Slr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowcrash

Jan 18, 2002
Western SG
Visit site
Any test out the new F55 nikon SLR yet?

Hear from someone it is the entry-level SLR and CHEAPEST nikon so far!

yes. played with it at Cathay Photo this afternoon - very nice.

first impressions - very small and light like toy camera but sturdy construction. AF is very fast and accurate. shutter sounds real nice.

its a bit too small for my hands tho, and at a glance looks like an oversized digicam.

seems to be popular even tho just launched - in one hour at CP, saw at least 2 sets (SLR + lens kit) being sold.

Does it have all the manual functions????

Try it at Harvey Norman today, and the price is $499 (advertised on ST on Friday?)

IMHO, better grip compare to Canon EOS66.

Still deciding between these 2.

Why not get something a little better?

Originally posted by YSLee
Why not get something a little better?

unless of course you're buying a cheap body and spending the additional money on a decent 28-70 f2.8.. then I wholeheartedly agree to avoid packages where they dump an inferior lens on you that you're not going to be use after 1 year anyway :)

Originally posted by erwinx

unless of course you're buying a cheap body and spending the additional money on a decent 28-70 f2.8.. then I wholeheartedly agree to avoid packages where they dump an inferior lens on you that you're not going to be use after 1 year anyway :)

how much does it cost?

I'm interested to get the cheapest body kit with a 50f1.8 to learn. So far EOS66 (only available with kit) + 50/1.8 cost about $500++

On a budget, can spend max= $600!!!

On the other hand, F55 comes with a 28-80/3.3-5.6 kit and a better grip than EOS66 for $499....

Hmm... still undecided....

Originally posted by erwinx

Then you'll find that the AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 won't AF on your F55. :p

Then you'll find that the AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 won't AF on your F55. :p

Oops, why? I'm a newbie so don't know....

So what's the cheapest Nikon/Canon body (w/o kit) to get?

Wah.. $600 budget?

How about buying 2nd hand?

ya .. 2nd hand .. saw some1 selling EOS 300 + some accessories for $650...

see ad http://classifieds.singnet.com.sg/details.cfm?id=51
--
Have the EOS 300 (body) QD version with BP-200 vertical grip for sale at $420 and Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM lens for sale at $280. Take both for $650. Still in exellent condition with box and manual. Seldom use as it is my backup camera. Always kept in dry box.
--

Originally posted by megaweb
ya .. 2nd hand .. saw some1 selling EOS 300 + some accessories for $650...

see ad http://classifieds.singnet.com.sg/details.cfm?id=51
--
Have the EOS 300 (body) QD version with BP-200 vertical grip for sale at $420 and Canon EF 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM lens for sale at $280. Take both for $650. Still in exellent condition with box and manual. Seldom use as it is my backup camera. Always kept in dry box.
--

attractive offer ;p

Wah.. $600 budget?

How about buying 2nd hand?

Not intending to get second body as don't know how to test it...

I'm keen on learning photography with an SLR but is $600 too tight?

I'm using Mju II and Minolta Riva Zoom 75w (28-75mm) P&S now

Originally posted by Snowcrash

Not intending to get second body as don't know how to test it...

I'm keen on learning photography with an SLR but is $600 too tight?

I'm using Mju II and Minolta Riva Zoom 75w (28-75mm) P&S now

$600 is tight.

Well, you can try the 2nd hand shops. Personally, I'll prefer something like a F80 or EOS 30 to start off. Or if you don't mind, you might find a few mechanical cameras at a really cheap price. :D

I did consider the Nikon FM10 selling at $430 with 35-70 lens!!!

But then again without AF and P mode difficult to ask other to take group shot if needed.

Originally posted by Ninja
To Snowcrash,

You may want to check out the Minolta Dynax 5 also known as Maxxum 5 in USA.

Price for SLR body is S$400.00 but together with Minolta AF 28-80 and 70-300 lens will be S$610.00.

Quite near your budget with 2 lens.

So I can just get the body and 50/1.7 lens?

If so, one more model to consider...

Originally posted by Ninja
To Snowcrash,

The Minolta Dynax 5 is at the same class as Canon EOS 300, Nikon F65 and Pentax ZX-5n. This class of cameras is for beginner to amateur.

Hope the info helps.

somesay F65 is closer to EOS500N then EOS 300...

As above. Frankly, $600 is enough to get you started. No, it's not tight. It's tight if you want to buy an F100 or an EOS1v, or even an F80 or EOS30. But you really don't need any of those cameras to start out. Nice to have, but not essential by any stretch of the imagination. It's a bit like learning to drive. You don't need a new car, and you don't need a 1.6l saloon to learn to drive, nor a 3.0l beemer. Nice, but not the end of the world certainly if you don't.

Price of camera has no direct correlation to the worth of the pictures it produces. Sad to say. Over here where I am, when the average person talks about using cheap, no name equipment like lenses, they mean cheap, no name lenses. Not Sigma, Tokina and Tamron. Stuff you would never even have heard of. A lot of the people I know are lucky if they get a modern camera from a current line. Far more usual are the Canon F1s, Nikon FMs, Olympus OM10s. Occasionally the Pentax MZ50, the Canon EOS 500n, the Nikon F60. And the fact is, a lot (but not all) of these people take excellent pictures.

There are two main points I am trying to get across. One is that the camera is just a tool, and the most important part of the picture taking process is you. Learn to forget the bells and whistles, and start to see. Second, modern technology has made it such that the average $400 camera now has more bells and whistles than even the best cameras from 10 years ago. I'd like to think they were taking brilliant photos 10 years ago.

You're better off catering wisely with your $600 than just buying the best there is out there for that price. For starters, as a photographer you will better appreciate having a good camera bag, a decent tripod and a cable release. That will knock off more than you imagine, and a lot of people skimp on this section or completely forget to take it into account. Don't. And if you're new to the photo industry, these cost more than you think they will.

And don't forget film either. I know of some photographers who will throw $1500 at a new lens, but balk at spending $$$ on film and processing. You will be a FAR better photographer with a $200 lens, and $1500 of film costs, than vice versa. The above also applies for camera bodies. However, I do admit that you will have a far newer and more fancy camera outfit to admire if you go the other way.

I can't recommend anything specific, but IMO searching for a good second hand deal is an excellent way to go. Preferably have someone who knows something about cameras give you a hand, otherwise you have to be very careful. Otherwise you have to be cautious because as with any second hand business there are a lot of sharks out there.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.