SLR into DSLR?

linnng

Dec 5, 2010
Hello all CSers!

I currently have an old SLR but i am wondering if i should upgrade to an DSLR. is there any difference in picture quality? i can't make up my mind! i got a few lens for the SLR and if i upgrade, can i use them on the DSLR via some mount or something..any help will be much appreciated!!

Well, your SLR used film and a DSLR doesn't. Some people swear that analog film is still the best in terms of IQ. I tend to agree, but that's just me.

But the main advantage of a DSLR is that you can shoot hundreds of pictures and not pay for anything until you print stuff.

Well, your SLR used film and a DSLR doesn't. Some people swear that analog film is still the best in terms of IQ. I tend to agree, but that's just me.

But the main advantage of a DSLR is that you can shoot hundreds of pictures and not pay for anything until you print stuff.

that the factor that made me look into DSLR.. but do you happen to know if i can reuse mySLR lens on a DSLR??

I shoot both, my DSLR and a RF.

The reason why I still shoot films, is it really gives the feelings in the pictures.. Something that words can't describe...

F1000033 by jerrold2010, on Flickr​

I shoot both, my DSLR and a RF.

The reason why I still shoot films, is it really gives the feelings in the pictures.. Something that words can't describe...

F1000033 by jerrold2010, on Flickr​

wow! thats a very nice picture! and i know what you means.. haiz.. i'm having a war with my heart.. btw, can i mount lenses of SLR into DSLR??

what slr and what lenses do you have ?

i got a Nikon F-401s. for the lens , i have a AF Nikkor 28-85 mm f3.5- 4.5 , AF Nikkor 70-210mm F4 - 5.6D and a Nikkor 50mm F1.2 .. :)

wow! thats a very nice picture! and i know what you means.. haiz.. i'm having a war with my heart.. btw, can i mount lenses of SLR into DSLR??

If it's Nikon, then I am not too sure. Most probably can. I once own a Nikon F70 and a Tokina 28-80mm lens and it can be used on my friend's D90.

For Canon, it is divided into FD Mount and EOS Mount so it is not the same.

linnng said:
i got a Nikon F-401s. for the lens , i have a AF Nikkor 28-85 mm f3.5- 4.5 , AF Nikkor 70-210mm F4 - 5.6D and a Nikkor 50mm F1.2 .. :)

Yes, your lenses can be used on Nikon's DSLRs. Notice your lenses are not AFS types. This means you lose autofocus with the entry level DSLRSs which do not have a motor to drive the lens. Only the higher end models D300, D700, D3, etc allow autofocus on such lenses.

If it's Nikon, then I am not too sure. Most probably can. I once own a Nikon F70 and a Tokina 28-80mm lens and it can be used on my friend's D90.

For Canon, it is divided into FD Mount and EOS Mount so it is not the same.

i see i see.. thanks for your input! :)

Yes, your lenses can be used on Nikon's DSLRs. Notice your lenses are not AFS types. This means you lose autofocus with the entry level DSLRSs which do not have a motor to drive the lens. Only the higher end models D300, D700, D3, etc allow autofocus on such lenses.

is there any other way i can enable them?? like buying a mount or something.. it will be a pity if i can't auto focus them..

is there any other way i can enable them?? like buying a mount or something.. it will be a pity if i can't auto focus them..

Nope... you'll have to use the better cameras, such as at least a D80, D90 and above. :)

And you can't use any of the entry level ones such as D3100, D5000, D7000, etc...

Nope... you'll have to use the better cameras, such as at least a D80, D90 and above. :)

aww.. that nt a good thing.. that will set me back by a min of 600 ,700 dollars.. thanks anyway for your help!! :)

For Nikon DSLR Bodies, not ALL Bodies allows them to Auto Focus, that is becasue the DSLR Bodies are not equiped with the Auto Focus motor, thus unable to Auto Focus with your lenses.

Bodies NOT Equiped with Auto Focus Motor ::
- Nikon D3000
- Nikon D5000
- Nikon D3100

Bodies Equiped with Auto Focus Motor ::

- Nikon D90
- Nikon D300
- Nikon D300s
- Nikon D7000
- Nikon D700

For Nikon DSLR Bodies, not ALL Bodies allows them to Auto Focus, that is becasue the DSLR Bodies are not equiped with the Auto Focus motor, thus unable to Auto Focus with your lenses.

Bodies NOT Equiped with Auto Focus Motor ::
- Nikon D3000
- Nikon D5000
- Nikon D3100

Bodies Equiped with Auto Focus Motor ::

- Nikon D90
- Nikon D300
- Nikon D300s
- Nikon D7000
- Nikon D700

so that leaves me with the choice of either buying a higher end model to use back my lens or to stick with my SLR.. thanks though! :)

so that leaves me with the choice of either buying a higher end model to use back my lens or to stick with my SLR.. thanks though! :)

You are welcome, hope you make your decision right.

And you can't use any of the entry level ones such as D3100, D5000, D7000, etc...

Aaah... D7000 is not entry-level...