SLR Noise problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

thoa_rs

Jan 10, 2003
Siglap
Visit site
Went out taking some pics using my EOS300 with Kodak Max 400 film, the pics turned out great but unfortunately there was quite some visible noise even in the day time shots. I've been taking pics with the similar film and iso setting (400) for a long time and the noise hasn't been so visible before.
Could the problem be traced to the shop which I developed the photos at? I was kinda in a rush so I just developed the film at some neighbourhood shop. Can this cause noise?

hmm... my other guess is that the pics are (badly) underexposed. compensating for the underexposed pics led to excessive grains.

Do the pics consist a lot of bright areas like the sky?

Originally posted by mpenza
hmm... my other guess is that the pics are (badly) underexposed. compensating for the underexposed pics led to excessive grains.

Do the pics consist a lot of bright areas like the sky?

Most of the pics are nicely exposed, some of them consist of skies but the really visible grainy ones were normal indoor shots taken using P mode.

guess you're using the built in flash. they have a low GN around 10 to 12 i think, which is insufficient for more distant objects say more than 4 meters which might result in underexposure for the object.

To be sure whether the film is underexposed, you can check the negatives.

While Kodak Max 400 has a notorious reputation, I guess it does work at times. Do consider trying Fuji Xtra 400 to compare if you haven't.

Originally posted by igpenguin
To be sure whether the film is underexposed, you can check the negatives.

While Kodak Max 400 has a notorious reputation, I guess it does work at times. Do consider trying Fuji Xtra 400 to compare if you haven't.

thanks for the input, but how do i tell whether the negatives are underexposed?

the lab people would be able to tell you that.

yes, Kodak Max400 not very good.. grainy is the general comment. Try Fujifilm Superia Xtra400. very reliable. Pushable to ISO800 without much noise .. reliable. ;)

Originally posted by SniperD
the lab people would be able to tell you that.

yes, Kodak Max400 not very good.. grainy is the general comment. Try Fujifilm Superia Xtra400. very reliable. Pushable to ISO800 without much noise .. reliable. ;)

even if i use iso100 setting will the pics still appear grainy?

Try switching to Fujifilm and see if the graininess persists. It might be due to mild underexposure. To correct that, you could always either apply +0.3EV or underrate the negatives to be safe. i.e ISO320 for ISO400 film.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
Try switching to Fujifilm and see if the graininess persists. It might be due to mild underexposure. To correct that, you could always either apply +0.3EV or underrate the negatives to be safe. i.e ISO320 for ISO400 film.

thanks, i'll go try it out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.