"Small island, small minds?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
student said:
Small island
Small mind
Inferiority complex
Writer is a European

You have some form of complex? An "I am better than you complex?". So a European is better? You assume that because the writer is a Europen, she may not get into the act?

What ails your mentality?

Yes, the drivers here have bad driving habits. I have lived and worked in US and UK. I have driven in Europe. Yes, when I was living in London in the 80s, the drivers were largely well behaved. But my latest experience there is not so good any more.

You know what? The worst traffic offenders and the most recalcitrant I have seen in Singapore are AngMos! And in particular, the cyclists! They think they own the road. They cycle abreast in twos and threes when there cars behind queueing to overtake them.

Once a idiot Ang Mo actually opened my car door when I was waiting in a traffic junction, because I gave him a little "toot" to warn him that I was going to overtake him. Another gave me a finger up because I overtook him. I gave him a response that his finger should go up his a***.

They have also irritated my wife and friends. It was only when we discussed these things, that we realised what the corporate attitude of these wonderful Ang Mos are!

Well, all this is not to justify the baad driving behaviour of Singapore drivers. But to hopefully inculcate in you a more reasonable mentality?

Small island?
Small minds?
Inferiority complex?
Non European?

or

Big country
Overblown mind
Superiority complex
Terrible Ang Mos

Which is the worse offender?
There are bad apples and good, which you wanna follow?

Hommie said:
There are bad apples and good, which you wanna follow?
Are we going to compare "Who Behaves the Worst"?

Hommie said:
Are we going to compare "Who Behaves the Worst"?

Comparison not required. There are good and bad apples everywhere.

What I wrote was an illustration of the kind of bigotry that civilized human beings do not need.

And one bad apple should not call another bad apple bad.

Or "Let him who has no sin be the first to cast the stone".

student said:
Comparison not required. There are good and bad apples everywhere.

What I wrote was an illustration of the kind of bigotry that civilized human beings do not need.

And one bad apple should not call another bad apple bad.

I think you just did that.

TMC said:
I move to close this thread.

+1

Why? Its a good open discussion....
:)

Or are we so afraid of confronting our ugly sides.....
;p

Btw, seen good divers too.... but they are few and far between...
;)

student said:
I mean every word I say. I am direct and to the point. If you have any rebuttal to my comments, say it.

I am particularly pissed off by such comments as made by you. People who only see the faults in others (allegedly less cultured, small minded, non Ang Mos) but ignoring the terrible attributes in themselves (documented big ego, red hair, big country mentality).

In my profession, the worst offenders are the Ang Mos.

i dont have any rebuttal really, if thats what you are looking for.
i hope you are not trying to invoke a bad feel, leading to a verbal slugout, if again thats whats you are looking for.

your language is less than friendly this i am pretty sure by now.
i still hope its your own figure of speech.

i admit some er..caucasians are er..a bit fussy, but again theres bad apples theres good. but here we are not talking about them, it just happen the case is reported by a westerner, whom i felt is lesser likely to get into the fray, least for the time being. question here is should we relook ourselves internally.

to clarify my stand, i dont have red hair (i wish i CAN have) and come from anything but a big (physically that is) country. documented big ego, yes i should check back with my fourteen ex-bosses.

ultimately...relax ok.

Hommie said:
I think you just did that.

I am sorry. Call me dense.

I cannot see your logic.

Driving once every so often I do notice a tendency by some drivers.

See amber light = 5th gear, NOS Power Up, Super Dash
Ppl can't cut me or a piece of my meat falls off
Give way? Why shld I? Ppl shld give way to me.

Its not of the 'small island, small mind' rubbish. Its more of the human being.

And I have the most unfortunate experience of experiencing such kinda drivers personally and nearly flew outta the car cos of a sudden e-brake.

itisnottheendorg said:
you sound quite serious, harsh and insultful. i hope its just a figure of speech.

Do you even understand the meaning of harsh and insultful?

You wrote, in your very first post, your very last sentence,

"I do not see Singapore anything more than a small country with small-minded people".

With that one sentence, posted by you (although presumably written one Ang Mo woman) the entire population of Singapore was made to look like some inferior down there creatures.

Think about it!

I am not a Singaporean. I do not look for fights. But when one presents itself, I do not shy away from it, especially on an issue that smacks of colonial bigotry.

Man, it's getting awfully stuffy in here........
On a lighter note, let me tell you what I do for a living (apart from being a bad driver)......
" I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.
I sleep all night and I work all day.

I cut down trees. I wear high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear Mama "

....'nuff said. ;p

The ang moh just called Singaporeans small minded. While we do accept that there are people who behave differently on the roads, does it justify that ang moh's view to brand all Singaporeans alike? Student is making this point, and I saw it the instance I read the first post. Did the rest of you pick this up? Maybe the rest of you inferred that that ang moh was specific to Singapore motorists, but I don't think the parting shot by that ang moh was meant to be so.

student said:
Comparison not required. There are good and bad apples everywhere. What I wrote was an illustration of the kind of bigotry that civilized human beings do not need. And one bad apple should not call another bad apple bad.

I am sorry. Call me dense. I cannot see your logic.
If you think that what the topic was a illustration of bigotry and one apple should not call another bad, then what is this:

Yes, the drivers here have bad driving habits. I have lived and worked in US and UK. I have driven in Europe. Yes, when I was living in London in the 80s, the drivers were largely well behaved. But my latest experience there is not so good any more.

You know what? The worst traffic offenders and the most recalcitrant I have seen in Singapore are AngMos! And in particular, the cyclists! They think they own the road. They cycle abreast in twos and threes when there cars behind queueing to overtake them.

Once a idiot Ang Mo actually opened my car door when I was waiting in a traffic junction, because I gave him a little "toot" to warn him that I was going to overtake him. Another gave me a finger up because I overtook him. I gave him a response that his finger should go up his a***.

They have also irritated my wife and friends. It was only when we discussed these things, that we realised what the corporate attitude of these wonderful Ang Mos are!

Well, all this is not to justify the baad driving behaviour of Singapore drivers. But to hopefully inculcate in you a more reasonable mentality?

Small island?
Small minds?
Inferiority complex?
Non European?

or

Big country
Overblown mind
Superiority complex
Terrible Ang Mos

Which is the worse offender?

You are throwing the stone back at the poeple who did it first. You are pointing out to the other side that you are just as bad, isn't that apple calling another apple bad? Isn't calling "idiot Ang Mo" casting the stone?

Hommie said:
You are throwing the stone back at the poeple who did it first. You are pointing out to the other side that you are just as bad, isn't that apple calling another apple bad? Isn't calling "idiot Ang Mo" casting the stone?

No, I am not known for my command of the English language. But I do know how to read.
And I do know of some people who think they know how to read actually don't!

When I pointed my finger at that "Idiot Ang Mo", I was doing just that. Pointing my finger at that "Idiot Ang Mo". I did not point my finger at the entire Ang Mo race. Do you need an education to know the difference? Can you read. Do I have to point out that my ire was directed at individuals - not the Ang Mo race?

You are entitled to think that I am a bloody "ar****le". That is perfectly fine with me. But don't insult my ancestors who were sages when the Ang Mos were still savages. I do not have the wish to indulge you in Chinese History.

But for heaven sake's some bad drivers do not make the entire Singapore people "Small-minded".

I hope you are broad-minded to see the obvious difference. Or maybe you are also one of "them"?

Phildate said:
Well this Ang Mo thinks that Student's post is offensive.

We are not fools.

You feel insulted by student's post, how do you feel about that ang moh's post, or maybe you simply missed the point since it is not aimed at you while student's post is too close for comfort for you?

There is now a race known as 'Ang Mo'?? Last time I looked on the immigration form I was described as a Caucasian.

I know it's not considered a rude or racist term (even though it is) but I think the way you use it Student, it becomes just that.

And this thread was all about politeness I believe...

i believe its just a case of mis-reading certain meaning that the other party is trying to covey. :)

i do not believe that there is such a thing as a all perfect race/country or whatsoever.. come down to the very root, we are all but human beings as mentioned by someone before.

so take a break and chill out, there are good and bad apples everywhere.

Phildate said:
And this thread was all about politeness I believe...

I am usually very polite. Very, very sweet.

But when some bigot comes along..........

Do you think that when someone writes that your friends, and siblings, and spouse, and children ,and parents are "small-minded", that someone deserves a "polite" response?

If you have any measure of common sense and human deceny, don't you think you should join me to heap the harshest condemnation on such bigotry!?

Or are you closing ranks with your fellow kinsman? Ah then, where is the culture and learning? Or are the "superior" education mere "b****t?

Status
Not open for further replies.