Smell in Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beyblade

Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
Hi all, need some advice here.

I notice that whenever I open the door of my dry cabinet, there is a very strong smell...don't know how to describe it..perhaps it is the smell of the silica ? The power normally cuts out when the relative humidity reaches about 60+%, which I would think is about the right setting. I keep my lenses, camera and some films inside ( or could it be the smell of the film ? I cant really differentiate..) Is this smell normal ?

Is this harmful to the lens ? This "vapor" that is causing the smell -will it have any effect on the coating of the lens ? Hope it is not a stupid question.

Question 2 - do you all normally keep your lens with the back cap on in the cabinet or off ? Also your camera with lens attached or not attached ?

Thank you for your comments.

Am using a electric cabinet, i keep the humidity at 45% thereabouts. I think keeping yours at 60% is a tad high.

When i open the cabinet after a week of non-use, there is a distinct smell of stale air, and that is normal, because trapped air will smell like that. Mine is a cheapo cabinet, undertand that some of the more expensive models will have less of this smell (air is better circulated?).

I keep the front and rear caps on for lens.

I do keep the camera and most commonly used lens on, without detaching it. Just wiped with a cotton cloth after every use and then into the cabinet.

Originally posted by fruitybix
Am using a electric cabinet, i keep the humidity at 45% thereabouts. I think keeping yours at 60% is a tad high.

When i open the cabinet after a week of non-use, there is a distinct smell of stale air, and that is normal, because trapped air will smell like that. Mine is a cheapo cabinet, undertand that some of the more expensive models will have less of this smell (air is better circulated?).

I keep the front and rear caps on for lens.

I do keep the camera and most commonly used lens on, without detaching it. Just wiped with a cotton cloth after every use and then into the cabinet.
I agreed with you. I do have this smelly air smell whenever I opened my electronic dry-box. Smell of trapped air.

Hi Pegasus......

I think....sunning you equipment may not be a good one as some lens may have grease which vapourise at some temperature level. This may result in fogging up of the glass through time and degrade image quality......

Using the camera outdoors is better option as the lens will not be that hot....as compared to a static position....

regards,
Sulhan

Originally posted by sulhan
Hi Pegasus......
I think....sunning you equipment may not be a good one as some lens may have grease which vapourise at some temperature level. This may result in fogging up of the glass through time and degrade image quality......
Thanks! I guess you have a very good point there. Appreciated it. :)

Never sun tan you equipment, nor subject them to extreme cold temperatures in the static position, as Sulhan has pointed out. the grease that works the motors in your lens may cake, and the motors will stop working and you will cry until no tears..:)

Best maintenance tip: Do use your equipment once in a while, because keeping them for too long in the cabinet will not gurantee against fungus and fogging.

i consistently replace used tea bags in my dry cabin, and it works well. no more smell. just 1 to 2 per section will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.