SMRT Case Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silence Sky

Deregistered
Sep 5, 2006
SMRT spends $142m to makeover 66 trains. That means each train gets $2.15m.
Now the question, what are the purposes of this makeover?
Is it for practical reasons like better efficiency and productivity?
Or is it done to satisfy Singaporeans desire for material possessions? New looks, new feels, trendy seats ect…

Did we emphasize too much on the hardware and neglected the software?
I was traveling on a train yesterday at 4.30pm. The train is pretty new, with fewer seats and colorful fittings. However, I am not comfortable. The cabin is stuffy and the temperature is hot because the aircon is blowing just air at normal room temperature. I change train at Jurong East and hope it will get better. The temperature is right this time, but the PA system is so loud that it is piercing my eardrum.
Would it make me a better runner if I wear $300 skin fit running shoes while you are wearing a $30 lotto sport shoes? So what are Singaporeans made of? It seems like government is doing a great job to give these aging trains a new facelift and we people benefit from it and are very happy.

SMRT puts up the CCTV some time ago. Is it helpful in disaster prevention? Can it activate the emergency button and response to situations? Or just being there for the feel good effects and give the aftermath when disaster happened, who jumped the platform and at what time?
Not too long ago, a train pulled out of Clementi station with a woman’s leg caught in between the train and the platform gap.
SMRT and the newspaper reported what had happened but did not give us an analysis why the tragedy happened and what had gone wrong. We all happily accepted the reports put up by them. Imagine, the train is stationary, the driver has the CCTV and Control station to assist him/her, yet can still roll out of the station with someone caught up between the train.

My points here are, we allow the wasting of precious resources just to feed our pride and ego. We should keep essential services at its most basic form. Are we looking forward to sofa seats in the train, and the train will have Fisrt Class, business and economy seats.
If I hire another 66 drivers to cut short the waiting time, it would cost me $5200 per day, assuming each driver costs $80 per day. I can run for 27307 days, and that is 74 years.

i also took the train... but sometime back... not bad but it is not enough to support their rocket high increase in fares....

I still find NEL trains better.

Now at least SMRT trains are bighter. But the aircon has room for improvement. :)

i also took the train... but sometime back... not bad but it is not enough to support their rocket high increase in fares....
when was the last increase?

If they dun do these upgrade how to raise price fare?

tat's why, they have to spend their profits on something, doesnt matter useful or not...if it's not useful...somehow along the line it will still become 'useful'.

If no expenditure, then there won't be the urgent need to increase price so often, correct?
They can hide the reason from somebody, but not everybody. :bsmilie:

(actually it's the same everywhere when they have surplus funds...just spend lor...so can justify, if no justify, will kena questioned, and then cut budget, cut budget also difficult to do things.)

I remembered how discoloured and the plastic was "flaking" the emergency stop button at Lakeside MRT.

I'll take some photos the next time I take the MRT.

haiz... when they increase the air con, ppl will start complaining global warming... :bsmilie:

who is the main con for the renovation???:think:
:devil:

sg trains expensive meh???

dun make we all pay then u pay meh???

i dun mind...

S'poreans like things to look new, new paint job in yet nother estate, lush greenery, additional street lights. there were 2 bored ppl who started a thread out of boredom. :bsmilie:

so i guess there r lots of bo liao ppl who spend gd $$ on bo liao projects jus to appease bo liao ppl who fuss over unneccessory stuff... :think:

not everything has to be new!! I love old buildings, old playgrounds. Potong Pasir is the best! I hope they never "upgrade" the place. ;p

not everything has to be new!! I love old buildings, old playgrounds. Potong Pasir is the best! I hope they never "upgrade" the place. ;p

:bsmilie:

no more abalone porridge lately.

Haiz, eventually, PP will be "upgraded"... :cry:

70 plus liao

If they dun do these upgrade how to raise price fare?

Short and sharp..it explain everything.
I'm not surprise at all if u see fare hikes in the 3rd quarter of tis year, more ERP gantries..

GST hikes to grow economy? or to grow somebodies pockets?:think:

*Consipracy* :think:

SMRT spends $142m to makeover 66 trains. That means each train gets $2.15m.
Now the question, what are the purposes of this makeover?
Is it for practical reasons like better efficiency and productivity?
Or is it done to satisfy Singaporeans desire for material possessions? New looks, new feels, trendy seats ect…

Did we emphasize too much on the hardware and neglected the software?
I was traveling on a train yesterday at 4.30pm. The train is pretty new, with fewer seats and colorful fittings. However, I am not comfortable. The cabin is stuffy and the temperature is hot because the aircon is blowing just air at normal room temperature. I change train at Jurong East and hope it will get better. The temperature is right this time, but the PA system is so loud that it is piercing my eardrum.
Would it make me a better runner if I wear $300 skin fit running shoes while you are wearing a $30 lotto sport shoes? So what are Singaporeans made of? It seems like government is doing a great job to give these aging trains a new facelift and we people benefit from it and are very happy.

SMRT puts up the CCTV some time ago. Is it helpful in disaster prevention? Can it activate the emergency button and response to situations? Or just being there for the feel good effects and give the aftermath when disaster happened, who jumped the platform and at what time?
Not too long ago, a train pulled out of Clementi station with a woman’s leg caught in between the train and the platform gap.
SMRT and the newspaper reported what had happened but did not give us an analysis why the tragedy happened and what had gone wrong. We all happily accepted the reports put up by them. Imagine, the train is stationary, the driver has the CCTV and Control station to assist him/her, yet can still roll out of the station with someone caught up between the train.

My points here are, we allow the wasting of precious resources just to feed our pride and ego. We should keep essential services at its most basic form. Are we looking forward to sofa seats in the train, and the train will have Fisrt Class, business and economy seats.
If I hire another 66 drivers to cut short the waiting time, it would cost me $5200 per day, assuming each driver costs $80 per day. I can run for 27307 days, and that is 74 years.

I think SMRT should really give out ang bao of ezlink cards valued at least $10 for needy school children instead of the upgrade. I mean, how much can the upgrading do to ease the main problems, like the peak crowds?

I think SMRT should really give out ang bao of ezlink cards valued at least $10 for needy school children instead of the upgrade. I mean, how much can the upgrading do to ease the main problems, like the peak crowds?

Exactly..pumping in money at the wrong places..and not solving problems on hand..

They have to reinvest the profit for upgrading and improvement of public facilities. Renovating the train will show that SMRT care for public comfort and safety.

I just hate the old 9 seaters (from 1 end of the door to the other door). It's just meant for ladies/kids size only. Not for man at all. So does the bus seats space. You can't even fit your knees into that small gap from the seat in front of you.
The newer are 7 seats. Just nice for all sizes.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.