a midst of opportunity. It has nothing to do with the background, or the quality of the image.

I often read of a derisive attitude towards "snapshots". Remember the "Afghan girl" is a snapshot. So is the Vietcong execution or the Naplam girl.

To say that a snapshot is taken without any thought is in my opinion, saying things with little thought.

The quality of a snapshot, like any other images, whethered considered and planned etc depends on many factors. And this includes the quality of the photographer.

anything that is not nice/badly composed/badly exposed/OOF is considered snapshot.

add a girl (not even babe) in a bikini/lingerie/flimsy dress/or nothing at all and its considered pro with thumb (and something else) sticking up

antacid said:
anything that is not nice/badly composed/badly exposed/OOF is considered snapshot.

add a girl (not even babe) in a bikini/lingerie/flimsy dress/or nothing at all and its considered pro with thumb (and something else) sticking up
yeah :thumbsup: This is what i am trying to say earlier but i poor in english so phrase wrongly.

student said:
I am afraid that I cannot agree with some of the opinions given here.

But I think the definition given in wikipedia is very apt.

A snapshot is a picture taken quickly in a midst of opportunity. It has nothing to do with the background, or the quality of the image.

I often read of a derisive attitude towards "snapshots". Remember the "Afghan girl" is a snapshot. So is the Vietcong execution or the Naplam girl.

To say that a snapshot is taken without any thought is in my opinion, saying things with little thought.

The quality of a snapshot, like any other images, whethered considered and planned etc depends on many factors. And this includes the quality of the photographer.

Thanks! Now got a clearer picture!

:think: Snapshot can be planned? Sound like ambushing then surprise 'attacked'?
Is it like shooting animals while waiting for it to face you or waiting for it to 'pose' the pose u want then u shoot them before they change 'pose'?:confused:

catchlights said:

DSC_3067.jpg

nah... but you'll see a snapshot if you pass your camera to her and had her shoot at you....

YOUR PM INBOX is full

Interested in ur albums.
sms me to meet:

catchlights said:

DSC_3067.jpg

Wikipedia's definition of snapshot sound like photojournalism.

catchlights said:
is this consider a snapshots? :dunno:

13771DSC_7090.jpg

This is considered ah long chase after couple, couple running off. :bsmilie:

Honestly, this can technically be considered a snapshot but then it is also a planned image, so.... abit grey area no? I would term it as a picture, not a snapshot.

Is this a snap shot, or a crack shot ? :bsmilie:

Click it to enlarge.

:)

Perhaps there's no clear boundary between a snapshot and something else that might be called an 'artistic photo'. A snapshot sounds like something that was taken in a hurry with little thought to it.

But that said, photographers doing street and photojournalism especially may often react instinctively to a scene rather than thinking too much about technicalities. Otherwise once the thought process is over, the shot is basically gone.

Hence, are they really creating snapshots? To the majority of us their work is far from that, but it is filled with interest and it captures the correct moment in time.

Then there are those people who take photos and by chance wind up with something really nice. Then their snapshot becomes a work to be admired.

Don't get to hung up on the definition but keep shooting. Personally though, when I judge my own photos, the ones that I trash or keep at the bottom of the drawer are 'snapshots'. Those that I keep closer to my heart are not. Unfortunately I've got too much of the former and almost none of the latter. :bsmilie:

That's photography...it's a journey.

Pablo said:
Is this a snap shot, or a crack shot ? :bsmilie:

Click it to enlarge.

:)

That's HCB in sports photography. The decisive moment, a capture of a CRACK in time. :bsmilie:

fWord said:
Perhaps there's no clear boundary between a snapshot and something else that might be called an 'artistic photo'. A snapshot sounds like something that was taken in a hurry with little thought to it.

But that said, photographers doing street and photojournalism especially may often react instinctively to a scene rather than thinking too much about technicalities. Otherwise once the thought process is over, the shot is basically gone.

Hence, are they really creating snapshots? To the majority of us their work is far from that, but it is filled with interest and it captures the correct moment in time.

Then there are those people who take photos and by chance wind up with something really nice. Then their snapshot becomes a work to be admired.

Don't get to hung up on the definition but keep shooting. Personally though, when I judge my own photos, the ones that I trash or keep at the bottom of the drawer are 'snapshots'. Those that I keep closer to my heart are not. Unfortunately I've got too much of the former and almost none of the latter. :bsmilie:

That's photography...it's a journey.

Thanks! Now then i know there are so much variation of snapshots or rather types of pict shots!:bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.