Small DSLR or a Superzoom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusum Kangguru

Jul 27, 2005
I am thinking of getting a camera for my upcoming trip to the Himalayas.

Trying to decide between a superzoom, or an entry level DLSR with a 18-200mm.

Any advice? Any recommendation for the superzoom?
For the DSLR, I am thinking of the canon 450d, sony a300/350, or maybe a pentax. Size and weight are quite important to me. I am flexible with the budget.

Thanks!

an 18-200mm is never going to be light not so sure about sigma...take nikon afs 18-200mm for example due to its weight, some users of this lens switched to the lighter afs 18-135mm instead.
you can try d40/40x/60 with the 18-135mm setup, should be light enough.

For the DSLR, I am thinking of the canon 450d, sony a300/350, or maybe a pentax. Size and weight are quite important to me. I am flexible with the budget.

Thanks!

I guess if you do not mind about the age of K100D, perhaps it might be a good choice since the body is one of the smallest body. Lens wise, the 18-200mm is about 405g. So I think the total set up about 1.5kg (646g + 405g).

I would recommend the Fujifilm FinePix S100fs superzoom. I saw some sample from the camera and the picture is great as compared among the prosumer range.

:)

First thing that comes to my mind is the Nikon 18-135mm kit Lens for D80. The range is reasonable, it can be used for both landsacpe and zoom in shots. It's a good lens for travelling!

Since you have a flexible budget, go for the D80 body + kit. If you still have cash change the kit lens for the 18-200mm

Just make sure of your battery requirements, esp at high altitude, there is less recharge and power is sapped faster.

That said, it depends on what size and weight you like to handle. The 18-200 with a D50 is less than 1kg, and its right for me. What about you? What are you using now?

Which part of the Himalayas are you going to? You might like a lighter 12-24mm wide angle lens to go with your DSLR, that is if you are getting one. More for the wide angle view and the landscape shots.

I was in nepal a few years back with a F65, and most of my shots are done with the 28-80mm lens, with the rare peak shot using the 70-300mm lens. Its film, so using the digital equivalent, you could consider a d40 with 18-55mm and an extra 55-200mm lens, which covers your range and you can do wonders with the 18-55mm on your trip. Hardly need to switch to the 55-200mm lens....;)

The Sony A300 is not available yet, so you may want to consider the A200 or A350 with the lightweight 18-250mm lens. It a very versatile lens if you only want to travel with 1 lens.

Thanks to all for your advices and recommendations.

Just to answer a few questions.

I am not using any camera now. This will be my first substantial camera.
I will be going to the Karakorams, if all goes well :p

I think 1 kg is the max I am willing to carry. Anything heavier I don't think I will have the motivation to whip out the camera and take pictures while I am struggling breathlessly uphill.

It seems that I need to find a balance between picture quality and size/weight.

I think 1 kg is the max I am willing to carry. Anything heavier I don't think I will have the motivation to whip out the camera and take pictures while I am struggling breathlessly uphill.

Based on your requirements, if its me, I will go with a D40 and a 18-200mm VR lens. Problem is, I would carry a tripod for those sunset and sunrise shot, though you could get sufficiently sharp sunrise/sunset shot with the VR, that is if you can handhold it. Practise first. The D40 should be able to last you for quite some time, but do get extra batteries.

However, do go down to the shops to see if you like the feel of this camera or other camera sets....;)

I think you would whip out that camera even if you are breathless when you see the view...;) I sure did run upslope to catch a sunset peak and had to get to a good position before the sun set...Got that shot.its worth it!

Maybe you want to consider a SLR-liked prosumer instead.

u might want to consider using prosumer camera first
i started out with Fujifilm S602Z which serve me very well for the pass 5 yrs
went mt ophir with it and took photos of my team mates as well as scenic view
its not excellent as compare with DSLR now, but i wld say the quality of it isnt shabby
moreover, when u are climbing, if u wanna take photo of ur teammates, u gotta go either first
or be the last cos for me, i like to take either they are in action or struggle in action
hehe

and weight is an issue as mayb in some place u gotta balance and take photo using both ur hand
and u might just hang the camera out in case u need to take some pic in the fastest time available
who noes

if u still tink u wan a DSLR, go ahead and get 1
i am getting my first DSLR after using my prosumer cam for 5 yrs
will b getting 450D
i upgrade as i find that it cant satisfy my needs anymore

rem to hav fun while shooting as well~

Other than deciding a prosumer vs dslr for ur current trip, do you foresee urself doing abit more photography in the future?

Ryan

For prosumer, I am thinking of the Panasonic FZ18 or the Fujifilm S100SF (as recommended). Any others? I once had the Canon S1IS, but din quite like it. Hopefully these two will feel different.

Actually I am not sure if I will pick up photography as a hobby in the future. I sure like taking photos, and looking at beautiful photos, but I am not sure whether I will bring out my 2-3 kg camera assemble every weekend to take photos. I am more of a holiday photographer, but i want quality photos, especially of nature, mountains and valleys. I am not the "lets get everybody in the centre of the frame and snap a photo with the scenery behind" kind :p I compose and think about my photo before opening the shutter.

Why not try the Panasonic FZ50? Nearly full DSLR handling (manual zoom & focusing), support external TTL flash (Fujifilm S100SF does not support external TTL flash ).

Just my 2 cents

FZ18 got many interesting features, but image quality is only so-so.
The major disadvantage is the lack of hotshoe for external flash.
However in terms of value for money this is still one of the best, if not the best.
If u can afford higher price, i dun really recommend this camera.
And please! Dun get fuji S5700, S5800.
They are super cheap ...but really cmi. u will find alot constraints using them

Thanks!

a zoom lens for himalayas? Just my opinion, I will prefer to use a wide angle lens for scenery shots. What can you zoom in the mountains? But well, I personally own the 18-200mm VR. Its a good travel lens.

Reasons for not advising people to buy the FZ18:

1. Zoom lever is abit stiff
2. Can't use optical zoom when taking movie
3. Can't attach an external flash ( no hot shoe )

If you want a smaller (DSLR-like) camera, the Canon S5 IS would be a better choice?

a zoom lens for himalayas? Just my opinion, I will prefer to use a wide angle lens for scenery shots. What can you zoom in the mountains? But well, I personally own the 18-200mm VR. Its a good travel lens.

You will be surprised what you could do with a zoom lense in the mountains. I had no regrets carrying my 70-300G lens with my F65 film SLR to nepal. I could show you my shot, but its not scanned in yet, and the photos and I are continents apart. Not every scenery shot needs to be done with a wide angle. You need to tell your story. Opportunities abound.

My friend had a 80-200 heavy weight with him when we were in Nepal and the photos are amazing....;)

That said, the 18-200mm on a DSLR covers most of what I need for travel. I still have a wide angle and 50mm in my pack though.

Status
Not open for further replies.