Snakehead fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2003
Visit site
Firstly, I apologize... I know it's nothing to do with photography, but just hoping someone can lead to an answer :D

Anyone knows where I can get snakehead fish (those some kind of freshwater fish) in Singapore?

snakehead fish means Ikan Haruan or Toman? I remember seeing a fish tank of snakeheads at Sheng Siong (next to Commonwealth MRT)

You can also find certain species in the local fish aquariums. Normally the toman fries may be found being sold as food for larger fishes. Those would be longish with black and white stripes. The adults are more beautiful.

The snakeheads or haruan species are normally sold as food for human consumption and are rarely kept as aquarium pets as they are more drab and brownish in colour.

Then last of all, there are a few more rarer species of forest snakeheads, etc which are kept mainly by some of the aquarium enthusiasts.

Khai Seng fish farm at neo tiew confirm have them.
It is usually quite crowded during weekend.

my friend bought 1 small one from an aquarium shop opposite TP.
paid only $1 :bsmilie:
but really really small.
smaller than my little finger :sweat:

TS.... you didn't said why you want the fish ?? :think:

For Pet - Sorry, not too sure which shop sells small size ones (they can grow to well over 1 metre)

For Food - Try ChinaTown Market.....

"Anyone knows where I can get snakehead fish (those some kind of freshwater fish) in Singapore? "

do you mean buying OR catching it ?

Buy advise mostly already given above

Catch (fishing) get...... fresh water resevoirs like Kranji can catch...... using artificial lures ... go to http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/ ..... you have to register if you want to see pics of the catches

"Anyone knows where I can get snakehead fish (those some kind of freshwater fish) in Singapore? "

do you mean buying OR catching it ?

Buy advise mostly already given above

Catch (fishing) get...... fresh water resevoirs like Kranji can catch...... using artificial lures ... go to http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/ ..... you have to register if you want to see pics of the catches

Upper pierce reservoir got tons of Toman to catch. Used to go there regularly in the past before fishing is allowed in reservoirs, kena fined twice by park rangers.

Half meter snakeheads are quite common. We practice catch and release cause one time brought a toman back to cook, nearly vomit. The mud taste is too overwhelming :sweat:

haha, which kind you want man? Toman or Haruan? Ill help you to catch one! =D, tho you dont mind lugging a Five and a half kilo over Toman at the backseat of your car yepp? =PP

Price: Nikon D700 =D

Haha kiddin kidding, but hey i do quite a lot of fishing myself too, all CnR tho. Largest one ive seen a bud of mine hook up a was momma at over Five and a half kilos at kranji. What a beauty, purple backed with slender black~ Best bet if you wanna catch one to keep as a pet, you can try targeting the schools which travel around peirce. Prolly around close to late evening at around 5.30 onwards a school will usually be travelling up from the pump station towards the mouth opening at the golf club. Got a double hook up there once, and the bite is really good. Usually a cast and catch as their feeding at around that time. Good luck~ Hope that helps!

Haha kiddin kidding, but hey i do quite a lot of fishing myself too, all CnR tho.

Er.. Mind me saying something off topic?
I was formerly a Buddhist teachings follower.

Fishing used to be a hobby of mine in the past until my shi fu told me by catching and releasing it, it's being cruel to the fish.
(I also catch and release at first but finally gave up that hobby after being "told off".)

Imagine being pierced by a metal rod and leave it without healing?
It seems like you're letting the fish suffer in pain.

I'm not telling you off or what, but just letting you know what the fish you released is in for. ;)

Sorry if my words are hush.. :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.