Snaps of my Cats

rey1989

Dec 30, 2009
I'm new to photography. Abusing my Canon 500D with 18-55mm for the first day. ADVICE PLEASE!
#1 - 1/13, f/5.6
IMG_9526.jpg

#2 - 1/8, f/5.6
IMG_9527.jpg

#3 - 1/13, f/5.6
IMG_9528.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to CS :)
You have a nice cat there. This is a good start.
1 important thing is, try not to use direct flash on them. Also try not to take random shots, plan your shots.
The 2nd photo is slightly under.
Well, remember to read your camera's manual, keep shooting & continue to post your cat shots here. If you have questions on how to take better cat pictures, just ask. I'm sure many CS'sers here are willing to share.
Oh, one more thing, leave space between your photos please number your photos ;)

Welcome to CS :)
You have a nice cat there. This is a good start.
1 important thing is, try not to use direct flash on them. Also try not to take random shots, plan your shots.
The 2nd photo is slightly under.
Well, remember to read your camera's manual, keep shooting & continue to post your cat shots here. If you have questions on how to take better cat pictures, just ask. I'm sure many CS'sers here are willing to share.
Oh, one more thing, leave space between your photos please number your photos ;)

what do you mean by under? under expose is it?

got 3 actually, 2 male, 1 female, but 1 male have to be moved to my sister's place. you should know why. don't need to explain. MY CATS JUST CAN'T STAND STILL FOR ME TO TAKE THEIR PICTURE! any tips?

You can try catching them during their naps or about to nap or getting up from the nap. Just need a little patience & always try to be ready for the next shot. Play a while with them & they'll just do their own things. Since you shoot with the 18-55mm lens, its easy to shoot with one hand while with the other hand, you can distract them ;)

thank you very much. =). will be uploading more soon!

#5 - 1/8, f/5.6
IMG_0001.jpg

#6 - 1/40, f/3.5
IMG_0023.jpg

#7 - 1/8, f/5.0
IMG_0028.jpg

Last edited:
introducing milky.
#8 - 1/100, f/3.5
IMG_0721.jpg

#9 - 1/100, f/3.5
IMG_0722.jpg

#10 - 1/80, f/3.5
IMG_0725.jpg

#11 - 1/8, f/3.5
IMG_0728.jpg

#12 - 1/80, f/4.0
IMG_0738.jpg

Last edited:
and here is tiger
#13 - 1/80, f/4.0
IMG_0743.jpg

#14 - 1/125, f/4.0
IMG_0745.jpg

#15 - 1/50, f/5.6
IMG_0746.jpg

#16 - 1/40, f/5.6
IMG_0747.jpg

i think my image resolution is too big. anyway i can reduce to enhance the viewers experience in the forum?

Last edited:
i think my image resolution is too big. anyway i can reduce to enhance the viewers experience in the forum?
Don't worry about the resolution.
Most of the shots on this set is not well focused & #7 is under.
Concentrate on your composition, focusing & exposure. You have a cat at home, you can take all the time you can to get some good shots, unlike us we have to chase & stalk cats on the streets.
Take your time to shoot & don't shoot just for the sake of shooting ;)

Don't worry about the resolution.
Most of the shots on this set is not well focused & #7 is under.
Concentrate on your composition, focusing & exposure. You have a cat at home, you can take all the time you can to get some good shots, unlike us we have to chase & stalk cats on the streets.
Take your time to shoot & don't shoot just for the sake of shooting ;)
ok. means i should just let auto-focus do its job? or use live-view?

ok. means i should just let auto-focus do its job? or use live-view?
Auto-focus or manual focus is up to you. Whichever one you use, make sure your shots are in focus. Same for live-view. My personal preference is view finder ;)

woo! sorry for about the MIA. =). Been busy with work. Here are what I took not long ago!
#17 - 1/60, f/5.0 (sorry, but i just have to share this cute picture taken by my girlfriend.)
IMG_0323.jpg

#18 - 1/20, f/3.5
IMG_0094.jpg

#19 - 1/15, f/3.5
IMG_0087.jpg

#20 - 1/15, f/4.5
IMG_0085.jpg

#21 - 1/15, f/3.5
IMG_0084.jpg

Last edited:
Madmartian has given lots of good advice :) TO add on each time you shoot you need to ask youself what you like about the picture and what you dont like as well. If you find there are too many things you dont like about it go back and try again. Your composition is slowly getting better and I know its hard to isoate the subject using a kit lens, still watch out for cropped body parts like ears tails and legs unless you want to bring attention to other parts of the cat.

Once you've shot eenough and understood how iso aperature and shutter speed affect exposure and how aperature and focal length affect the DOF, you should look into gettting a cheap fast prime like a 50/1.8 for the fast aperature and shalow dof for subject isoaltion.

Once you've shot eenough and understood how iso aperature and shutter speed affect exposure and how aperature and focal length affect the DOF, you should look into gettting a cheap fast prime like a 50/1.8 for the fast aperature and shalow dof for subject isoaltion.

Please enlighten me about this part. I'm lost. HAHAHA!

Shallow DOF is when only a narrow portion of the scene is in focus this would throw the b/g into a nice pleasing blur thus brinign more attention to the subject. For example I shot http://yfrog.com/jqk2gmj with a 85/1.8 which gives a very shallow DOF at f/2 :) You can go google on how DOF works in relation to all the different factors...