Smugmug website..

Status
Not open for further replies.

doppleganger

Nov 3, 2007
Hi, any other fellow photogs out there who are using this website for portfolio as well? hmm...

I am;p Introduced to me by a friend, i just wanted something simple and it fit my requirements. If you have problems, they usually respond to ur email very quickly. If u need to customise a little, dgrin.com is the place to go:)

Im using smugmug too. chk my sig.
Excellent cust svc :thumbsup:
they seem to reply within the hour most of the time!

I am;p Introduced to me by a friend, i just wanted something simple and it fit my requirements. If you have problems, they usually respond to ur email very quickly. If u need to customise a little, dgrin.com is the place to go:)

just checked out your smugmug website. Very impressive. :thumbsup:

Did you paid for the basis services or u go for the professional package? :)

Im using smugmug too. chk my sig.
Excellent cust svc :thumbsup:
they seem to reply within the hour most of the time!

heys, checked our your site. Have added you as a friend as well. :)

There's something i find it funny though. The top 100 keywords can't be seen if I am just a browser looking through the website? Any idea why? :dunno:

just checked out your smugmug website. Very impressive. :thumbsup:

Did you paid for the basis services or u go for the professional package? :)

Neither;) Went for the in-between which is the power user. Pretty sufficient for my current usage. Its still not completed though...

heys, checked our your site. Have added you as a friend as well. :)

There's something i find it funny though. The top 100 keywords can't be seen if I am just a browser looking through the website? Any idea why? :dunno:

Erm paiseh dun quite get what u mean.

Awesome site and pictures! :thumbsup: Very professional looking.

Smugmug's a really nice album.

The custom functions can take some getting used to, especially if you like to configure a lot of your settings. Also, it's not perfect - it's quite susceptible to server/inet connection issues, but this is not because Smugmug is bad, but because of system conflicts e.g. with Norton.

One quirk about Smugmug, their upload function is weird with the way it handles file numbering. If you load up 15 files numbered from 1 - 15, it won't show up in sequence and that's because the system recognises 10 as a 1 (1+0=1). This gets complicated if you have hundreds of pictures to load up, say for a client's wedding album as you have to renumber all your files 001, 002 > 010 > 100, 101 etc. You can't use the file numbers directly out of cam and have them in sequence automatically.

Other than that, it's a great site! And the support guys are fantastic - they will go out of their way to assis you if you have any problems.

One quirk about Smugmug, their upload function is weird with the way it handles file numbering. If you load up 15 files numbered from 1 - 15, it won't show up in sequence and that's because the system recognises 10 as a 1 (1+0=1). This gets complicated if you have hundreds of pictures to load up, say for a client's wedding album as you have to renumber all your files 001, 002 > 010 > 100, 101 etc. You can't use the file numbers directly out of cam and have them in sequence automatically.

Thanks Youhong:)

Hey DM, now that you mention this, I too am affected by it. Thankfully file numbering not too impt for me... for now... i shld drop them an email:D

They know about it. In fact, they told me about it. Those guys are not only fast and supportive, but honest as well!

All you have to do is rename your file numbers when you save a smaller version for uploading (they can take large files as well, but I've found that smaller works much faster).

Just be sure to prefix your file numbers with a '0', aka, 001 or 01 and it works fine. If you're uploading only say 20 files, you could easily rearrange the positioning of the files to appear in the correct order.

I'm thinking of signing up for smugmug, would any of you guys be willing to "refer me" so that I can get the discount and you the referral credit?

Thanks in advance!

Sure Tentencents, be glad to help.

Here's my coupon number in case you or anyone's interested in getting a discount when signing up for Smugmug. Just copy and paste in where they ask for a referral.

3MS2TD25R4H3A

CHEERS!

I would also recommend pbase.

I have been using smugmug for almost a year now after my original webmaster went MIA! I opt for the Pro account and I think the price is still very reasonable if you compare to getting someone to design and host it for you. I'm not very demanding in terms of design & layout, I'm more interested in the flexibility it allows, such as to upload/delete pics anytime I want and not forgetting the incredible back up service from them. So overall, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for smugmug from me :D

Here's my smugmug link: http://www.jinolee.com.sg

Sure Tentencents, be glad to help.

Here's my coupon number in case you or anyone's interested in getting a discount when signing up for Smugmug. Just copy and paste in where they ask for a referral.

3MS2TD25R4H3A

CHEERS!

Thanks Merchant! I’m still on my trial period, so will probably max out the trail before signing up.

Pardon my ignorance... What's the difference between a paid site such as smugmug and other free photo hosting ones like Flickr, pbase, etc?

Are there any advantages that you look for subscribing to a paid one?

tnx

It would vary, but generally the paid hosting sites allow you to upload a lot more information and offer a lot more flexibility and customability.

For example, i can easily upload over 20 pages of high-res 6"x4" 300ppi photos in my Smugmug album for client's viewing and downloading at one go, whereas i can't upload even a single 6"x4" hi-res photo on my free flickr album because the file size is too big.

So far, I have over 70 albums in my Smugmug site - all high-res photos - and I still have tons of space available.

Access and uploading is usually a lot faster, and you have a whole range of customability - I can easily make my Smugmug pages look like a dedicated website and write all the comments, introductions for each album or sub-album etc. I can also change the look and colours of each album to suit each album's subject theme, look and feel.

Another advantage is when you want to link photos - with my Smugmug site, I can link hi-res and large photos if I want or need to, whereas free hosting sites may not allow direct linking at all, or if they do, it's usually for very limited file sizes.

Smugmug's a really nice album.

The custom functions can take some getting used to, especially if you like to configure a lot of your settings. Also, it's not perfect - it's quite susceptible to server/inet connection issues, but this is not because Smugmug is bad, but because of system conflicts e.g. with Norton.

Other than that, it's a great site! And the support guys are fantastic - they will go out of their way to assis you if you have any problems.

I am smugmug user too.

If you are using file numbers out of camera, probably would be according to time, so in the gallery customise page, you can sequence it according to "date taken" so the photos can fall into the time sequence. Would that solve the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.