SLR to DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

smtan24

Dec 21, 2005
Tampines
My wife commented my photos when I took with my SLR look better than my DSLR. I realise that what she said was true. It seem with a DSLR I didn't seem to compose my photos with much though and I just snap away. With my SLR I thought first before I snap. Anbody else with this problem.

smtan24 said:
My wife commented my photos when I took with my SLR look better than my DSLR. I realise that what she said was true. It seem with a DSLR I didn't seem to compose my photos with much though and I just snap away. With my SLR I thought first before I snap. Anbody else with this problem.
The problem with free vs not free.. Just think about the shutter count and you will shoot with more care. :)

It's probably just a mindset, or it's just the 'breaking in' period when you're still new to something and getting used to using it. Arguably, quantity goes up and quality goes down with digital because there's a tendency to snap something when it looks 'nice'.

Anyway, I'm going the other way myself, having done digital always, and only dabbling in film yesterday, so I've yet to see if the theory is indeed true. It's great having both mediums to try.

I do agree that when i use my P&S i just go shutter crazy :D yea i guess the part about realising that you are paying for very shot does take a toll on you..

smtan24 said:

I am like that. SLR is still the better way to learn photography. DSLR just makes me lazy and "shoot first, ask questions later". :thumbsd:

I reserve my SLR (now I shoot exclusively on slides on my SLR) for "artwork", while I use my DSLR for "snapshots". Now how's that to prove the theory? ;)

Because there's no instant review, I just have to take it by faith I got the shot I want with my SLR. With DSLR, "don't like, shoot again."

simple. tell ur wifey... film for serious shooter, digital for casual shooter ...

swtich back? Don't! .. must try RF or MF,LF .... photography isnt' just 35mm :p kekeke

lsisaxon said:
The problem with free vs not free.. Just think about the shutter count and you will shoot with more care. :)

But SLRs do have a shutter count limit too mah right?

I don't own a DSLR though. Sometimes when i bring my SLR to events shoots and a wedding one yesterday, people always have this mindset that everyone now is sing DSLR and when some approached me to look at the pics and when i told them it's film, they just looked disappointed. Just like when the bride wanted to look at my pics yesterday, i told her that mine's film and then she said 'chey'.

Haizz...so demoralising. :(

Snoweagle said:
But SLRs do have a shutter count limit too mah right?
Yeah.. but your film will cost more than that. :)

fWord said:
It's probably just a mindset, or it's just the 'breaking in' period when you're still new to something and getting used to using it. Arguably, quantity goes up and quality goes down with digital because there's a tendency to snap something when it looks 'nice'.

Anyway, I'm going the other way myself, having done digital always, and only dabbling in film yesterday, so I've yet to see if the theory is indeed true. It's great having both mediums to try.
For someone who is very familiar with film, you will tend to check things twice because you release the shutter because you must make sure that you got that shot right. For digital, if you don't get it, you will know from the preview and you can always shoot again. People tend to forget to think. But think of the amount of junk data you will accumulate and you will also think twice before you shoot. Also, think about the times when you know that if you missed a good shot because your settings are wrong and you missed another one because you need to look at the LCD? :) All these should become very natural.

I use to use a Minolta Dynax 5. Took quite a few good shots withat camera. Regretfully I sold it off.

get a manual lens, let u think before shoot...

lsisaxon said:
For someone who is very familiar with film, you will tend to check things twice because you release the shutter because you must make sure that you got that shot right. For digital, if you don't get it, you will know from the preview and you can always shoot again. People tend to forget to think. But think of the amount of junk data you will accumulate and you will also think twice before you shoot. Also, think about the times when you know that if you missed a good shot because your settings are wrong and you missed another one because you need to look at the LCD? :) All these should become very natural.

On the 'thinking' side of things, the very act of shooting with film certainly helps. During yesterday's outing I was working with an old manual focus film camera and found myself looking through the viewfinder for long periods at a time, and even so I backed out at the last minute, deciding not to press the shutter button at all.

In a way though, it was enlightening to just shoot the scene once or twice and then move on...no need to look at LCD screens or spend time reviewing the image. Much as I'd like to see all my images now, I can't though, unfortunately. Most of the others from the outing are already posting their images up! :cry:

Once you have an SLR, you'll want a DSLR
Once you have an DSLR, you'll want a SLR

And so it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.