SLR to DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcwpsl

Oct 3, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
New to digital photography. Thinking of getting a DSLR but was warned of certain differences in how a DSLR would behave compared to a conventional SLR.

Main thing I do not understand is the focal length of DSLR. Was told that a DSLR focal length:SLR focal length is about 1.5 times (or was it the other way round :dunno:) What does that mean? How does it affect the way I take pictures on a DSLR vs an SLR?

Thanks in advance

a 50mm lens becomes like a 75mm lens on a DSLR. you'll suddenly find that your wide angle lenses are not as wide. it does not affect otherwise.

take note that this does not happen on all dslr cameras....
most but not all...

showtime said:
take note that this does not happen on all dslr cameras....
most but not all...

Happens on all affordable DSLRs :bsmilie: heheheheheeeee

Main difference I think is that on a DSLR you are likely to acquire the 'any photo also take' syndrome :D

A 50mm lens perspective is still 50mm whether on DSLR or SLR, but if your DSLR has a crop of 1.5 then the cropped image will cover as much as a 75mm lens (1.5 x 50mm).

What it means is that the captured area of any normal 35mm film lens is reduced. Imagine using an image projector, shooting the image to the wall an image of 3m by 2m but your screen is only 2m by 1.6m, so the rest of the image goes to waste!

So, would I get what I see in the viewfinder or would I see 100% but when I download it, I'd only get part of it? :dunno:

hcwpsl said:
So, would I get what I see in the viewfinder or would I see 100% but when I download it, I'd only get part of it? :dunno:

you will get what u see in the viewfinder, which is the cropped version.

So, if I understand this correctly, I

1. will get a picture of what I see in the viewfinder.
2. will not be able to use my zoom lenses the way I was able to on my SLR. My 50mm lens would behave like a 100mm lens (or the other way round???)

Someone lend the guy a 10D.

Why don't you come down for SEED today? Peninsula Plaza food court 1830. Someone's sure to bring a dSLR along. You can try out for yourself side by side with your SLR lenses.

showtime said:
haha
how i know, cs people very rich one...

Yah, I agree, think I must find another forum :(

hehe.......

It's not the camera, it's the photographer. Rich or poor not important.

Given the crop of 1.5, your zoom 50-200 will become 75-300. The issue is always less coverage, and wide angle lenses are costly.

That's the main reason why I am not using a DSLR, the lenses are just too expensive for me.

Thanks much guys (and gals) :D ... Can't make it for SEEDs tonight but will do so some other time. :(

yowch said:
It's not the camera, it's the photographer. Rich or poor not important.
Oh no, get a life man, and spare all of us the ageless agument... :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

My first post here...pardon me if I make any mistakes.

The so-called focal length "multiplication" is probably not a very good conceptual term to use. Think of it as "crop factor" instead.

On non-full-frame DSLRs (e.g. EOS 10D) because the frame area is smaller than a conventional 35mm frame, it captures less of an area compared to film SLRs.

Therefore, a DSLR with a focal length multiplication of 1.6 at 50mm will have the same cropping as a SLR at 50 x 1.6 = 80mm, but will still display the same characteristics as a 50mm lens (i.e. minimal distortion, etc.).

This is, I believe, the reason why digital camera zooms are expressed in terms of 3x, 6x, etc. because each manufacturer comes up with slightly different sensor sizes and hence have different absolute focal lengths on their camera lens.

Only high-end DSLRs will a full-frame sensor (e.g. EOS 1Ds) will not exhibit this kind of focal length multiplication problem (or feature, if you prefer).

Status
Not open for further replies.