SMU anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm..
I applied for SMU this year, but I have yet to receive my interview date....

Whereas my friend (with the same A level scores, with less better GP & SAT scores) received the interview.... we are sorta on par in terms of CCA performance.

How ah? :(
I got ABC, B3,B3..........

You think got any chance to enter SMU?

Anyway, heard from my friend that the interview questions were very arty-farty.
They gave my friend a cup, and asked her to talk about it... :what:
If I got those interview questions, I would have freezed on the spot.

Could you give some unbiased, fair ;p judgement about SMU vs NUS & NTU's biz/econs facs?

What some say is that SMU's teaching style is different from NUS/NTU. But I personally feel that very much depends on yourself. I've been through both NUS and NTU, and have had the good fortune to experience a (very very) short stint of American style teaching in Chile. They are all very good. And depending on the individual, one may benefit you more than the other.

.... Or have I confused you utterly? :devil: ;p :confused:

SMU offers a much more broader base education compared to NUS/NTU. I have many friends in NUS/NTU all studying biz. What we are exposed to in all the 3 unis are all different. I believe thats what they want to brand themselves as. "Different"

There is no better or worst in comparision. I have couple of loser project grp mates over in SMU who really cause my head to expose during the school term. SMU is extremely project based compared to NUS/NTU. You gets loads of project ever since year 1.
I apperciate this as it will better prepare me to work in grp when i grad.

But i muz say regardless of which uni you go... it gotta suit your style... not you adjust yrself to suit the skool. The choice is still yours but thats if you are the top 800 of the 5800 people who applied SMU this year :bsmilie:

As for SNAG who did not get any interview... you can apply for NUS biz skool or NTU one first... then you will have more choice.
When the time comes you will be invited for interview because you are on what we call the SMU holding list. Otherwords Backup list. Priority will go to those who have excellent SAT and A levels...
The skool give almost equal weightage in both SAT and A levels.

If your frez did better in SAT that means ur frez got more chance then you. But then Interview is quite impt nowdays you really have to perform well during the interview... just be yourself and don't ever be nervous.;)

Originally posted by zen
Interview is quite impt nowdays you really have to perform well during the interview... just be yourself and don't ever be nervous.;)

Well said. It is important.

As for the different teaching approaches, NUS/NTU tend toward what I'd call an "instructionistic" style, ie, lecturer talk, you listen and (supposedly) do research on your own. The SMU model is more of "constructionistic", ie, you build your own learning. This is done via projects and group-base learning. Its something you will find increasingly in the JCs nowadays too. However, both NUS Biz Sch and NTU Nanyang Biz Sch have been moving toward a hybrid approach.

Zen has again hit the nail on head w.r.t. "suiting your style". You should be looking for an approach that matches your learning style best.

Apologies in advance if I appear to generalise, SNAG, but from your peers (ie your cohort), I'd say that most of you are the kinestetic kind of learner. For either NUS/NTU or SMU approaches to benefit you, you may want to nurture a more visual learning system. :)

Oops... neglect to point out that when I refer to your learning system, I'm basing it on a general NLP-DSS model, ie, your dominant seonsry system. Aslo known as "how you learn".

No offence to any SMUers but in my humble opinion, the article in Streats applauding the massive competition for places in SMU should be taken with a very large does of salt.

Comparisons to Harvard in terms of competition for places is ludicrous. In Harvard, they probably have eight straight A students vying for that one coveted slot. In SMU, well, lets just say that they eight students of various calibre vying for that same slot. There is simply no basis for comparison at all.

It is indeed amusing to see the local media wax lyrical over all the hype. Anyone beg to differ?

Well, the media has every right to kick up a fast one over it. :p

But then again, they probably drew attention to the fact that SMU is NOT HBS, or MIT, or Princeton, or Yale. Notwithstanding, you have to give SMU the credit of having good branding. Spin doctors, they can make SARS sound like the next best thing after Mother Teresa! :bsmilie:
(No offence intended... )

I'm from NTU's NBS, and have some friends in SMU too. I think people shouldn't really believe what they read in the newspapers, that SMU produces different students. It's just their way of marketing themselves. Honestly speaking, i dun see any difference cos we've mostly spent donkey years studying under the same system.

I find that my frens in SMU tend to believe that people in other business schools are still operating under the spoon feeding system but it's totally not true. Almost all of the modules will need us to do projects and stuff, and the final exams will take up anything from 50 to 70% typically.

We're mainly left on our own or groups to do our research or clear up any doubts during tutorials or seminars. Tutors will operate as facilitators, encouraging the class to discuss issues and learn from each other for modules that are suitable. For example, in law, management accounting or organisational behavior, the tutor seldom speak. For tutorials, a group will present the answers each week. The tutors will only correct mistakes or encourage feedback if the class is too "friendly".

All in all, it's up to yourself to shape your own university education. If you got the right attitude, you'll have a fulfilling time time anytime. There's always good students and bad students everywhere so try not to make any generalizations if you see some bad students from another uni. :D

I tend to disagree with what Mr Fish had spoken about SMU. Everything compared here is relatively different. When we are talking about project and other stuff it is the same case.
Over in SMU, Projects are 30-50% of the course module whereas our school regulation does have a rule for exams cannot be more than 50% of the total score. Class participation usually are around 10-20% of total score.

I can't comment much on that sensitive issue of which is better or which is different. But i must say NTU had given me a very "dead" feeling when i was there for 3 days for a bazzar at Canteen B
I seriously encourage you to come over to SMU and experience the learning environment. It is definately very very different.

I agree 4 years definately cannot compared to the "donkey years" spent in education but it can definately change your approach towards learning because studying and muggin alone does not ensure A coming your way. I hate to say at times but you have to suck up your prof to get A or A+ (Real life? Real World?)
:confused: :D

Frankly speaking, all these comparison is rubbish. We are all products of the same monotonous education system.

To encourage creative and independent learning at the tertiary level is valiant and commendable, but sadly far too late to have any serious effect.

Its up to an individual to make his/her tertiary life worthwhile, regardless of where you are from.

Hi zen, i think u may have gotten the wrong idea. At the uni level, mugging like sec/jc times will never get anyone an A, no matter which uni.

That's why i think it's the same everywhere - there are muggers, people who suck up to tutors, people who keep dominating the tutorial classes with stupid questions and conversations, people who ask profound questions and give constructive and not back stabbing comments etc. Everywhere is the same!

I do get pretty pissed when my SMU frens keep telling me that SMU is a better school and all that creative thinking stuff. Frankly, i dun see the difference between their ways of thinking or level of knowledge when compared to mine.

zero_7 : Precisely! :D

Originally posted by zen
I can't comment much on that sensitive issue of which is better or which is different. But i must say NTU had given me a very "dead" feeling when i was there for 3 days for a bazzar at Canteen B
I seriously encourage you to come over to SMU and experience the learning environment. It is definately very very different.

I agree 4 years definately cannot compared to the "donkey years" spent in education but it can definately change your approach towards learning because studying and muggin alone does not ensure A coming your way. I hate to say at times but you have to suck up your prof to get A or A+ (Real life? Real World?)
:confused: :D

Originally posted by zen
But i must say NTU had given me a very "dead" feeling when i was there for 3 days for a bazzar at Canteen B.

What bazzar? when? it depends, u know!

:what: Did not expect to stir up so much controversy.. Anyway I'm got accepted by SMU.. taking ISM.

SNAG: Depends on your course, my interview was a rather technical one, and of cos some creativity questions. ;)

Heh heh..not much controversy lah. We all come in peace right? :D

I think it's important not to expect too much especially when the unis claim that they are world class or blah blah lah. I dunno about smu but sometimes, nus and ntu's admin can be pretty screwed up. Crap... :thumbsd:

Originally posted by Mr Fish
sometimes, nus and ntu's admin can be pretty screwed up. Crap... :thumbsd:
Definitely! But then screwed up administrations are the by-product of out-dated civil servants (or ex-Civil Servants). Just have to bear with them. And learn from it. Bureacracy offers a greater amount of control. But it will become "Screwed-Up" to outsiders of the bureacracy. Then again, those of us who've been thru NS should know this very well. :devil:

Please, the rest, no point arguing which has a better system. SMU's approach only works well if the student is a matured and independent learner. And even then, it depends on the tutors who are supposed to facilitate the class. Likewise, NTU/NUS approach are world-class! It depends on the students who may (or may not) be world-class.
<< On that score, consider, honestly, what is your measure of "world-class"... >>

I've seen products of all systems, having experienced them in various measures in life. And I'd say that we shouldn't allow ourselves to be misled by advertisements. That said, SMU's ads do seek to "brand" themselves as a class apart.

Originally posted by Azure
Definitely! But then screwed up administrations are the by-product of out-dated civil servants (or ex-Civil Servants). Just have to bear with them. And learn from it. Bureacracy offers a greater amount of control. But it will become "Screwed-Up" to outsiders of the bureacracy. Then again, those of us who've been thru NS should know this very well. :devil:

Please, the rest, no point arguing which has a better system. SMU's approach only works well if the student is a matured and independent learner. And even then, it depends on the tutors who are supposed to facilitate the class. Likewise, NTU/NUS approach are world-class! It depends on the students who may (or may not) be world-class.
<< On that score, consider, honestly, what is your measure of "world-class"... >>

I've seen products of all systems, having experienced them in various measures in life. And I'd say that we shouldn't allow ourselves to be misled by advertisements. That said, SMU's ads do seek to "brand" themselves as a class apart.

Well, you are sooo right about the NS part. :devil:

Hmm...
Many responses generated though!
Seems that each U has its own forte as well....
Anyway, I've applied for all 3 Us as well, let's hope and see what I get as well. But the application to SMU is getting slimmer day by day.

PS: Heard that NUS biz ad needs like, 3 As to get in? :what:
Not sure about it....

Many students forget that the main purpose of going to a business school is to network, to build up connections that will be important later on in life. Nowadays where the best of every cohort goes overseas, either on government or parent scholarships, what kind of connections can you make in NUS/NTU/SMU?

Forget about studying business locally. Better to work for a few years, earn some money, gain some real life experience, and then apply to INSEAD or Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.