small tripod choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilario

Dec 2, 2007
Won a small jackpot few days back, now got the chance to buy a tripod :D Can anyone recommend me a tripod that can hold a K10D with battery grip (i assume at least able to hold ~2-3kg?) that is small enough to carry around conveniently too? I've heard about brands like manfrotto and gitzo but really no knowledge on tripods like whats a ballhead, spirit level etc. I was looking at Velbon, they seem to have small tripods that i might like. I also understand that a cheapie one will not be sturdy enough. My budget is of about ~$80-140.

Please enlighten me thanks! :)

If you could i would advice you to increase ur budget and get a good and sturdy tripod, its one of those things that u pay for what u get, and there is a reason why manfrotto and gitzo cost more than others. And a good tripod is also one of those things that u should invest on. A cheaper and very good alternative would be Benro.

with your budget, i would recommend PPCP Stetige tripod over the velbon tripod you found. More bang for bucks.;)

I was thinking about that cuz of its specs. However as flowerpot says to invest in one i'm in doubt whether that PPCP is a good choice. I saw those Benros and they look like Gitzos eh?
Where should i go to find these, like a really good place with lots of selections so i can try few of them? thanks for ur input!

Recommend Benro, I have been using a Manfrotto, 190XB sturdy but heavy, when I see other photographer carrying Benro, I admire their mobilitity/flexibility ...I also saw people in Thailand use Benro ...Sometimes, if you see me in the dark carrying Manfrtto, people give a pause and look at you, and relieve because it looks like GPMG ..instance, the tripod weight make you lost interest at your photograpshy setup ...I used to think no need to get good tripod at least it can hold, after one years I realised I was wrong... imagine, your will be goiing for travel, if for example China ... someplace really have very tough terrain, sometimes I get better pictures among my friends, because they carry a cheap tripod, which make them distract from the setup.. and I use Manfrotto with Ballhead and one day I follow them carry the cheap tripod I had like them for convenient sake, then I realised how much better I was with Manfrotto although it was heavy one. I will be going for Benro Travel Angel ...I think is among the best tripod you can get..it may be just me.

From what I had come across Travel Angel has fold small, light weight and easy to setup..

Don't make the same mistake like I did.

When it comes to tripods, don't think it is better to save for lens.., you will never regret getting a good one but do your research with your preference or you are more likely to end up with more then one tripods and never satisfy. Like what happned to me.

Benro Travel Angel owner pls tell me!

If you could i would advice you to increase ur budget and get a good and sturdy tripod, its one of those things that u pay for what u get, and there is a reason why manfrotto and gitzo cost more than others. And a good tripod is also one of those things that u should invest on. A cheaper and very good alternative would be Benro.

Agree - I had to run through 2 upgrades before settling on the tripod setup of my choice, which is sturdy and stable enought for me to trust my camera and lens on. 3 arguments for investing more:

1) consider your needs. a sturdy tripod is useful, and necessary in certain outdoor conditions such as high wind, very long exposure, etc. A light and not so sturdy one may cause camera shake, and light streaks (for night shots) on your images for long exposures.

2) Why would you want to trust $2,000 worth of camera + lens on a tripod that's not that sturdy? ;)

3) Getting a good one once is cheaper than multiple upgrades. (take it from me :() I bought a cheapo SLIK, upgraded to a Manfrotto 725B. This one's pretty decent for DSLR with kit lens, but it proved to be inadequate once I got heavier lens, and had to upgrade again! Moral of the story - get a good one, and stick with it!

Think you can get a pretty good setup (tripod + head) for ard $300 - and that'll set you up for quite a long time.

Recommend Benro, I have been using a Manfrotto, 190XB sturdy but heavy, when I see other photographer carrying Benro, I admire their mobilitity/flexibility ...I also saw people in Thailand use Benro ...Sometimes, if you see me in the dark carrying Manfrtto, people give a pause and look at you, and relieve because it looks like GPMG ..instance, the tripod weight make you lost interest at your photograpshy setup ...I used to think no need to get good tripod at least it can hold, after one years I realised I was wrong... imagine, your will be goiing for travel, if for example China ... someplace really have very tough terrain, sometimes I get better pictures among my friends, because they carry a cheap tripod, which make them distract from the setup.. and I use Manfrotto with Ballhead and one day I follow them carry the cheap tripod I had like them for convenient sake, then I realised how much better I was with Manfrotto although it was heavy one. I will be going for Benro Travel Angel ...I think is among the best tripod you can get..it may be just me.

Agree! ;) Read somewhere that there should be a balance - get a sturdy tripod, but not so heavy that you won't bring it anywhere. For me the 190XPROB (lighter than 190XB) with 488 ballhead works. Its not light, certainly, but manageable enough for me to bring ard the whole day.

I'm afraid imitation is the sincerest form of flattery as far as Benro is concerned. P3ntx, if you didn't already know, that Benro Travel Angel is an outright copy of the Gitzo Traveller.

I've used Manfrotto for quite a while and it does offer a good combination of performance and value. But right now it is Gitzo for me. The new Gitzos open and extend in seconds! The new G-locks increases the load capacity by almost double! The locks actually lock stronger with more load applied! Substantial weight savings! Yes they are that good but obviously priced at a premium.

I was thinking about that cuz of its specs. However as flowerpot says to invest in one i'm in doubt whether that PPCP is a good choice. I saw those Benros and they look like Gitzos eh?
Where should i go to find these, like a really good place with lots of selections so i can try few of them? thanks for ur input!

It is a much better choice compared to the velbon. Benros are like clones of Gitzos.
I would recommend CP, TK or OP to check or try out the tripods.

But right now it is Gitzo for me. The new Gitzos open and extend in seconds! The new G-locks increases the load capacity by almost double! The locks actually lock stronger with more load applied! Substantial weight savings! Yes they are that good but obviously priced at a premium.

Yeah right, I just spent 1.2k to upgrade my most loved SlikSprintPro tripod to a Gitzo GT1540 and Markins Q3 Ballhead combo. No more worries about tripod foe me :) It's expensive, but after a short while testing, I think it's really worth cost. The G-Locks rock! The Markins Q3 ballhead is super light but the load capacity is amazing.

Oh well, everyone has to go through all these upgrade before learning the lesson. Good things don't come cheap, especially for tripod.

Never know that Gizto G-lock actually gets stronger with increase load...:bigeyes: so it is either Gizto or Benro ...

Benro never indicate this features. How does it escape being sued for imitation by Gizto..:think:

Yeah right, I just spent 1.2k to upgrade my most loved SlikSprintPro tripod to a Gitzo GT1540 and Markins Q3 Ballhead combo. No more worries about tripod foe me :) It's expensive, but after a short while testing, I think it's really worth cost. The G-Locks rock! The Markins Q3 ballhead is super light but the load capacity is amazing.

Oh well, everyone has to go through all these upgrade before learning the lesson. Good things don't come cheap, especially for tripod.

Welcome to the Gitzo CF gang! BTW can PM me how much you paid for the Markins Q3.

One fact that many don't realise is how often the working pro uses a tripod. P3ntx, all I can say is for a lot of people, buying a product that looks like a Gitzo at a fraction of the price of an authentic Gitzo may seem like a bargain and a good idea. But as much as it may look good and perform adequately, there is really no escaping the fact that the Gitzo is demonstrably superior in quality, performance and reliability.

Some months ago while on business in HK, I went to an industrial area with my client where chanced upon a warehouse full of Benros. While the prices were so, so cheap and much, much lower than prices locally, I resisted buying because I know my Gitzo is so much better. Perhaps it is just me because it brings to mind an incident many years ago when I witnessed a photographer had his expensive Leica smash to the ground when his cheap tripod gave way. An expensive lesson that I hope will never happen to me.

The weight of the tripod depend on the camera and your lens. They need to be balance to give you the stability required. You height is also important to select a tripod that is suitable for you. Go to CP at peninsular Tripod section to try out. Their salesperson are quite knowledgeable and shld help you determine your choice.

The tripod is for you, dont adjust yourself to fit the tripod.

Now I am in a dilema between Benro and Gizto, head crash... in future hope to get some 2.8 long range lens ( I still believe in heavy old fast star lens) for Wildlife shoot ...I am looking at 12 Kg ..load Capacity but light weight tripod ...Is it better to get more sections/legs, that get more sturdy?

It is strange that Gizto traveller states it carry up to 4.5/5kg, where Benro travel angel has range from 5 to 12kg load capacity.

I have huge hand would prefer large diameter leg.

I am thinking far for tripod.

Now I am in a dilema between Benro and Gizto, head crash... in future hope to get some 2.8 long range lens ( I still believe in heavy old fast star lens) for Wildlife shoot ...I am looking at 12 Kg ..load Capacity but light weight tripod ...Is it better to get more sections/legs, that get more sturdy?

It is strange that Gizto traveller states it carry up to 4.5/5kg, where Benro travel angel has range from 5 to 12kg load capacity.

I have huge hand would prefer large diameter leg.

I am thinking far for tripod.

This setup (legs+ballhead) weights less than 1.5k total, but has a load capacity of 10kg (10kg on the legs, 40kg on the head):

Gitzo1540_MarkinsQ3_s.jpg

haha... wow... all these replies are amazing. What would fit my needs if i just want a very no-frills tripod that holds the camera well? I'll go down to CP one day when i'm free for a look :)

Will the Silk Carbon Fiber series such as 814 --be more capable the Benro Travel Angel .. statement C-268/269 M8 that both have load capacity of 12 KG, still Silk states about 5-KG.

Does the load capacity matters ???:dunno:

I have a secondhand Beno KJ-1 ball head-trying to find a sturdy/light weight tripod that has good weight capacity as a good companion and hope to get one which willbe my last tripod.:(

Silk 814 looks much better then Benro ...but the weight load capacity is a disappointment on Silk Caron Fiber compare to Benro -268/269 M8

Status
Not open for further replies.