SLR-like cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvincrew

Feb 11, 2008
Hey all, i've been thinking to get a SLR-like camera but can't really make decision on which one to get. :dunno:

Am currently considering panasonic FX18 and fuji S5800. Is there any other SLR-like cameras that worth considering? What should i compare and look out for when selecting a SLR-like camera?

Thanks in advance! :)

FZ18 confirm better than S5800
For this price range, you can look at Canon S5IS

interesting upcoming models are the casio ex-f1 and fujifilm s100fs.

Hey all, i've been thinking to get a SLR-like camera but can't really make decision on which one to get. :dunno:

Am currently considering panasonic FX18 and fuji S5800. Is there any other SLR-like cameras that worth considering? What should i compare and look out for when selecting a SLR-like camera?

Thanks in advance! :)

Why bother with a DSLR-like when you can get a real DSLR for not much more? Get the D40.

advantage of an ultra zoom (aka SLR-like camera):
  • Portability: have WA, Std, and Tele in an all-in-one lens. No need to carry several heavy lenses when go on a trip. Imagine how many lenses you will need to carry to cover the 28-500mm range with your dslr system?
  • Economy: costs less since you won't be buying all the different lenses. At most one or two converters only.
  • Usability: have all the necessary settings such as Manual, Av, Tv, P and Auto similar to the dslr. Can also take 30fps movies instead of carry a separate video camera just to do that.
  • Regretability: if eventually you find out that photography is not your cup of tea, the loss will be much less compare to a full dslr system. :)

advantage of an ultra zoom (aka SLR-like camera):
  • Portability: have WA, Std, and Tele in an all-in-one lens. No need to carry several heavy lenses when go on a trip. Imagine how many lenses you will need to carry to cover the 28-500mm range with your dslr system?
  • Economy: costs less since you won't be buying all the different lenses. At most one or two converters only.
  • Usability: have all the necessary settings such as Manual, Av, Tv, P and Auto similar to the dslr. Can also take 30fps movies instead of carry a separate video camera just to do that.
  • Regretability: if eventually you find out that photography is not your cup of tea, the loss will be much less compare to a full dslr system. :)

The downside is that there might be a tendency for the user not being able to find his/her passion in photography because of the slow response and poorer image quality. Not being able to get the picture you want when you want it is a real put off for me. I have a number of PnS myself but if you put composition and exposure aside, most good stuff are shot with DSLRs because of the timing and the images are able to give a sense of depth while the PnS images would look flat because of the inability to achieve a shallower depth of field for selective focus.

Bottomline.. if you want to get hooked, get a DSLR... ;p /!\ POISON /!\

I'd take a D40 with an 18-200 VR anytime if that's the case. Shooting at 500mm with a compact? Nah..... :)
But if die die must choose, I guess it's between Canon Powershot S5 IS and Panasonic Lumix FZ18. I've personally tried the FZ18 and I think it's quite decent. I've tried another Olympus superzoom but didn't really like it. But super compact.

I guess I'm saying this coz I can't go back to using a compact on travels/or even as a primary camera. Shutter lag time, slow startup times, no viewfinder perspective (only EVF at the most)... it's not the kind of experience I want, and I'm prepared to carry more gear for the tradeoff :)

The downside is that there might be a tendency for the user not being able to find his/her passion in photography because of the slow response and poorer image quality. Not being able to get the picture you want when you want it is a real put off for me. I have a number of PnS myself but if you put composition and exposure aside, most good stuff are shot with DSLRs because of the timing and the images are able to give a sense of depth while the PnS images would look flat because of the inability to achieve a shallower depth of field for selective focus.

Bottomline.. if you want to get hooked, get a DSLR... ;p /!\ POISON /!\
I think your statement can also be view from the other angle. i.e. to start off with an ultra zoom and get the taste of what the camera can and cannot do. If the "cannot do" part is not important to that person and he/she is happy with what is on offer from their ultra zoom, then, there is no need to get into dslr. If they have found that the ultra zoom is limiting their ability to take better photos, then, the natural next step will be to move to a dslr system.

I see people who are perfectly happy with their ultra zoom and people (quite a few I must admit) sell their ultra zoom after a year or so to get their first taste of dslr.

Rather than start off with dslr and use only the AUTO mode to shoot pictures as if it is a P&S.

I think your statement can also be view from the other angle. i.e. to start off with an ultra zoom and get the taste of what the camera can and cannot do. If the "cannot do" part is not important to that person and he/she is happy with what is on offer from their ultra zoom, then, there is no need to get into dslr. If they have found that the ultra zoom is limiting their ability to take better photos, then, the natural next step will be to move to a dslr system.

I see people who are perfectly happy with their ultra zoom and people (quite a few I must admit) sell their ultra zoom after a year or so to get their first taste of dslr.

Rather than start off with dslr and use only the AUTO mode to shoot pictures as if it is a P&S.

You have a point there.. I guess there are people who just want to take snapshots just for keepsake and don't really care about the image quality.

Well, yes and no. Apart from a Canon 350D, I also own a Canon S5 IS and a Fujifilm F31fd. On a recent Europe trip, because of the tight schedule, I decided to only bring my S5 IS and the F31fd. I can say I have no regret since we are on the move the whole time (apart from sitting in a coach going from country to country). And the image from S5 IS is very good including the indoor shots (I also brought along the 430EX flash).

Well, yes and no. Apart from a Canon 350D, I also own a Canon S5 IS and a Fujifilm F31fd. On a recent Europe trip, because of the tight schedule, I decided to only bring my S5 IS and the F31fd. I can say I have no regret since we are on the move the whole time (apart from sitting in a coach going from country to country). And the image from S5 IS is very good including the indoor shots (I also brought along the 430EX flash).

Canon does make pretty good PnS. I was using my dad's S80 for a company trip to Europe, I have gotten good images with it but just regretted I didn't bring my DSLR because I prefer Nikon's colour rendition and believe that I could have gotten better images. The PnS was seriously limiting what I could have shot.

For my last Europe trip, the whole agenda is such a rush so the S5 IS is just perfect. If I go on a shooting trip, then definitely it will be my 350D.

For my last Europe trip, the whole agenda is such a rush so the S5 IS is just perfect. If I go on a shooting trip, then definitely it will be my 350D.

Yeah.. if it's a rush then there's not much you can do too. :dunno:

Exactly. Not much scenic shots on its own. Always with my wife's face popping up somewhere in the photos. :D

When we got back and when I sort through the photos, my wife keep asking why am I selecting all those without her in it. :bsmilie:

Exactly. Not much scenic shots on its own. Always with my wife's face popping up somewhere in the photos. :D

When we got back and when I sort through the photos, my wife keep asking why am I selecting all those without her in it. :bsmilie:

Hahaha... She might think you don't like to see her face.. ;p

hey guys, thanks very much for your replies.

The reason why i didnt want to take up a DSLR is because i enjoy point-and-shoot most of time and i dont like the maintenence required to take proper care of a DSLR. I have considered entry DSLR but i really think that i'll end up being another one of those people who don't use fully utilize their DSLR cameras. Perhaps i'll dive into the DSLR world but definately not soon, perhaps 3 or 4 years down the road. For now, i'm looking at the DSLR-like for advantages like compactability, semi-manual functions and decent image quality/zoom (compared to consumer's). :)

I've narrowed down to a few cameras:
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
Fujifilm 9600
Fujifilm 6500fd

I'm looking at shutter speed functions (i prefer to have a good min/max range) and also relatively good noise reduction. Anyone here have experience with the these cameras? :)

hey guys, thanks very much for your replies.

The reason why i didnt want to take up a DSLR is because i enjoy point-and-shoot most of time and i dont like the maintenence required to take proper care of a DSLR. I have considered entry DSLR but i really think that i'll end up being another one of those people who don't use fully utilize their DSLR cameras. Perhaps i'll dive into the DSLR world but definately not soon, perhaps 3 or 4 years down the road. For now, i'm looking at the DSLR-like for advantages like compactability, semi-manual functions and decent image quality/zoom (compared to consumer's). :)

I've narrowed down to a few cameras:
Panasonic Lumix FZ18
Fujifilm 9600
Fujifilm 6500fd

I'm looking at shutter speed functions (i prefer to have a good min/max range) and also relatively good noise reduction. Anyone here have experience with the these cameras? :)

i'm not sure about other cameras, but FZ18 is not bad alrdy.
can set 60 secs shutter, auto bracketing too.
Noise wise, not so good.
Definitely 6500fd is better

Also check out Panasonic Lumix FZ50 for a more SLR-like feel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.