Status
Not open for further replies.

antere

Dec 16, 2002
North Eastern end of SG
Visit site
Hi there.

Just a curious question...

My dad used to own a Nikon F801 SLR and he also has 2 sets of AF lens.

I wonder if the lenses are compabitible with DSLRs out there especially the lower end ones like 300D or the upcoming Nikon D7.

Hope you can advice. Thanks many! :)

antere said:
Hi there.

Just a curious question...

I wonder if the lenses are compabitible with DSLRs out there especially the lower end ones like 300D or the upcoming Nikon D7.

Hope you can advice. Thanks many! :)

canon lenses are only compatible with canon bodies, same for nikon.

i'm not a nikonian, but i do understand that the VR lenses can't be used on the F90x and certain bodies, and also, there's some issues about compatibility between the D and G lenses. see your friendly nikon dealer or one of the experienced nikon users for advice ;)

sehsuan said:
i'm not a nikonian, but i do understand that the VR lenses can't be used on the F90x and certain bodies, and also, there's some issues about compatibility between the D and G lenses. see your friendly nikon dealer or one of the experienced nikon users for advice ;)
Thanks. Perhaps I'll just check it out with any dealer out there just in case then. :)

Happy CNY! :)

antere said:

The AF lenses that go with your dad's F801 will be fully compatible with all the Nikon DSLRs (D1, D1H, D1x, D2H, D100 and the up-coming D70).

As stated earlier by sehsuan, Nikon lenses will only fit Nikon bodies. With the exception of all new lenses with the "G" designation, all the AFS and the 80-400VR will still work with the F801. VR will not function, that's all. Put it this way, I use my 17-35mm AFS constantly on my manual F3P body.

By the way, the reason why all the new VR lenses do not work with the older bodies is that they are also "G" lenses... i.e. the lens do not have an aperture ring. This means that you are stuck with one aperture only (aperture wide open - shallowest depth of field) with no way of setting the rest of the aperture range because it requires the command dial on the new bodies to electronically adjust it.

SzennyBoy said:
The AF lenses that go with your dad's F801 will be fully compatible with all the Nikon DSLRs (D1, D1H, D1x, D2H, D100 and the up-coming D70).

As stated earlier by sehsuan, Nikon lenses will only fit Nikon bodies. With the exception of all new lenses with the "G" designation, all the AFS and the 80-400VR will still work with the F801. VR will not function, that's all. Put it this way, I use my 17-35mm AFS constantly on my manual F3P body.

By the way, the reason why all the new VR lenses do not work with the older bodies is that they are also "G" lenses... i.e. the lens do not have an aperture ring. This means that you are stuck with one aperture only (aperture wide open - shallowest depth of field) with no way of setting the rest of the aperture range because it requires the command dial on the new bodies to electronically adjust it.
Hi SzennyBoy, thanks alot for your detailed explanation! It's definitely helpful and I appreciate it! Let me try to digest it. :)

ah, Szenny, thanks for the explanation!

by the way, i understand there's some form of a mechanism in the F-mount for driving the older non-G lenses for aperture or focus?

Status
Not open for further replies.