Small(est) Hotshoe Flash WITH Manual Settings

karnage

Feb 26, 2005
Ang Mo Kio
Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of a multi-flash setup for macro work for some time now. The itch started when I saw Nikon's R1C1 being wireless. But the drawbacks of the tiny flash units (SB-R200 which are about GN10, ISO100, in metres) are that you can't mount it on hotshoes and fire it on-camera.

I'm wondering if there are any similarly sized flashes that ARE shoe-mountable, and with adjustable power settings. At the moment, the closest I've got are my 2 SB-30's at GN16 (ISO100 in metres) with adjustable output: 1/1, 1/8, and 1/32. If I can rig it to be near the front of my lens, I can trigger them in manual mode using RF triggers. But I'm just wondering, y'know, if there are third parties that have managed to reverse-engineer Nikon's iTTL, made it tiny, given it a hotshoe, and selling it cheap(er). ;p

Thanks in advance for all input!

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of a multi-flash setup for macro work for some time now. The itch started when I saw Nikon's R1C1 being wireless. But the drawbacks of the tiny flash units (SB-R200 which are about GN10, ISO100, in metres) are that you can't mount it on hotshoes and fire it on-camera.

I'm wondering if there are any similarly sized flashes that ARE shoe-mountable, and with adjustable power settings. At the moment, the closest I've got are my 2 SB-30's at GN16 (ISO100 in metres) with adjustable output: 1/1, 1/8, and 1/32. If I can rig it to be near the front of my lens, I can trigger them in manual mode using RF triggers. But I'm just wondering, y'know, if there are third parties that have managed to reverse-engineer Nikon's iTTL, made it tiny, given it a hotshoe, and selling it cheap(er). ;p

Thanks in advance for all input!

All the small 3rd party flashes out there are cheap manual flashes... no TTL iTTL or CLS.

Hey there! Sorry, work has been crazy these days.

Anyways, I actually don't mind cheap manual flashes, as long as I'm able to adjust the output to be consistent. Like 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32... etc. Of course, I'm aware that how low it can go depends on the GN. But as long as I can get a fixed low(ish) output, I'm glad. =) My SB30's fit the bill, but I'm just wondering if there are alternatives out there.

Thanks!