SMRT reports Q4 net loss of S$11.9m

What do you think?

In addition they have to do 1 year trial of free travel before certain time.

The cost has to be passed to some one else. That means you.

A monopoly reporting profit & loss is meaningless. It is in a position to charge you more if it says it is losing money.

You do not have a choice. There is no competitor to measure it against.

For example, a monopoly can (theoretically) pay its CEO US$100 million per year with golden handshake clause of US$500 Million; and then declare that it is "losing" money and thus have to charge consumers more.

What do you think?

A monopoly reporting profit & loss is meaningless. It is in a position to charge you more if it says it is losing money.

You do not have a choice. There is no competitor to measure it against.

For example, a monopoly can (theoretically) pay its CEO US$100 million per year with golden handshake clause of US$500 Million; and then declare that it is "losing" money and thus have to charge consumers more.

SMRT is a private firm... not a public, government-owned one.

let us know if you're paying a higher income-tax rate this year.

Do you read the news?

The trial is funded by government. I get the sense that you're talking about public transport consumers here (especially since you proceed on a spiel about "charging you more"), when it should be taxpayers.

If A already has to help B with $1.1 Billion.
Then A says it absorbs trial cost of something else.
After that, A has less to "help" B with in future. Which means in future B has to raise the money in other ways. Just a round-about-calc.

If A already has to help B with $1.1 Billion.
Then A says it absorbs trial cost of something else.
After that, A has less to "help" B with in future. Which means in future B has to raise the money in other ways. Just a round-about-calc.

That's indeed very round-about.

FYI, the trial cost is estimated to cost $10 million. Maybe you might take that into consideration and actually compare this to the $1.1 billion.

you know... i thought i found it familiar that people were complaining that the government should absorb SMRT back and and use the tax payer monies for something useful....

yea....

LTA regulates SMRT and SBSTransit and taxi companies ..... SMRT does not have the authority to adjust fares as they like

For goodness sake, when folks make an effort to be forthright and transparent to the public , stop jumping into all these conspiracy theories

"A monopoly reporting profit & loss is meaningless"

monopoly or not, its a publicly listed company, it answers to its shareholders so it needs to report its financials

S53.SI: Summary for SMRT- Yahoo! Singapore Finance

very cheap imho .... why not buy and OWN this monopoly ? Then u can go to their AGM, enjoy a good buffet and you have every right to rail at them as a shareholder to keep fares low or reduce them ?

Last edited:
LTA regulates SMRT and SBSTransit and taxi companies ..... SMRT does not have the authority to adjust fares as they like

For goodness sake, when folks make an effort to be forthright and transparent to the public , stop jumping into all these conspiracy theories

"A monopoly reporting profit & loss is meaningless"

monopoly or not, its a publicly listed company, it answers to its shareholders so it needs to report its financials

S53.SI: Summary for SMRT- Yahoo! Singapore Finance

very cheap imho .... why not buy and OWN this monopoly ? Then u can go to their AGM, enjoy a good buffet and you have every right to rail at them as a shareholder to keep fares low or reduce them ?

i think if you are shareholder of SMRT, you will want them to raise fares and make more profits so you will get more capital gains + possibility of higher dividends payout.

bearish break of key $1.50 support today on high volume. price is still in long term downtrend. i think there is still further downside to price and i will wait for reversal signals before entering.

just my 2 cents view on SMRT

Reminds me of recent safra membership benefits.. gives everyone a one year free membership.. capture this as x million expenses so that this amount gets write off..
Somemore some people don't use it.. ..

Yes indeed. My ex-colleague bought 100 lots at $1 years ago. He is collecting dividend year after year on top of that paper gain on price appreciation.

It is a duopoly company.

As for fare hike or not, there are procedures in place. However, many perceived them as a wayang show put up by the government.

i think if you are shareholder of SMRT, you will want them to raise fares and make more profits so you will get more capital gains + possibility of higher dividends payout.

bearish break of key $1.50 support today on high volume. price is still in long term downtrend. i think there is still further downside to price and i will wait for reversal signals before entering.

just my 2 cents view on SMRT

Personally, i'm thinking about that too. Waiting to see if the price will drop further before entering.

On a separate note, I observed that SMRT is too focused on the local market. Unlike its counterpart ComfortDelGro which is venturing overseas from UK to China.

Que sera, sera. Whatever will be will be. The future's not ours, to see. Que sera, sera.

Last edited:
creative accounting at its best.
Heng i buy Sbs instead.

Must get Saw Phaik Hwa back so that our SMRT will make money again. :)
You mean,
So Pai Kwa (very ugly)?

Personally, i'm thinking about that too. Waiting to see if the price will drop further before entering.

On a separate note, I observed that SMRT is too focused on the local market. Unlike its counterpart ComfortDelGro which is venturing overseas from UK to China.

They can't even resolve the breakdowns and mis-management, they dare to think abt venturing overseas? My toes are laughing.