Slr

Status
Not open for further replies.

kent_ridge

Apr 18, 2004
I'm really new in the cameras stuff and I will like to ask what kind of camera is considered as a SLR? Is it any cameras that can attached lens on is call one?

Is Panasonic FX10 considered one?

Thanks!

SLR: Single Lens Reflex cameras.
It has a mirror that allows you to look through the camera lens uptil the actual moment of shooting. As you are looking through the lens, what you see is what you get. And, no, cameras with electronic viewfinders don't classify as SLR as they don't have the mirror mechanism. And electronic viewfinder nowadays still cannot equal the viewfinder of a true SLR, no matter how crappy.

Okie so digital cameras where you can add on a teleconverter is not call a SLR.

Given a SLR camera and a digital camera with teleconverter, which is better at zooming in to things?

Thanks a lot of the explaining!! =D

kent_ridge said:
I'm really new in the cameras stuff and I will like to ask what kind of camera is considered as a SLR? Is it any cameras that can attached lens on is call one?

Is Panasonic FX10 considered one?

Thanks!

SLR .... Long story, I shall point you to some website for definition :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/slr.html

Panasonic FX10???? The photocopy machine? Or Lumix DMC-FZ10 (some call it DMC-FX10) .... hehehe .... no brainer ;) .... Just joking .... Anyway, That is a SLR-Like Camera and not a SLR camera as per say ;)

kent_ridge said:

Given a SLR camera and a digital camera with teleconverter, which is better at zooming in to things?

Depends, if DSLR with a Teleconverter, it is a SLR. If you are talking about things like Oly 5050 or the other Prosumer like Lumix-FZ10, they are not.

If you compare SLR with DSLR, no difference, but SLR will have tendency to focus faster.

SLR vs Prosumer Digital Cam, it will depends on what do you mean by better at zooming into things. ;)

kent_ridge said:

For SLR, since you can change the lens, it depends on how good your lens is. And SLR also can add teleconvertors to lenses...

justarius said:
For SLR, since you can change the lens, it depends on how good your lens is. And SLR also can add teleconvertors to lenses...

Not all SLR can change lens ;) ..... hehehe.... some old flim camera with fixed Lens are called Fixed Lens SLR :) .... hehehe.....

DSLR? Oh what's that? Wow, that's like a lot of things to learn.

Okie, thanks. So it's a SLR like camera. Hmm, that's good enough I will say. Ehh, have a few SLR at home but own by my dad. Extremely heavy to carry around and real bulky but I refer them though.

kent_ridge said:
DSLR? Oh what's that? Wow, that's like a lot of things to learn.

Okie, thanks. So it's a SLR like camera. Hmm, that's good enough I will say. Ehh, have a few SLR at home but own by my dad. Extremely heavy to carry around and real bulky but I refer them though.

DSLR = Digital SLR, True SLR digital Camera. Cameras like Nikon D100, D70, Canon 1D, 1Ds, 1D MKII, D30, D60, 10D, 300D, Sigma SA9 / SA10, Pentax *ist, Fuji Spro 1,2,3 ... etc etc :)... Similar to Interchangable SLR, they can change lenses ;)

They have the capability of SLR, which uses true mirror, thus their LCD do not show what you see. Energy Saving :).

slrs have mirror slap while a non slr wont have the mirror slap... the loud chack chack sound. to me thats the best way for a newbie to tell whats a slr and whats not...

35mm slr, medium format slr, dlsr whatever... they will have the mirror slap.

Okie, thanks a lot..

showtime said:
slrs have mirror slap while a non slr wont have the mirror slap... the loud chack chack sound. to me thats the best way for a newbie to tell whats a slr and whats not...

35mm slr, medium format slr, dlsr whatever... they will have the mirror slap.

Think canon Slient Mirror Techonolgy .... no mirror slap sound ;).

blurblock said:
Not all SLR can change lens ;) ..... hehehe.... some old flim camera with fixed Lens are called Fixed Lens SLR :) .... hehehe.....

whoops, thanks for the clarification! :D Guess you learn new things everyday (especially true when you are mugging for exams like me and should be studying instead of posting here! :cry: )

blurblock said:

Hee~! I was just thinking about the classic camera that have fixed lens, and was using the "new" SLR technology, when you mention this fixed lens SLR thingie. Spot on blurblock! :thumbsup:

Think a lot of people have the perception that SLR refer to those camera that have the capability of changing the lens, and not realising that SLR only refer to the technology in which the image is reflected directly to the viewfinder. There are indeed SLR camera that have don't have the capability of changing lens, and there are also non-SLR cameras that have could conversely use different lenses. Confused? :D

Oh! Oh! Then there's also the TLR!! :blah:

TLR? Okie, explain again. Yah, no harm knowing more things. Not so confusing when I kept track of the posts one by one. Maybe I will be if I read them all in a go.

Prosumer Digital Camera? That's the name for FZ10? Okie, question again, what does it mean. Oh well, I am just a blur head here. Hmm... What other kind of cameras do we have?

justarius said:
whoops, thanks for the clarification! :D Guess you learn new things everyday (especially true when you are mugging for exams like me and should be studying instead of posting here! :cry: )

You are not the only one studying :) .... me exam on Thursday and me now writing this too .... whahahahahah.... u from NTU?

same here.. but in secondary school... LOL.. really NEWBIE

kent_ridge said:
TLR? Okie, explain again. Yah, no harm knowing more things. Not so confusing when I kept track of the posts one by one. Maybe I will be if I read them all in a go.

Prosumer Digital Camera? That's the name for FZ10? Okie, question again, what does it mean. Oh well, I am just a blur head here. Hmm... What other kind of cameras do we have?

TLR = Twin Lens Reflex, instead of using Single Lens Reflex like SLR, it uses two lenses instead of one. It does not have lenses to change and the lenses on the body are fixed. The concept is used in Entry Level Medium Format Camera, such as Yashica TLR or Seagull TLR. They are known as 120/220 format instead of the 35mm format as we commonly know. However, I am not a Medium format user, thus I can't really comment about that.

Prosumer = Professional Consumer (or something like that, terms created by camera creator to differenciate between Consumer and slightly above consumer but below professional bodies).

FZ10 is just one of the Prosumer camera. Gray area there. Then there is of course the Point and Shoot Idiot Proof camera which I can never get the hang of.

Also got Direct type cameras, e.g Fuji GX617 panaromic... :D

nah, me not from NTU, studying in London. On top of exams still got thesis to write... :sweat:

Oh. Okie, thanks!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.