SLR recommendations ON THE CHEAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psight

Jan 24, 2005
hi, i'm looking to get into SLRs, budget's kinda tight at below $450 for a brand new set, got any recommendations?

preferably from Canon and Nikon please. thank you. :D

If you are new and not sure what to look for in a SLR set, I'd suggest you get a second hand one to try out and sell it away when you are getting the model that you really want. You can get film SLR at a low price in the B&S forum sue to the low demand.

However if you insist on getting a brand new set and considering between Canon and Nikon. I suggest you go and research on the lenses and accessories available, which of them suits your need more, as we are talking about a whole system than just a camera body.

hahahaha.. $450.. u can set back for a 2nd hand F90 or Nikon 501. hahahaha... impossible for u to get new at $450 leh... maybe the F80...

i am sure u can get some Nikons at at price..

suggest you get used too, don't have to worry so much since your typical above average SLRs are quite hardy. just make sure you inspect the condition of the camera, esp the mirror and shutter well.

I think you can get better models at 2nd hands. I got a second hand FM2 (can't remember how much) but after that never regretted my buy. the resale value will always be there too.

I just went to check out some cameras and I guess the cameras around my budget brand new are the Nikon F55 (yeah i actually found it, haha) and the Canon EOS 3000V for about $500.

What do you guys think of these 2 cameras?
Or should I just convince my parents of getting a second-hand one instead? I know there are a lot of good offers second-hand, but my parents are paying, you see, and they want the warranty and stuff. =/

f55 is more of a toy, u will outgrow that camera soon. eos3000v is pretty much the same. no point in those entry level bodies. go for something midrange instead, either the f80 from nikon or the eos 30/33 from canon.

a brand new f80 should cost somewhere in the range of 600 for a new body. i suggest that u find one 2nd hand for maybe 400-450 range.

~MooEy~

psight said:
I just went to check out some cameras and I guess the cameras around my budget brand new are the Nikon F55 (yeah i actually found it, haha) and the Canon EOS 3000V for about $500.

What do you guys think of these 2 cameras?
Or should I just convince my parents of getting a second-hand one instead? I know there are a lot of good offers second-hand, but my parents are paying, you see, and they want the warranty and stuff. =/

F55 limited function, and I not sure about 3000v.... What I know is F 55 lense is f/ 3.3 and canon one is f/4..... No depth of field preview button for F55 (300X have)....

For me, I jump into a 300X (around $500 like this from MS).... It is the Latest.. Sept 04.... It have 6 customise function, and you can do second curtain flash, and you also can do wireless flash set up with this camera too when you use ST-E2 with 420/550/580 flash..... 550 and 580 can be used as a Master controller too for a wireless set up... and it have E-TTL II.... Nikon cannot do this wireless set up with F55, and I think only their digital series can do this....

The above are part of the reason I jump into the 300X camera... as I was in your position recently... But the kit lens is not so great.... 28-90mm, I have vignetting when I play with the aperture, and so, if you play with the function, a better lens should be on your plan...

If you can afford, maybe the EOS 30 is ideal too.... but if this is your first new EOS.... get something reasonable, and then, play with it... and when you are more confident, upgrade to better ones.... maybe by then, digital price will crash.. who know.....

I think 300X is much better than F 55 in my opinion, but I am only a newbie too, so better listen to others too... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.