Snapping Photo In Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

siti14

Sep 4, 2007
Should we adjust e aperture n shutter speed until e exposure level at e centre.

I mean in manual mode,must e exposure be at e centre or just ignore it when taking photo.

A lot of other factors to consider as well especially as to which metering mode you are using. However if you are using the matrix metering where the average of the entire frame is calculated then its safe to say that your exposure is "correct" when the indicator is at the centre.

I mean in manual mode,must e exposure be at e centre or just ignore it when taking photo.

in manual mode u decide for the exposure..the camera meters the scene and gives an indication by means of the markers..if u shoot wif the marker at the centre..it only means correct exposure for the scene as what the camera thinks..this return value oso varies with different metering modes(center weight/spot/evaluative)..the good thing abt manual mode is, although the scene is metered, but u still have the flexibility to try different values..its like exposure compensation..

If it's in the centre, it means the meter tells you that is the metered reading. It might not be the reading which you want to take a photo depending on where you are metering (which scene) and also in which metering mode.

In night scenes, I tend to under-expose the scene by about 1 stop when I spot meter a subject I wish to shoot, this normally gives me a good image. But again, this varies. So try it out and understand your camera.

Now then understood tks 4 those who have reply.

Keep in mind that all camera meter interpret a scene/object as 18% gray. To illustrate, if you are taking pictures of a snowfield and shoot according to your camera meter reading, you will get gray snow instead of white. You will need to compensate for the difference in exposure.

the centre marking is what the camera thinks, if ure using flash cant base on the meter alr.

Today I went snapping pics at Raffles city they had this Barbie show going on.

Set my ISO speed high so that I need not fire my flash.
Fix my aperture and play with the the shutter speed to about 1/200 constant becos the performer moves around often.
Check picture taken vs the exposure meter found out that pictures taken at center may not be what end effect u want.

However the stage lights keep changing and I had to tune the shutter speed to suit the lighting e.g. bright to use faster shutter speed
Any easier way to do this?

urm. aperture piority will do actually. ;)

Nah, shutter speed priority since he wants to go for freezing motion.

Full manual best :p

Full manual best :p

I agree. Meter an area you want to be in middle tone (say the stage flooring) and shoot in manual.

I used to shoot soccer matches in manual. I use the green field as my middle tone.

Nah, shutter speed priority since he wants to go for freezing motion.

nah. he still needs to adjust the shutter speed in the end.
might as well use manual? :sweat:

if you don't understand what is tonal (18% gray, mid tone, highlight, shadow...blar blar blar) and how exposure metering (spot, average, center weighted, matrix) work and what area to take meter reading from, whatever exposure mode (A, S, P, M mode) you use is kind of blind shots.

Yeap, if not you will always get inconsistent exposure and lagi more jialat.

I agree. Meter an area you want to be in middle tone (say the stage flooring) and shoot in manual.

I used to shoot soccer matches in manual. I use the green field as my middle tone.

When shooting in manual, you must know what you are doing and what is going on. That is in my opinion.

Yes, otherwise your images will turned out worse due to exposure inconsistency. For digital, it is not too bad, but for someone like me who shoot film occasionally, inconsistency means trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.