Slot-in filter system for UWA lenses

raymond350

Mar 19, 2006
North East
www.flickr.com
I have been searching around in CS and the internet regarding slot-in filter systems for UWA lenses that does not cause vignetting (more concerned about those caused by FOV blocked by filter holder) and seems to be getting mixed response. Hence posting this thread to seek advice.

Wish to know which filter system does not cause vignetting on FF camera in the focal length of about 16~20mm range. Due to budget constraints, it would be good if fellow members could point out like which filters and holders of different brands are interchangeable as well.

From what I gathered:

1) Cokin P series- 85mm filters caused slight vignetting at 16-18mm range
2) I assumed Cokin Z series will have no vignetting at all?
3) Lee filter used with wide angle adaptor and their 100mm filters (got mixed response on this)

Do help to suggest other brands such as HiTech an also the interchangeability among those brands and parts (adaptor rings, holders and filters).

Thanks in advance :)

Not too sure abt FF, but 10-22 on my 500D with Cokin P Filter (Slim version for UWA, 1 slot only) does not vignette on it. But if a UV is attached, vignetting will occur at 10mm and will disappear at 12mm.

Not too sure abt FF, but 10-22 on my 500D with Cokin P Filter (Slim version for UWA, 1 slot only) does not vignette on it. But if a UV is attached, vignetting will occur at 10mm and will disappear at 12mm.

APS-C very different from FF.

FF should use Cokin Z series.

Do help to suggest other brands such as HiTech an also the interchangeability among those brands and parts (adaptor rings, holders and filters).

Thanks in advance :)

Hi-Tech makes filters that fit both Lee and Cokin Z which are 100mm, fyi please.

You can either use Lee filter holder + Lee/Cokin/Hi-tech or Cokin Z + Lee/Cokin/Hi-tech. Hi-tech is very good value for money.

The best solution (though not the cheapest) for you is to go straight for the "LEE Filter System" route. Purchase the "foundation kit ~ filter holder" and the relevent wide-angle adapter adapter rings. As for filters, you could make do with those from Singh-Ray, Lee or Hitech.

I have not tried the Cokin Z- or X- series holders but you get vignetting even on the Cokin P-wide at less than 20mm unless you saw off the inner groove of the P-wide holder (ie, some DIY involved). Even after this DIY (you can search from the internet), you have also to ensure that your P-wide holder is aligned vertically (not tilted) to ensure zero vignetting at focal length between (my) 17-19mm on full frame.

After all this hassle, I go the LEE route and the rest as they used to say is history.

Cokin P will vignette.

You will need one of these: Cokin Z-pro holder, Hitech 4 inch holder, or Lee foundation Kit. They are all 100mm (4 inch) holders.

Please note that with certain lenses, even the 100mm filters are not enough and you will need Cokin X-pro holder (130mm) or even the Lee SW150 (150mm) holder.

BTW, the china made versions of the 100mm holders have already reached our shores. Be sure to check those out as well. Very well made and you save quite a bit. But for filters please stick to Hitech or Lee. The new pro series from Hitech looks very promising too.

I tried asking ard the regular accessories shops, all dun have 100mm holders, care to enlighten us where to buy?

Edit: I did my window shopping yesterday btw

Thanks guys for the replies.

Probably will try out the 100mm Lee filter holder or the china made version first to see the extent of vignetting, if any.
Will then decide which brands of filters to get.