Small shoulder camera bag for mirrorless cameras

DemonicAngelz

Mar 15, 2006
Singapore
www.demonicangelz.com
Hi guys, firstly I would like to acknowledge that I know there are many camera bag threads out there and many options can be gotten with a simple search on google or using the forum's search engine. I have already done an extensive search, but could not find a bag that meets my needs and I was hoping that someone out there has seen a bag that fits the requirements. It seems hard to find a small bag that allows you to fit a tripod.

Requirements
  1. Shoulder sling bag
  2. Small form factor (Just enough to fit X-Pro1 + 3 lenses)
  3. Has a way to fit a tripod securely (to fit a small tripod, similar to SIRUI T005)
  4. No velcro
  5. Below $175

Good if got
  • Looks good
  • Canvas
  • Preferably not overly padded (like a Lowepro)
  • Not too expensive

The closest I got was a Billingham 5 series bag which is WAY to large for my needs. It would defeat the purpose of getting a mirrorless system if my bag is that large.

Last edited:
Alternatively I could get a normal small shoulder bag (Billingham Hadley small, Domke F-5XB, etc.) if I had good way of carrying the tripod around...

DemonicAngelz said:
Alternatively I could get a normal small shoulder bag (Billingham Hadley small, Domke F-5XB, etc.) if I had good way of carrying the tripod around...

Check out NG 2346. Light weight. Use your creativity to hook your tripod. Within your budget. Travel friendly. Canvas.

Last edited:
ataraxist said:
Check out NG 2346. Light weight. Use your creativity to hook your tripod. Within your budget. Travel friendly. Canvas.

Wow. Googled that and it looks good. Where to find in Singapore?

I actually saw this before I posted. I thought it was a good idea and I could use some rope to tie the tripod to the two hooks up front. However, I was thinking it would be quite insecure in the sense that it would be attached to the hook on the flap of the bag instead of to the bag itself, making it lopsided and hard to cary.

DemonicAngelz said:
I actually saw this before I posted. I thought it was a good idea and I could use some rope to tie the tripod to the two hooks up front. However, I was thinking it would be quite insecure in the sense that it would be attached to the hook on the flap of the bag instead of to the bag itself, making it lopsided and hard to cary.

Depending on your tripod size. Usually I carry the tripod separately. Also...do u use tripod all the time? If so, you should look for back pack instead that comes with tripod pouch.

silvermoon1407 said:
Wow. Googled that and it looks good. Where to find in Singapore?

Tk foto. Cathay photo. It's overseas travel friendly it comes with back-strap to slot into luggage handle n carry handle on top of the bag.

Depending on your tripod size. Usually I carry the tripod separately. Also...do u use tripod all the time? If so, you should look for back pack instead that comes with tripod pouch.

I guess I should explain the rationale for a small shoulder bag. I need it to fit into a hand carry luggage on budget airlines, so I prefer it to be as small as possible.

I guess I should explain the rationale for a small shoulder bag. I need it to fit into a hand carry luggage on budget airlines, so I prefer it to be as small as possible.

I've got a small cute Mickey Mouse shoulder bag from Challenger Hougang Mall last week $17+
PM me your email & I'll sent you some photos of that bag if you wants to see it.

chicken chop said:
I've got a small cute Mickey Mouse shoulder bag from Challenger Hougang Mall last week $17+
PM me your email & I'll sent you some photos of that bag if you wants to see it.

Hahaha... next thing u know.. he will suggest using a plastic bag...

DemonicAngelz said:
I'm not sure if this is a sarcastic post...

Haha! Relax dude. I've seen the mickey mouse bag. It's a decent legit camera bag. The mickey mouse design doesn't negates its purpose. Cheers.

DemonicAngelz said:
I'm not sure if this is a sarcastic post...

Must it be a real camera bag, i.e. padded and with compartments and all? If not, you can consider Porter. They have a wide range of Messenger bags, both leather and nylon (think parachute nylon weaving). They're thinly padded so protection is not as good as a camera bag. But they are amazingly light weight, and fashionable.

Drillbit said:
Must it be a real camera bag, i.e. padded and with compartments and all? If not, you can consider Porter. They have a wide range of Messenger bags, both leather and nylon (think parachute nylon weaving). They're thinly padded so protection is not as good as a camera bag. But they are amazingly light weight, and fashionable.

http://www.bigfoottraveller.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/masthead/porter_camera.png

This one looks good.

Never consider Thinktank Retrospective 5 or 7?

There are not many shoulder bags that allow you to hook on your tripod, Thinktank UD series allow that but you lose ability to place your bag on the floor.

I'm an x-pro1 user myself and I use Retrospective 7. Just the right size but I usually don't bring my tripod out.

Doesn't have to be a camera bag. Using inserts are fine.
Main thing must be able to carry small tripod easily and not bulky.

Never consider Thinktank Retrospective 5 or 7?

There are not many shoulder bags that allow you to hook on your tripod, Thinktank UD series allow that but you lose ability to place your bag on the floor.

I'm an x-pro1 user myself and I use Retrospective 7. Just the right size but I usually don't bring my tripod out.
I consider the Retrospective 7 the right size too... Just that it can't attach tripod..

UD is too big though, the smallest one has the following specs: "Urban Disguise® 40 V2.0, Briefcase size camera bag that carries a pro or regular size DSLR with a standard zoom lens attached, 2–4 additional lenses, including a 70-200 f2.8"

Folded tripods like the Gitzo 1541/1542T should fit under the main flap... Use the Velcro to fasten it. There is a metal hook in the Retro7 that allows you to clip onto the tripod.

Well... Just thinking out of the box :p I prefer had carry my tripod as I like keeping my bag light.