Snap, Post, Leech, WOOHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

togu

Jul 11, 2002
@ D08
www.tommygui.com
Noticed the recent frustration of many new CS'ers about their pictures being leeched all over. Various methods are suggested to counter this issue. I used the term "new CS'ers" cos this is really a very old topic, being discussed again and again.

To be very frank, the moment you decided to let your pictures leave your HDD, you gotta be prepared that it'll end up somewhere else, no matter what precautions you take. This is just like going out with a 3 inch thick armour doesn't means that you are 100% safe of being rob or something.

The question is, why try so hard to post pics that might be leeched? To share? To showoff? To discuss about the technical aspects? To get it leeched so as to make a big hooha? IMHO, most of these shots taken during PC-shows, motor shows or watever shows, due to the poor lighting condidtions, space and many other constraints, they are nowhere near a nice portrait, more like snapshots indeed. So technically there's nothing to discuss about. If it's for "sharing", what's the difference between being shown here or at sggirls? How about go post direct at sggirls instead, at least your credibility will still be there. :devil:

Thanks to the forever evolving technology world, if you don't wanna see your pictures being leeched all over, post something else, there are 1001 subjects out there for shooting.

Else, why bother?

Just my 0.002 cents. :)

Note : I intentionally posted this in "General, Reviews/Previews, Technical Discussions". Will prefer to hear some POVs about the attitude of selecting your shooting subjects, discussion on why the persistency in posting those will-be-leeched photos etc. Not expecting banal talks tho. :p

Originally posted by togu
Noticed the recent frustration of many new CS'ers about their pictures being leeched all over. Various methods are suggested to counter this issue. I used the term "new CS'ers" cos this is really a very old topic, being discussed again and again.

To be very frank, the moment you decided to let your pictures leave your HDD, you gotta be prepared that it'll end up somewhere else, no matter what precautions you take. This is just like going out with a 3 inch thick armour doesn't means that you are 100% safe of being rob or something.

The question is, why try so hard to post pics that might be leeched? To share? To showoff? To discuss about the technical aspects? To get it leeched so as to make a big hooha? IMHO, most of these shots taken during PC-shows, motor shows or watever shows, due to the poor lighting condidtions, space and many other constraints, they are nowhere near a nice portrait, more like snapshots indeed. So technically there's nothing to discuss about. If it's for "sharing", what's the difference between being shown here or at sggirls? How about go post direct at sggirls instead, at least your credibility will still be there. :devil:

Thanks to the forever evolving technology world, if you don't wanna see your pictures being leeched all over, post something else, there are 1001 subjects out there for shooting.

Else, why bother?

[/SIZE]

A bit unfair to those whose interest lies in shooting portraiture or family and frens dun u think. Juz imagine your best fren or cousin agree to model for u and when u post up for comments and tips in the portrait forum, it suddenly ends up in unsavoury places with the title of 'my galfren' or worse still, 'I xxx her last night', things like that. Watermarking over with a translucent logo might help deter the lamer leeches and posters although the more PS savvy jerks might still find a way.

Originally posted by xdivider
A bit unfair to those whose interest lies in shooting portraiture or family and frens dun u think. Juz imagine your best fren or cousin agree to model for u and when u post up for comments and tips in the portrait forum, it suddenly ends up in unsavoury places with the title of 'my galfren' or worse still, 'I xxx her last night', things like that. Watermarking over with a translucent logo might help deter the lamer leeches and posters although the more PS savvy jerks might still find a way.

If you really want comments, you can print them out and bring to the next SEED. There are alternatives, that's what I'm trying to say. :devil:

Originally posted by xdivider

ya..and togu is saying that on the pretext that most of these kinds of 'portrait' shots are taken in those exhibitions and roadshows.. which IMO are not very appropriate locations for portrait shots rite?

then i better faster post my those racequeen pageant event shots :D :cool: ;)

Originally posted by Linkster
ya..and togu is saying that on the pretext that most of these kinds of 'portrait' shots are taken in those exhibitions and roadshows.. which IMO are not very appropriate locations for portrait shots rite?

That's sweeping all the postings into 1 basket right? I think i've seen a posting of someone's wife done quite artistically. Besides, for cheapskate lamers like me, i take road shows as a cheap place to practice portrait shooting techniques as much i want :devil:. Anyway, my 2 cts is if u ever wanna post, ask the model for permission first and alert her to the 'dangers' of putting up her picture on the internet and to do the necessary measure to deter leeches. I hate letting lamers and jerks like those leeches dictate my actions anywhere. i rather sue them first. :cool: ;)

My sentiments alike togu, I couldn't agree more.

My take is that there is always a risk of misuse for your pictures the moment you post them. It is at the discretion of the poster to put it on the internet and hence, the responsibility lies solely on himself/herself to keep it out of reach for leechers. There is really no use talking about it over and over again, lets move on. :)

Hit the nail on the head.

[Flame Suit On]

If it's pictures of girls at motorshows and PC shows, the question is whether these pictures should be posted up in the first place, given that there is no explicit permission from the models to do so. Yeah, copyright belongs to the photographer, but copyright is not the same as having permission to put up photos of a model without a proper model release. But then as a street photographer I am even more guilty of this :embrass:. My defence is that my pictures are social commentaries, whereas the girlie pictures are just for ogling. :D

So why do people put these up? For eyeballs, I guess. Sure way to get people to look at pictures you put up is to make them pictures of pretty girls. It won't really matter how artistic or technically perfect they are, now will it?

As Togu suggested, you might get more credibility and respect if you post directly in sggirls.

The irony and hypocrisy is that the people doing these very things on CS complain about their pictures being put up on sggirls. Apart from the violation of copyright, the motives behind posting these pictures remain very much the same - "hey, you like-a these pictures of pretty girls I took?... YEAH BABY!"

The even greater hypocrites (sorry, I can't find a gentler word) are the people who constantly monitor sggirls for leeched pictures, in the name of public service. If you find it so objectionable, why are you visiting that site in the first place? Reminds me of all those volunteers in Malaysia who take part in raids on nightspots. Sorry, I'm a firm believer in the doctrine of total depravity in mankind.

If it's pictures of your wife or girlfriend which you want to share, my suggestion is to put up a password-protected gallery and share it selectively only with people you REALLY trust, not on an open forum like CS. Even better, print them out and share them with friends in your living room. Unless you have a photocopying machine in your room, you can be sure there won't be duplicates floating around where you don't want them. I remember there was a Steve-something who posted a picture of his girlfriend's nude profile. While it was very artistic and I appreciated it, I'm sure there are now a few million copies of it circulating round the internet, and NOT for artistic reasons. Could also be the reason we don't see him posting anymore.

[Flame Suit Off]

Originally posted by Linkster

So true, there's no way you can talk about a good portrait shooting with people walking around, the model eyes poping around, not knowing which camera to look at. In fact, that's not what exhibitions are for. I can't imagine how I'll feel if I set up an exhibiton, after several months of preparations, and noticed the patrons are only interested in my receptionist, instead of my work. :p

However, it's only natural for guys to shoot at pretty girls. I do that myself sometimes. :embrass: But, think of what you are going to do with the photos before you shoot. As mentioned above,

To share? To showoff? To discuss about the technical aspects? To get it leeched so as to make a big hooha? IMHO, most of these shots taken during PC-shows, motor shows or watever shows, due to the poor lighting condidtions, space and many other constraints, they are nowhere near a nice portrait, more like snapshots indeed. So technically there's nothing to discuss about. If it's for "sharing", what's the difference between being shown here or at sggirls? How about go post direct at sggirls instead, at least your credibility will still be there.

I do agree with xdivider's point that sometimes it's a proper family shot asking for comments, but end up being leeched (tho it's a different area that we are talking here :p ) Well, sfhuang gave a very good suggestion on that. :devil: Else you'll have to be a victim of the technology world.

There is really no use talking about it over and over again, lets move on

This is the best suggestion so far! :gbounce:

Originally posted by StreetShooter
The irony and hypocrisy is that the people doing these very things on CS complain about their pictures being put up on sggirls. Apart from the violation of copyright, the motives behind posting these pictures remain very much the same - "hey, you like-a these pictures of pretty girls I took?... YEAH BABY!"

The even greater hypocrites (sorry, I can't find a gentler word) are the people who constantly monitor sggirls for leeched pictures, in the name of public service. If you find it so objectionable, why are you visiting that site in the first place? Reminds me of all those volunteers in Malaysia who take part in raids on nightspots. Sorry, I'm a firm believer in the doctrine of total depravity in mankind.

This is even better... :gbounce:

Togu & Streetshooter

Good for you! Give it to them straight! :thumbsup:

My sentiments exactly.

Originally posted by togu

Else, why bother?

Note : I intentionally posted this in "General, Reviews/Previews, Technical Discussions". Will prefer to hear some POVs about the attitude of selecting your shooting subjects, discussion on why the persistency in posting those will-be-leeched photos etc. Not expecting banal talks tho. :p

i agree! :thumbsup: so everybody stop whining!

Originally posted by clive
then i better faster post my those racequeen pageant event shots :D :cool: ;)

faster faster! mai tu liao!:D

wah liow... thnx to Togu...

now I know why my Avant Ultra Neo New-Age Retro shots never get the view rates... everyone prefer to click on those "Chio Bu" pictures...

leeching is universal, you just need someone with a little less respect and VIOLA! Its pirated.

When its software piracy the individual is not affected and he lives with it. But when the artist's (ie the individual) work is violated, he feels the pinch.

Even though nothing can justify leeching, the artist shd also bare some responsibility. You flash your riches everywhere, you are setting yourself up to be a target. Sggirls has always been an issue and wanting the leopard to change its spots is quite wishful thinking, at least to me. Remember such forums are visited by people with similar mentality and the likelihood for their members to change is highly unlikely in the near future.

In the meantime, just rent a studio or better still go outdoor (armed with a CS MO 5-in-1 reflector) and shoot some nice model shots. Take the opportunity to practice seriously whereby you get full control of the pose and lighting. If you need help, you could always contact Togu and Wolfgang.

Peace... (back to my Avant Ultra Neo New-Age Retro composition)

As I am the person who started the post of the Girls of PC Show as well as the Leeched Photos....I feel that I must say something about this thread ...

Some of the points that this thread contains make sense to me and I think I have learn how other people feel about it. But I think that the way is was done really is a great disappointment.:(

For e.g If you have any thing that you feel that is wrong or something that might have irritated you or you dun feel good about something...it is best you either refer directly to the person and tell him how you feel....

by starting this separate thread and using indirect reference is not a way I would like things to proceed...i feel its like a 'swan' thread rather than a discussion ....we are here all to learn and explore photography...We are all CSsters whether old or new , we have something to learn from each other's experience......this is the way that I think all of us learn....:) also...I am sure 'Old CSsters' also started as 'New CSsters....:)

I dun want to start anything unpleasant here...but all i wan to do here is to learn as much as I can...

Dunno.... after reading thus far, there isn't much stuff to be learned in this thread. Maybe just a little :rbounce: Guess its all in how you interpret pictures.:dunno:

I for one learned that placing copyright statements that can be deleted away is not a good way to deter leeches.

Buzz's post in kopitiam resulted in moderators at CS talking to those at sggirls and the eventual removal of those leeched pictures. What's more, a process was put in place to counter future leeching. Something good came about it.:thumbsup:

True, it will not deter all leeches and who knows what sick demented minds do with all the pictures posted at CS or even your home page.

Its all about intellectual property rights and how important it is to you. Either do something about it or cower in silence. Guess most S'poreans would prefer to suffer and let leeching take place which is what has happened so far. After checking out sggirls I noticed a lot of private website photos were also leeched.

I see this whole issue as a step forward for CS. Its good to see quite a few people stepping up to do something about it. At least right now there is an avenue when unknowing posters get their pictures leeched.... So... I hope we do not take two steps back. ;)

Originally posted by StreetShooter

This is the 3rd time that i discover leeched pic already, but i didn't monitor those sites lar...i surf hardwarezone then saw a familiar pic that have sggirl logo at the corner, that's how i find out lor

or are u refering to someone else? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.