SLR for advanced amateur?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mori

Dec 1, 2005
Singapore
Hi guys.

Any recommendations for a film SLR for advanced amateurs? So far I've had people recommending either the Canon EOS 3 (although I heard that it's been discontinued) or 30V. I don't think I'm quite up for a pro camera but I would like one that has manual features so I can at least play around with some of the functions and gradually hone my craft from there. Also, I know there are many people who favor Nikon as well so do throw out your suggestions! And thanks so much for your help! =)

The Nikon F80 would be perfect for you and you can often find them second-hand at bargain prices. This was my step-up from a F65 and the difference was quite staggering. Beautiful camera - still use it.

film slr for advance amateurs...hmmmm?

try a nikon F801 or F601, full manual and auto features, take your pick. or better still, pentax K1000, P30T, spotmatic, minolta X700, SRT101, 202, 303, nikon FM, FM2, FM3 (FE, FA, etc.), canon F1, FTb. there's lots more...

EOS 3 :thumbsup:

its still in production

Hi guys.

Any recommendations for a film SLR for advanced amateurs? So far I've had people recommending either the Canon EOS 3 (although I heard that it's been discontinued) or 30V. I don't think I'm quite up for a pro camera but I would like one that has manual features so I can at least play around with some of the functions and gradually hone my craft from there. Also, I know there are many people who favor Nikon as well so do throw out your suggestions! And thanks so much for your help! =)

I believe most of the SLRs have manual option. Now, it's a matter of choosing a brand that you're comfortable with. Also do you want the Auto functionability when needed?

If not, choose one of those older fully manual cameras. But note that you'd probably need to take some time to get the settings right for your pictures each time. This time will reduce once you're used to the camera.

Check also the availability of the lenses when you choose the camera. Some may not be supported as well these days. ;)

How about the Nikon F90x, F100, F5, FM3a ?

canon ae-1 program ? No AF but good for learning

The Nikon F80 would be perfect for you and you can often find them second-hand at bargain prices. This was my step-up from a F65 and the difference was quite staggering. Beautiful camera - still use it.

Yes I've had people who swear by that one! Is it compatible with many lenses? Not sure how much it's going for in the market though. . .

Anyone with an F80 to let go? :)

Try the buy/sell sub-forum...

post a WTB ad...

Hahaha, I did in fact. For some strange reason everyone stopped selling them the moment I started looking for one! There used to be quite a lot of CS-ers eager to let go of their F80!

Hahaha, I did in fact. For some strange reason everyone stopped selling them the moment I started looking for one! There used to be quite a lot of CS-ers eager to let go of their F80!

IMO, should not cost more than $200 if u are going looking for one :thumbsup: .

Status
Not open for further replies.