Smile: you're on camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillyme

Sep 27, 2003
Potong Pasir
Face recognition is only the beginning

DOES that new feature increasingly found in pocket-sized digital cameras—face-recognition technology—really work? It’s actually a lot cleverer than you think. A few years ago, it would have needed a shoe-box of electronics to drive it, and it would still have been hit-or-miss. But in the brutally competitive world of digital photography, Canon, Pentax and Fuji have honed the technology so their popular digicams can take more striking pictures by finding, and then focusing on, the faces in the viewfinder.

Taken from The Economist
Article continue here

I think this technology if used properly is quite fun! But I am also reminded of the Big Brother :p

Face recognition is only the beginning

DOES that new feature increasingly found in pocket-sized digital cameras—face-recognition technology—really work? It’s actually a lot cleverer than you think. A few years ago, it would have needed a shoe-box of electronics to drive it, and it would still have been hit-or-miss. But in the brutally competitive world of digital photography, Canon, Pentax and Fuji have honed the technology so their popular digicams can take more striking pictures by finding, and then focusing on, the faces in the viewfinder.

Taken from The Economist
Article continue here

I think this technology if used properly is quite fun! But I am also reminded of the Big Brother :p

Big Brother will have to wait long long lah. The technology is still not even there yet though alot has claim it to be good enough to be implemented. I think some one is taking kick back money for it. If you google about abit more you will find...just like Voice Activation or dictation is still a thing of sci-fi then reality. I was at one time about to embark on a venture with some friend in biometrics, retina scan and yes face stuff and that was like a few years back and from then till today, developement is still very slow on a number of areas. Existing computer power, the level of AI that has been developed, the ever change feature of a face which can change as you age...etc. That all point to a result that categorise it as not practical. Face recognition that is.

Face recognition is still more a fad then anything to worry you that you will be monitored by the big brother. With camera is "taught" to recognise face by shapes and the pattern of the face shape..ie. Eyes to eye brow to nose to mouth..when it detect something that fit certain arrangement of those key shape or contrast it will take it as a face. That means if you take a life size picture of a face and move it about infront of the camera it will try to focus but it will not know if it is a real face or not. There is nothing to worry about being tracked or profile by some camera with face recognition hardware/software. Only in the movies....

That's my take on it and not losing sleep over it heheheh....

Just adding my experience. At the recent IT fair, my friend and I decided to test out face recognition tech by seeing if Fuji or Canon cameras would recognise a face in a newspaper, specifically one of those full-page beauty ads in Today.

We garnered a lot of strange looks from promoters, but managed to conclude that "face recognition" has a hard time picking up real faces, let alone those in the newspaper.

think it is just another gimmick.

i have one 950 Ixus and owned a ex Sony T-series.. with face recognition focus feature..

Conclusion ... cannot make it. Perhaps give another 5-10 years to have this technology matured

i have one 950 Ixus and owned a ex Sony T-series.. with face recognition focus feature..

Conclusion ... cannot make it. Perhaps give another 5-10 years to have this technology matured

next time ... maybe SAF sniper rifle would have these on them as well :bsmilie:

Well, apparently Sony claims it's camera can recognise (and differentiate) when a subject is smiling!

For the first time in digital still camera history,* you can capture joyous moments that used to get away! Whenever Face Detection finds a face, the unique new Smile Shutter mode can spot a smile. Simply activate Smile Shutter, and the camera takes a picture — automatically! Using Sony’s proprietary algorithm, this innovative intelligent auto shutter system responds actively to smiling faces. To start, just choose Smile Shutter from Scene Selection, then press the shutter fully on the subject to be taken; the camera automatically detects the smiling face and closes the shutter. To detect the different degrees of smiles by your subject, you can set Smile Level sensitivity to “high” (to detect a faint smile), “medium” (for a normal smile), or “low” (for a hearty laugh). If there are several subjects in the frame, you can use the Touch Screen to specify the smiling face you want to take as the main subject — or let the Smile Shutter choose the main subject and take the picture. Moreover, the Smile Shutter is great for taking horizontal as well as vertical pictures — including group pictures where everybody is smiling, and self-portrait shots that automatically catch spontaneous smiles at the right moment. Think of the countless smiles you never want to miss — a child’s innocent grin, joyful faces of family and friends, your own happy face in travel photos — and use Smile Shutter to turn good times and good feelings into treasured shots. Time after time, you’ll smile at the results!

http://sonystyle.ca/html/multimedia/DSC/T200_microsite_html/feature_2.html

The face recognition on some of the cameras I've tested seem pretty reliable. They can even pick up our President Yusof Ishak on the $$$ bills. I think their detection algorithm is very simplified; the sensors looks for the most defining features such as the eyes and nose. If you cover up either of these, the cameras will almost always fail to detect the face. Also, the face have to be facing forward, side profiles don't work at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.