SLRS: Canon EOS 630, 5, or Kiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrust

Sep 25, 2004
i'm currently considering these 3 models.. but i really have very little idea about these 3 cameras. there are very limited reviews of them and somehow they all give equally good comments so i can't really decide which one to get.

the best part of the deal is that the EOS 630 comes with normal zoom lens + a telephoto (300mm) for the same price as the 5 and Kiss which comes only with normal zoom lens.

my most important concern is that i want a fast AF system because i'm quite pissed with how slow consumer digicams AFs are. i've heard about people saying how fast their lenses are but please don't confuse a film photography noob here. lol.

so yeap, please help me decide and give some input! i'm more inclined to getting the 5 or the Kiss though, especially the 5. :)

thay all have slow AF. eos 5 has a documented history of command dial problems

go for eos 33 / eos 30

user111 said:
thay all have slow AF. eos 5 has a documented history of command dial problems

go for eos 33 / eos 30

haha darn it! really? man. i was hoping i could get a good film slr for around $350. the eos 33/30 seems a little out of budget.

how slow you reckon it is? it'd still be fast than consumer digicams right? i hope...

antitrust said:
haha darn it! really? man. i was hoping i could get a good film slr for around $350. the eos 33/30 seems a little out of budget.

how slow you reckon it is? it'd still be fast than consumer digicams right? i hope...

I'm using an EOS A2 (EOS 5 w/o eye-controlled-focus) and can say that even with AFD lenses, it's AF is still faster than Prosumer digicams..

Firefox said:
I'm using an EOS A2 (EOS 5 w/o eye-controlled-focus) and can say that even with AFD lenses, it's AF is still faster than Prosumer digicams..

ahh. that's very comforting to hear! :)

btw, Firefox, do you happen to be the same Firefox from hardwarezone? :)

i used to post there alot under the nick froz3n :p

yes the Af on eos 5 is faster than digicams but

eos 5 is a long discontinued product

if u intent to keep it for the next 10 yrs

spare parts for servicing may very well go extinct

in summary try not to buy discontinued products

for $350 its not enough u need to increasd budget to minimum $500 to include at least a kit lense

user111 said:

for $350 its not enough u need to increasd budget to minimum $500 to include at least a kit lense

i've found a couple of SLRs with lenses on yahoo auctions. they seem to be quite a bargain. :)

and thanks a lot for the advice on discontinued products! Will keep that in mind! :) This is more of a short-term kind of investment, as I will be planning to go digital in the next few years, hopefully by then I would be a better photographer and would be able to afford better (digital) equipment. :)

Once again, thanks alot! :)

antitrust said:
ahh. that's very comforting to hear! :)

btw, Firefox, do you happen to be the same Firefox from hardwarezone? :)

i used to post there alot under the nick froz3n :p

Yes... Used to be rather active somewhere around 1998 - 2001, whereabouts..

user111 said:

That's quite true..
But then I bought my EOS A2 off the Buy & Sell sub-forums here for only S$200 some few months back. So that's quite a steal..
Adding a cheap 2nd hand 28-105 II USM or 24/ 2.8 AFD would cost more than the camera though. Typically around $250 - $280 for either lense.

Unfortunately, I doubt that decent consumer colour film (in 135 format) would remain around in Sg for that long.. Probably around 5 years or so, I reckon.. I might be wrong though..

If u r interested, I got a EOS 50 for sale.
can PM me.

Thanks 4 reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.