SLR Camera need to Send for Cleaning - URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karyinn

Mar 3, 2004
Hi All,

My friend lent me her Canon SLR EOS camera for my upcoming Travel Trip(she didn't use for 2 yrs :( )
Last week,I took some pictures and sent for develope to ensure if the camera is in good condition for travel.
When i saw the developed picture, it was a bit blur and the colour tone is dull. :confused:

Is that mean that i need to send the SLR camera for cleaning service? :dunno:
I am pretty sure that i use the right setting to take pictures.

Please recommend a reputable shop.
How much is the cleaning service?
Before servicing, can i get the shop ppl to check the Body for me to see if is really need to send for service?
And lastly, will i be able to take back the body within 5 days?

Hope to receive your precious advice.
Thank u

my 2 sens:

canon customer service is very good and should be able to return the cam to you within 5 days. just let them know you need it asap.

anyway, could the problem be with the lens? film?

maybe can post a pic here to let everyone know what is wrong with the pic?

Karyinn said:
Hi All,

My friend lent me her Canon SLR EOS camera for my upcoming Travel Trip(she didn't use for 2 yrs :( )
Last week,I took some pictures and sent for develope to ensure if the camera is in good condition for travel.
When i saw the developed picture, it was a bit blur and the colour tone is dull. :confused:

Is that mean that i need to send the SLR camera for cleaning service? :dunno:
I am pretty sure that i use the right setting to take pictures.

Please recommend a reputable shop.
How much is the cleaning service?
Before servicing, can i get the shop ppl to check the Body for me to see if is really need to send for service?
And lastly, will i be able to take back the body within 5 days?

Hope to receive your precious advice.
Thank u

P&G Photographic Centre@ The Adelphi. It's the building across from Funan. Look for David. Free check and quote with no obligation. This man knows his cameras. Phone number is: 6837-0696

Blur and dull need not be the camera. Could be underexposure due to certain settings u set.

Do you see any fungus in the lens?

Canon svc is good, but it takes time (a week or so in my case). Its a good idea to have someone to chk your cam tho. If the camera is ok, then the dullness may be the fault of your developer. Photo developers are many, but good ones are few. Film choice may also be the reason. Your pics may be unclear due to handshake as a result of a slow shutterspeed or poor cam handling technique. Else you may not have focused on your subject properly.
Remember that auto camera settings are not 100% accurate.

Karyinn said:
I assume you got prints made at a lab? If the prints are blur and dull it doesn't indicate anything. Frankly you can't make out anything from prints. I have got lousy prints from a particular lab in Clementi from my expensive and clean camera gear. Try a different lab. BTW which lab did you visit? Try shooting a roll of slides and check the results. Don't be in a hurry to send the camera for repairs.

Hi,

I call the canon service centre, they said need to take 1 to 2 weeks to service :(.. i am flying off next thursday.
I tried to change the lens.. and the result still abit dull... then i saw the mirror inside the body.. it's abit blur.. that's why i want to send for servicing.

snipe said:
my 2 sens:

canon customer service is very good and should be able to return the cam to you within 5 days. just let them know you need it asap.

anyway, could the problem be with the lens? film?

maybe can post a pic here to let everyone know what is wrong with the pic?

Hi sriram ,

Perhaps u are right, i will try to shoot another shot again tonight.
That roll of film, i sent to KT at chinatown. They print my digital picture nicely. But the film one really terrible. That's why i suspect is the body's mirror dirty ;(

The body mirror has no effect on pictures...

Maybe you should try Grace Digital. I have tried KT and the photos did not come out well for me too.

Karyinn said:
Hi sriram ,

Perhaps u are right, i will try to shoot another shot again tonight.
That roll of film, i sent to KT at chinatown. They print my digital picture nicely. But the film one really terrible. That's why i suspect is the body's mirror dirty ;(

Mirror got nothing to do with the final output ...... The camera "lift" the mirror up to expose the flim......

tuglaq said:
P&G at Adelphi is good, the guy there knows his stuff well...

Just plunking my 2 cents worth... David at P&G is where i go to get my Canon serviced as well. As mentioned earlier, he IS a guy who knows his cameras. Why don't you just bring it down and let him take a look at it - without obligation...

Let me reiterate : shooting print film will tell you nothing. Pay $6+ get a roll of cheap slide film and shoot a roll. Processing can be as low as $4.10. Examine the slides and see if they are murky or hazy. On the slide, what you see is the unmodified end result of shooting through your lens + camera.

sriram said:
Processing can be as low as $4.10.

sorry OT - where to get this price?

I will call david later.. need to get it check.. do they open tommorow?

Or will it because of the film which i have kept for almost 1.5yrs inside my drawer? but the expire date not yet over leh.. :sweat:

snipe said:
sorry OT - where to get this price?
Drop it off at Ruby, and they will send it to Spectra. $4.10 without mounts and $6.30 with mounts. I've been using them for 4-5 yrs now.

oh thanks man!!
seems like i had been ripped off by the neighbourhood shop...

Karyinn said:
Or will it because of the film which i have kept for almost 1.5yrs inside my drawer? but the expire date not yet over leh.. :sweat:

very likely!

Wow.. i just call David.
he sound quite nice.. i will see him tommorow.
If the camera really need to repair.
I think i will buy Canon 300D ;(..

Status
Not open for further replies.