SLR lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddy C

Mar 5, 2005
Can SLR lenses fit on digital cameras?

Do they screw onto the camera or clipped on or any other way?

My camera has a 37mm screw on ring.

Most SLR lens will be able to fit to SLR Digitial cameras provided they are of the same make or made to fit a particular brand.
It will Not fit to Non SLR digital cameras.

If I am not wrong you are not using a DSLR (37mm screw on ring)
so SRL lenses are not designed to mount on your camera.

Unless there are some very creative people who have made a contraption that will allow it to be done.

Why don't you ask or look for more information with regards to your camera make/model. Other uses of the same camera will surly know more.

I think he IS using a digital camera. Sounds like a digital point and shoot with a 37mm screw ring.

If that's indeed what Freddy is asking....well...the answer is no.

I think what freddy is refering is those add on converter lenses on DCs, not Single Lens Reflex (digital/non-digital) lenses. SLR Lenses don't mount on the body with threads like your filters. And most major manufacturers have their own mounding which is different from one another. u Can't use a nikon SLR lens on a Canon without a converter and without loosing AF functionality.

If I am not wrong there are some lenses that mount via screw tread.

eg pentax and some european cameras.(very old)
Can someone verify?

ortega said:

Can someone verify?
Go such things Gia? go pic?... I wanna see see.... :think:

ortega said:

Can someone verify?

yes there screw mounted cams.. afaik mainly for manual lens

but to answer freddy's question... nope slr lens are not ment to be mated with digicams... exceptions are for macro/close-up setups where normally a slr lens is REVERSED mounted.

technically, you can shoot through a (unreversed) slr lens...it's akin to shooting through something like a telescope less the ability to focus the slr lens independently and the magnification are dependent on the focal length and afaik, such adapters are non-existant.

Okay, thanks guys for the answers.

I should have made it clear that I'm not using a DSLR but a point and shoot sony DSC-W1.

I just wondered if any SLR lens fitted onto 37mm threads, or any converters, but it doesn't look like it.

Oh well, I'm hoping my next cam upgrade will be a DSLR.

Edit: I have checked out the sony site (the first place I went ot in fact), but their digicam lens are limited in terms of range and function. But I still will purchase one in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.