"Small Flash" Suggestions

ice15

Jan 19, 2009
Singapore
ice15.wordpress.com
I am looking for a small flash for my D90.

I intend to use it for travelling as there are times when I think my built-in flash is not strong enough.

Another reason is that when I use my wide angle lenses, my built in flash casts a shadow on my photos.

At present, I am thinking of getting an SB-400.

Anyone who can recommend a better flash (even third party).

There is 3rd party flash, such as Yong Nuo, Nissin, etc.
But I still recommend the Nikon flash for you. SB400 is the best "Small Flash" for you to start with.

The SB400 even can bounce light to the ceiling with additional bounce card for fill light, like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mortaric/1791748307/

thanks Jeff7id

I already own a SB-600 and I intend to get an SB-900 next year :) 2011.

But everytime I travel with my family, I find that the SB-600 is too big.

I think the SB-400 size is perfect, I just want to know if there are other available options other than the SB-400.

There are a lot of 3rd party TTL flash, but the size is about the same with SB-600.

I think SB-400 is the smallest i-TTL flash made for Nikon.

I am looking for a small flash for my D90.

I intend to use it for travelling as there are times when I think my built-in flash is not strong enough.

Another reason is that when I use my wide angle lenses, my built in flash casts a shadow on my photos.

At present, I am thinking of getting an SB-400.

Anyone who can recommend a better flash (even third party).

Not sure is it this problem.
You can take out your lens hood to prevent shadow cast into your images.

SB400 might not be available new anymore, not very sure, please confirm this before making your decision otherwise it will be a waste of time:).

SB 400 is still in production but most of the stores are out of stock. If you require a set, you might want to give NSC(Sales dept.) a call. They are able to arrange a set to be available at one of the recommended stores.:)

I have an idea in using the SB400.

Perhaps one can hook it up with an extension cord to overcome the limitation in bounce flash.

I have an idea in using the SB400.

Perhaps one can hook it up with an extension cord to overcome the limitation in bounce flash.

Or DIY, SB400 can bounce light to the ceiling with additional bounce card as shown here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mortaric/1791748307/

Bounce light to the ceiling would avoid shadow of the long lens to be casted into your images.